1972 Starcraft Super Sport 16' Conversion to Center Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey boaters.

I am going to pull my boat out of the dry rack this winter and convert it to a center console. I spent about 300 hours on the thing this summer and had a blast. I just couldn't stand driving it. My buddy bought a 19' Whaler Outrage which I fell in love with the concept of standing and driving.

First off, I want anyone who knows anything that could halt this project to speak up now before I tear into it. I am looking to utilize existing consoles and windshields to convert into one middle console. We will be replacing the floor, running steering and electric through PVC in the floor, and possibly replacing the transom if rotted. I am going to pull out the front bow seats and make more of a triangle pad for easy anchor access. Considering moving the battery to the console.

Here are some pics of the boat as is today. 580283_10100789293247034_1032681582_n.jpgIMG-20120704-00086.jpgIMG-20120704-00087.jpg156471_10100789293107314_1973231743_n.jpg538684_10100844506045144_924991543_n.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Starcraft Super Sport 16' Conversion to Center Console

hi... welcome to iboats !

i dont think any people here are gonna talk you out of doing the conversion.

it CAN and IS DONE all the time....

I would only caution you against having a metal boat to begin with :eek: :D:D (just a little iboats forum fun there)

there are many starcraft lovers here... look in the starcraft section below the main forum, you will see lots of beautiful restorations and re designs.

post your progress here... we can and will help you every step of the way !

cheers
oops

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not wasting any time, I went to my parents house tonight where the boat is stored and began tearing things out. I removed the seats, side panels, rear sliding doors, bow seats, port and starboard consoles, carpet, and plywood. The floor was extremely rotten, the only thing keeping you from going through the floor was the carpet.

After pulling everything out, my dad and I tried to brainstorm a little bit on how things would work moving from a dual console to center console boat. Here are the questions I have.

1. Steering / Throttle. I am trying to use existing parts, so I am moving the console back further than it sits now. I am doing this because the steering cable and throttle cable have to move over several feet. I figured I can find the happy medium where the length will still work by moving the console back. Does anyone see any issues with this?

2. Structural strength. Considering I will be making a T-Top cage and mounting a console to the floor of an aluminum boat, we thought we'd strengthen the two mounting rails under the floor with some treated lumber. This would give us something to bolt too when attaching the console and T-Top. How would you do it?

3. Any issues with moving the batter from the stern to the console? I'd like to seperate the gas tanks and battery.

We are going to re-design the bow seats to accomodate an anchor but still give room to stand at the bow when pulling the anchor in. I hated kneeling on the seats and trying to pull in 150 feet of rope.

Another idea we had was using the existing consoles (left and right) to build one console, then raising it somehow about 8 -10 inches to make driving easier when standing. Throttle hookup is still and issue. We will take both windshields and combine them into one for the center console, keeping the Starcraft look.

Here are some pictures from today.

IMG-20121014-00270.jpgIMG-20121014-00274.jpgIMG-20121014-00277.jpgIMG-20121014-00278.jpgIMG-20121014-00279.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are are a few more picturesIMG-20121014-00287.jpgIMG-20121014-00288.jpgIMG-20121014-00289.jpgIMG-20121014-00290.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are a few images of the floor. It was bad.IMG-20121014-00266.jpgIMG-20121014-00267.jpg

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

we thought we'd strengthen the two mounting rails under the floor with some treated lumber.

DO NOT use treated lumber in you aluminum boat!!!!!!

Hey! I got the twin to you boat!!! cept mine is a 73. do you have a 85hp as well??? I'll be watching your thread!
IMG_3571.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You know i heard that from some of the threads I've read in the past. I guess the treated lumber reacts with the aluminum?????

I have the 800 Mercury on mine. Also, the windshield has a different shape on the side. Your Starcraft looks like it's in prime condition!!!

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

There is copper in the treated wood and copper and aluminum don't get along well. Use exterior plywood or any lumber and seal it well before installation. Spar varnish works well and is much cheaper than epoxy which will be the next thing you hear. I'm thinkin that since you are going to use the original steering cable you might be able to use your existing control cables to since they were also sized to the console location. Remember when moving the battery you need large cables to carry the starting current for the motor. Mounting the side control will be awkward to operate if mounted on the port side of the console, not sure how to solve that one. Just a few thoughts.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I work for a toy company, we make models in our model shop out of massive blocks of foam. We have TONS of scraps going out in the trash daily, I've been collecting them for under the floor. Does anyone know if Expanded Poly Styrene (same as a foam cup) is an issue for using under the floor? It does absorb water to a certain extent. I'd worry about weight of a water logged foam block, and also the moisture trapped under the floor.

