Performer Vagabond?

Hello all, I'm new to the iboats and have come across a 1969 Performer Vagabond, definately needs some attention. Not sure if this actually a 69, but will post some pics and see what you all think.

Attachments

• IMG_0928.jpg
    IMG_0928.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0931.jpg
    IMG_0931.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0932.jpg
    IMG_0932.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Re: Performer Vagabond?

Well Spring is finally here and have started the tear down of the Performer Vagabond Deluxe. The transom needs replacing and I got down into the bilge today, definately new stringers! I found some info on this boat. Seems it is a 1961 Performer Vagabond Deluxe 16' rated for 65 hp motor, of course I picked up a 50 hp. The shell itself just needs some patching but I am focusing on pulling the transom, deck and stringers so I can take a look at the bow from the interior, a terrible patch job on the exterior forward bow. I will post some pictures as I progress, plan on taking the grinder to it some more tomorrow. I did have one question, has anyone attempted Linexing the interior? This seems like an option that would work well.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Line X creates a future nightmare for repairs. Stick with fiberglass and standard materials. Line x does not have any advantages.

Thanks for the info on the Line X. That will change the plan a little. Still at the early stage of the restoration so plan changes are easy.

It has been a few days and finally got to work on the Performer today, still in the deconstruction stage, but moving along at a fair pace. I am suprised how the stringers were actually put in these boats, but I guess production goals outweighed quality. None of the stringers or keel was laminated and the wood cuts for the frame appear to be close enough for handgrenades or horseshoes. Still all looks to be able to be replaced and with better products. With that in mind it should be a better boat than the original. By the way was a beautiful day up in the Flathead 80 degrees clear blue skies, this was my inspiration for grinding today, get this done and get out on the water! Just out of curiosity, is there a way to move this thread to restorations or do I need to start a new post ?

Attachments

• IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 0

Another day of grinding, working my way towards the stern and transom. Removed the front bench seat holder and control panels fiberglassed to the starboard and port. I did get a little overzealous with the grinder and went through the hull in a couple of places, whoops! I can fix that with no problem. A little closer every day now, the weather is looking good all week, just have to keep myself motivated, grinding is not one of my favorite activities, but just have to keep chugging along. So I have some more pics just to keep you all interested, actually rinsed the boat out today. I'm looking forward to getting onto cutting out the new stringer and prepping everything for installation.

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1062.jpg
    IMG_1062.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1063.jpg
    IMG_1063.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

:welcome::welcome::welcome: i see you havn't been welcomed and are new so thought i would, thats a nice little boat you got there, the wood looked pretty good from what i could see, the transom wood didnt look too rotted just delaminated. the grinding misshaps arent hard to fix, looks like youre doing a good job, i love the old outboard runabouts. it may be my age but to me thats what a boat supposed to look like:D:rockon:

Thanks for the welcome. The transom wasn't in that bad a shape, but I wanted to check the bilge so I might as well replace all the wood. I agree with you these boats just look so good, nice lines, trying to get it done by August for a classic boat show on Flathead lake this year. I do plan on changing the cap color to a metallic red just to jazz it up some.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i put some metalflake on my blue and love the sparkles they hide some imperfections

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Moved ;) have fun.

Thanks Bob_VT. More grinding today and tomorrow while the weather holds. I'm pretty sure my neighbors will be happy when I finish with the noisy part of the deconstruction. They never expected to have a drydock next door.

Another day of grinding, that damned glue for the old carpet is costing me a fortune in sanding discs, the stuff is tough! Got one side completed then the thunderstorms rolled in, still have tomorrow to finish the other side then I can get to work on the deck,stringers and transom, still is looking good, was just admiring the lines tonight, keeps me motivated to continue the dull boring grinding. Any input would be welcome about paint verses gel coat, I'm not sure if they even used gel coat back that far, 61,62ish. I'm thinking about 5 coats of Interlux white and then a few coats of clear for the hull. Also any thoughts as to reinforcing the hull itself, I could lay another layer of roven on it, but would that be too much? I was also measuring the engine and it looks like I may have to add 4" to the transom to get the engine to fit correctly, have a 1990's Force 50 HP with power tilt. Sorry about all the questions, but I want to do this right the first time, plan on keeping the boat. More pics tomorrow, wanted to finish with the other side before I posted them.

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool boat Coastie. I have to say for its age, the wood in that boat is in unbelievable condition. I know you mentioned some production issues, if you had seen my 1988, you would have had a heart attack if you thought yours was bad. I'm going to tag along if you don't mind. Projects like this make me remember this is supposed to be fun.

Tip for carpet glue: a set up like this on my old electric drill made short work of mine 3M Paint And Rust Stripper 7771NA-CC: Paint & Home Decor : Walmart.com

Good Luck-Gator

Gator, the wood was covered with some sort of vinyl tape that was tough as nails to get off, I could probably reuse the deck and replace the subdeck, the wood under the subdeck is questionable and the way it was attached is just pieces of csm with resin poured on it. The stringers appear to be made of cedar. As I pull them out I plan on using them for templates and replacing them with marine plywood and seal that before installation. I might be getting carried away or it may be some of the old training kicking in, but if you're going to go out in the water it better be right and solid.

Just a quick update, not a good one either, rain and t-storms. I tried grinding in the garage last month, still cleaning it out :) Forcast looks great this weekend, so with any luck at all will have the sides finished and possibly the transom out. I have been reading about bowing boats on roller trailers and think I may be wise to keep the old stringers in place until I get the new transom in, any thoughts on how I should proceed next?

jbcurt00

Staff member

an off the trailer cradle will help prevent hooking the hull (the hull bow you describe and only one of several problems of demo & an unsupported hull), but it really should have been done before the cap came off. The sides of glassers tend to sag away from each other, which pulls the bow & transom inward. Even minor changes can make cap fitment at putback difficult.

Might put the cap back on temporarily, use as few screws as you deem necessary to hold the hull & cap together. Build a support cradle, move the boat to the new cradle, and use the trailer (w/ cap support structure added) to store the cap.

To prevent hooked hulls is why many (tin boat owners too) convert roller bunks to wooden flat bunk trailers. Significantly more contact area w/ hull, which more evenly distributes the weight of the boat... Bunks have their own cons too though.

Thanks for the info on the support for the boat, I was wondering about it before I went after the stringer and this pretty much has decided it for me. Looks like a trip to the lumber store.