1961 StarCraft Seafarer/Restoration

WaterLoged

Cadet
I recently picked up this fine boat. My first boat, and second restore I hate fiberglass now. Found her on CL for $250. The wood transom was basically dust the bench seats were rotten. I love that she had no holes other than the drain, so with a little persuasion my wife agreed I should get it.
This is how it looked when I brought it home.
Photo0394.jpg
I believe the transom was the original from when it was built because it was wider at the bottom than the top. The only way I see to put it back that way is to remove the transom braces that are riveted to the hull. I'm no expert but I don't think 3/4" will hurt the strength of the transom. I decided to modify the transom for a long shaft engine, I shaped the filler myself just have to get it tig welded in.
Photo0400.jpg

When I removed the rear bench I found out the seats were solid mahogany and the rear had this tag underneath,, I assume it was placed there by a previous owner . I have Mahogany to put back in I will have to glue up with gorilla glue to get the width I need
Photo0401.jpg

I striped 51 years of paint in 2 days I noted at least 6 different colors. It was a lot of work to get it all off but I'd say all that paint kept the hull from corroding. Heres the cleaned hull
Photo0405.jpgView attachment 168463

Now shes ready for paint with a coat self etching primer.
Photo0406.jpg
I the weather will cooperates I'm going to shoot the first coat of Black top coat next weekend, I want to get at least 3 coats.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 StarCraft Seafarer/Restoration

Welcome to iBoats! Nice looking boat! What brand of paint are you planning on using?

WaterLoged

Cadet

Welcome to iBoats! Nice looking boat! What brand of paint are you planning on using?

I'm working with a extremely tight budget, so I poured through this and other forums for low cost solutions. I have chosen to use rustoleum oil based enamel. I hope I don't get flamed for my choice. Perhaps it will last a couple years and I can refinish with a good quality paint. I just doesn't fit my budget to spend 100 or more on paint.

jbcurt00

Staff member

If you can find the hardener in WOG's paint your hull post:

"Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks"

The rustoleum paint will hold up for a long time and be extremely hard. Great job stripping the hull!

Welcome to iboats dry dock.

WaterLoged

Cadet
update: 1961 StarCraft Seafarer/Restoration

update: 1961 StarCraft Seafarer/Restoration

First coat of paint sprayed this morning, This info was a great help ("Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks") Thank You!
enough with the chatter here's the pics.
100_2659.jpg100_2660.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: update: 1961 StarCraft Seafarer/Restoration

Great looking spray job, how many coats is that so far?

kfa4303

Banned

Shiny! Very Darth Vaderey too :) (Death-Starcraft perhaps?)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

First coat of paint sprayed this morning, This info was a great help ("Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks") Thank You!

If you used the Hardener, she'll be ready for the water in a week. Rocks and Gravel WILL scratch her but touch up is Easy. I think you'll like the paint.

WaterLoged

Cadet

Thanks! just 1 coat, I'm going to put at least 3 coats. This is my first attempt spaying anything from my Binks gun other than clear lacquer on wood working projects. It looks like an orange peel in places so I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

WaterLoged

Cadet

If you used the Hardener, she'll be ready for the water in a week. Rocks and Gravel WILL scratch her but touch up is Easy. I think you'll like the paint.

followed your guide very helpful!

WaterLoged

Cadet

Shiny! Very Darth Vaderey too :) (Death-Starcraft perhaps?)

LOL, must come up with a name not sure my wife would like that one.