I can use a lot of the existing foam because it seems as though it's in great condition.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Cool boat. I thought long and hard about converting mine to a center console. I end up deciding against it, but it was purely a personal decision. I think you will be very happy with a center console and look forward to seeing it come together.

On the foam, I would not use traditional (white/bubbly) styrofoam... Most folks use the pink (home depot) or blue (Lowes) foam sheets (which is "closed cell" foam and thus less prone to water absorption) OR the 2-part pour in foam (not a lot of folks do this in aluminum boats, because its pricey and can impede drainage). The 2-part is more common in glass boats because water is not supposed to get under the deck and it adds structural strength. Some folks chop up pool noodles as well. Lastly, some folks have thrown in ping pong balls, old detergent bottles, etc... (but I am too anal to have a bunch of soda and detergent bottles clanking around under my deck).

I just got done foaming my metal boat with the blue sheets. You can clink the link in my signature to see how I did it. Lots of options here - I would go with what suits your needs/preferences and budgets, but I think the white styrofoam of yesteryear is generally frowned upon.

By the way very cool that you work for a toy company... Sounds a lot more fun than my job :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That white styro stuff you have there will absorb water, but, only if it's subjected to sitting in water for long period of time. So, you can use it, shoot the price is certainly right:D Just be sure to keep the bow high and the drain plug out when you park her.

If you didn't already have a bunch of free foam stuff on hand I'd suggest the pink or blue foam board like PMC mentioned.

:)

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. Iboats is right, people on here are just loaded with knowledge and advice. We also have boxes upon boxes of play balls, I was thinking of using those as well.

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are some drawings I've done over the last few months. Believe me, driving one of these dual consoles Starcrafts in Lake Erie chop makes you think about standing up to drive all summer. I drove my buddies 19 Whaler Outrage a few times and just absolutely loved it.

I have a hard time parting from the simplicity of the tin can for a glasser.

20121015150304821_Page_1.jpg20121015150304821_Page_2.jpg20121015150304821_Page_3.jpg20121015150304821_Page_4.jpg

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I was actually going to add "play balls" to my list... A guy on here recently used those... I don't have the link handy, but I remember seeing it...

As you mentioned, Metal boats are great for their simplicity, easy to work on, restore, etc... Lots of benefits for us DIY guys.. One downside: They don't ride nearly as well as a nice glass boat. So, the reason that whaler ride may have felt good in comparison to your boat is the fact that it is a glass boat (not necessarily the center console set-up)....

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was actually going to add "play balls" to my list... A guy on here recently used those... I don't have the link handy, but I remember seeing it...

As you mentioned, Metal boats are great for their simplicity, easy to work on, restore, etc... Lots of benefits for us DIY guys.. One downside: They don't ride nearly as well as a nice glass boat. So, the reason that whaler ride may have felt good in comparison to your boat is the fact that it is a glass boat (not necessarily the center console set-up)....

His boat has about 2000lbs on mine as well. I was just referring more to the set up. I wouldn't mind finding an old Islander to work on as well. For some reason, I like those...

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey all,
Any idea on what I should do here? I have the hydraulic lifter for the trim on my 1972 Mercury 800 outboard with old lines where the rubber has long since flaked off and we are just looking at the fabric lines. They don't leak, but the seep fluid. It worked all season with no issues as is. I just don't know if I can find the parts. Any advice on where to find the lines (whole unit) or what to do?

IMG-20121020-00380.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Today I had a nice sunny and warm day up in Cleveland. Since the Browns are terrible, I decided to spend the day working on the boat. Today we were able to re-rivet the two aluminum stringers back to the ribs for support when the floor and center console is laid down. We also pulled all the wires and steering from the gunwale and estimated where to lay it under the floor in order to re-use the exisiting line for the conversion. I have to see what I should do with the console, how to make it, where to put it....etc. I'll post some more pictures when I get to my computer at home.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey all,
Any idea on what I should do here? I have the hydraulic lifter for the trim on my 1972 Mercury 800 outboard with old lines where the rubber has long since flaked off and we are just looking at the fabric lines. They don't leak, but the seep fluid. It worked all season with no issues as is. I just don't know if I can find the parts. Any advice on where to find the lines (whole unit) or what to do?

View attachment 172572

the fittings should be pretty standard...i replaced all my lines with SS Braided Teflon lines ( i used to work for a hose company )
you should be able to find a local hose company or hydraulics company that can make up some lines for you...or search online

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a picture of the hull all swept out, foam removed, and the steering / trim / controls moved to the center of the boat. The length of everything is ok, I am a bit worried about the control cables.

IMG-20121021-00389.jpgRocky River-20121021-00391.jpg

jacobmeyers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is how I got rid of the old floor. The stern portion was so bad it wouldn't work for a template. It just fell apart in your hands, like pulled pork does.

IMG-20121020-00375.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.