Performer Vagabond?

Re: Performer Vagabond?

Well, went to the Home Depot today and picked up the stuff for my rolling drydock. It's not pretty but will work once I get the bunkers on for support. Just need the neighbor to give me a hand putting the cap back on and I should be able to set it properly and not worry about the hull hooking. Suprisingly cheap, set me back $120.00 but will be able to use the wood for another project when done with the boat. I had just finished the first half of the stand and a T-storm hit with hail and rain, so had to drain the boat again, the drain hole appears to be about a 1/4 inch in diameter and it takes forever to drain. I want to put in a 1 inch drain to speed the process up, already have the brass through hull fitting and the tool to crip it. So another day on the stand then I can begin work again on the interior, depending on weather.

Attachments

• IMG_1078.jpg
    IMG_1078.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 0

IMG_1088.jpgIMG_1089.jpgIMG_1090.jpgIMG_1091.jpgIMG_1092.jpgI figure it's about time for an update now that the holiday is over. I took about a week to get the "drydock" built and then was gone for about 4 days out of town. I have been busy, slowly getting more grinding done. More pics to follow.

As you can see the deck is now out and the layout for the stringers is finally seeing sunlight for the first time in 50 years!IMG_1094.jpgIMG_1093.jpgIMG_1095.jpgIMG_1096.jpgIMG_1097.jpg

Transom is out as of last night! Cutting out the stringers is a slow process, but I'm taking my time, all of the wood will be used as templates. Resin and glass will be here on Monday and I still have lots of cutting to do this weekend, (including the lawn!). Definitely getting to the end of the itchy part on the hull, top cap will need to have some holes patched and replace the wood in the dash, but I want to get the hull finished before I tackle that part. IMG_1099.jpgIMG_1098.jpgIMG_1100.jpgIMG_1101.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 1961 Performer Vagabond Deluxe Rebuild

Re: 1961 Performer Vagabond Deluxe Rebuild

Hi RC and welcome...
Would like to come aboard and enjoy this restoration of a really cool looking boat.
You are doing an amazing job so far and I, too, am really impressed with how good the wood looks for being as old as it is...
Keep up the great progress and have fun!
GT1M

Just an update, pics will follow tomorrow or Friday. Still grinding out the shell, what a mess! I'm pulling tons of glass out, they went overboard with it, just plain sloppy work. I'm still not discouraged will keep at it, but starting to look like she may not see the water until next year. The weather has been in the mid to high 90's and that is way to hot to work in tyvex with a mask on. Still have through Sept up here and a good portion of Oct, then it's time to put her on the trailer and move to the garage for the Winter. Looks like 2014 for the launch, but as long as it's done right I'm willing to wait. Would like to get the stringers,transom in and the new deck on before the frost hits, as soon as that happens I'm in the jon boat and hunting duck and geese.

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Love the boat and you seem to be making great progress so far.

...starting to look like she may not see the water until next year.....

Same realization happened to me this year. After the initial brief frustration, I felt relief. Its a liberation to take the time and do it right.

Have fun

Chris

Figured I would just give an update, boat is out of drydock and back on trailer in the garage until Spring, still some grinding to do on the hull, but the weather has not cooperated this year, so it looks like a splash Summer of 2014 :( The only thing that really sucks is that I have 5 gallons of poly sitting in the garage unopened and I think it's at the end of the shelf life, granted it is unopened, but not sure if it will be good in the Spring. On a good note, can get the truck in the garage for the Winter!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Couple of things you can do to maybe save the resin...
Since its unopened this first tip may not help too much, but it couldn't hurt either...
Flip the container over on its lid to maintain a wet seal around the opening...
Keep it in a cool dark place, light and heat are its enemy...
When you are ready to give it a go again, you may have some crystallized resin in there, but as long as the majority of it is still liquified, you can remove the "lumps" and use the rest...
The MEK-P is the most susceptible to going bad, but you can extend it's life somewhat by putting it in a couple of zip lock bags and storing it in the fridge...just be sure to let it reach ambient temperature before trying it out...
After all is said and done, mix up a small test batch and see how it performs...
:)

Spring is in the air! I can feel it and ready to get itchy again! One last section to grind out on the Performer and I can start the keel,frames and transom.