1987 Reinell 192S - newbie's first project

VolleyGirlSC

Seaman
Although I?ve only posted a few times, I've been lurking on these boards for awhile now and I am amazed at all the knowledge and people's willingness to help other boaters. My husband and I recently became the new owners of a 1987 Reinell 192s. We acquired it in trade for a motorcycle we had in storage and I was hoping to get some advice from the more experienced boat owners (by that I mean pretty much everyone) in helping us sort out our first boat. We know we have a project and we are willing to attempt the work and learn as we go. Any feedback you can give is greatly appreciated! I grew up on a boat like this and I am excited to get it back into the water running smoothly, if it is possible. It is our goal to do needed work short-term so that we can enjoy her on the water a little this fall (pretty much year-round boating here) and then work through bigger issues as we have time or run into them.

Overall
1. Other than this site, are there any must have reference materials to help us with this project? We bought the Seloc & Clymer manual because I couldn't find much else, ordered the owners manual from eBay and am trying to locate the correct service manual. Even Reinell doesn't have a copy of the owners manual (we asked).

2. Is it even possible for some semi-handy, moderately intelligent, working parents to bring a boat like this back from the edge? We are both "car people" and know our way around woodworking, tools, etc, but no boat experience at all.

Engine/Outboard
3. The boat has 152 hours on the OMC Cobra 5.7L with an OMC Cobra outdrive (I know. I know ? we?ll do what we can with it), that has been sitting for two years. Our plan is to go over the engine and outdrive (it did start after some prep work before we made the trade) and do an oil change, tune-up, replace the bellows, hoses, shift cable and impeller. Is there anything further that we should do before a test run?

4. From reading here, I believe I am correct in saying that we can change out the OMC for a Merc at some point. Please correct me if I am wrong. Do we have to change the engine out too or can we do just change the outdrive?

Hull/Exterior
5. The sealant just underneath the rub rail is spotty at best, can we remove and reseal without removing the rub rail? It looks like clear silicone, should I use that again or go with 3M 4200?

6. There are small cracks in the gelcoat (?) in the blue stripe on the boat, both sides, by the stern. Should we wet sand that down and polish/gelcoat/paint again as needed?

Interior
7. As far as floors/stringers - if we get the engine & drive work completed, do we need to assess the floors before we take her out? Can we enjoy a few weekends tubing before we do the carpet/floor work without any risk? (There is a soft spot in the stern starboard floor under the seat, and the floor sags a bit.) Other than that vinyl is in good condition, although it was dirty. There are one or two small cracks on the engine cover and that is it.

8. There are small cracks in the fiberglass just under the windows (see the video) ? what if anything should we do about them?

Thank you in advance for reading this long post - we look forward to learning a bunch during this experience.

Here are some pics and a video (if I can get it to work!)

51F7A21A-1F3E-4047-83C0-133E3BB00013-10577-000015C71DF8AC53.jpg

5B05C622-23BF-445C-AECF-9A6D7EFE320D-10569-000015C50CE5BB63.jpg

97FB9F59-CDED-47A4-BACD-D25E959B51F0-10569-000015C5044992CE-1.jpg

A8F41E5C-8CD2-462F-A59F-4D28B2544B78-10577-000015C59AF60CBF.jpg

9F6B27AD-74CC-4BEB-A524-791A0C440B00-10577-000015C5589ECA79.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1987 Reinell 192S - newbie's first project

If the bellows have been compromised, you'll need to do a thorough examination of the transom wood, motor mounts, stringers, and the deck as there is already amble evidence that there are problems lurking below:
7. As far as floors/stringers - if we get the engine & drive work completed, do we need to assess the floors before we take her out? Can we enjoy a few weekends tubing before we do the carpet/floor work without any risk? (There is a soft spot in the stern starboard floor under the seat, and the floor sags a bit.) Other than that vinyl is in good condition, although it was dirty. There are one or two small cracks on the engine cover and that is it.

I'll come back to that after some of the other Q's:

Is it even possible for some semi-handy, moderately intelligent, working parents to bring a boat like this back from the edge? We are both "car people" and know our way around woodworking, tools, etc, but no boat experience at all.

Yes, with the motivation, some time (amount TBD) and some funding (amount TBD)

Engine/Outboard
3. The boat has 152 hours on the OMC Cobra 5.7L with an OMC Cobra outdrive (I know. I know – we’ll do what we can with it), that has been sitting for two years. Our plan is to go over the engine and outdrive (it did start after some prep work before we made the trade) and do an oil change, tune-up, replace the bellows, hoses, shift cable and impeller. Is there anything further that we should do before a test run?

Might need to come back to this after we address a few items further down this list. On water muffs, on the trailer, in the driveway, test run it as much as you care too. In the water test may need to wait....

4. From reading here, I believe I am correct in saying that we can change out the OMC for a Merc at some point. Please correct me if I am wrong. Do we have to change the engine out too or can we do just change the outdrive?

Welcome to the search for a donor boat: transplant the entire driveline, motor to outdrive. Mercruisers are plentiful & parts are available.

Hull/Exterior
5. The sealant just underneath the rub rail is spotty at best, can we remove and reseal without removing the rub rail? It looks like clear silicone, should I use that again or go with 3M 4200?

Again, we will need to revisit this again after some of the items below, but it may have originally been polyester resin filler and was previously replaced. Use poly resin filler, 3M 4200 or 5200 NOT silicone

6. There are small cracks in the gelcoat (?) in the blue stripe on the boat, both sides, by the stern. Should we wet sand that down and polish/gelcoat/paint again as needed?

Minor checking or major CRACKING? It isn't real clear in the stern corner pix

Interior

This is actually an indication that there may be quite a few problems lurking below decks, and warrants thorough inspection of all wood in the transom, motor mounts, stringers, and deck.

8. There are small cracks in the fiberglass just under the windows (see the video) – what if anything should we do about them?

Depending on the severity of the deck & stringer damage (this is what's probably causing the sag & soft spots) the consoles may be taking additional stress from the weight & operation of the center section. And a soft deck will flex more then it should, further stressing the windshield attachments to the consoles.

Certainly looks like little man is up for some boat rehab & a few boat rides. Possibly quite a bit more then a few ;)

No matter the extent of the problem, it can be fixed & the iboats crew will rally & help with any info or plans of attack to get the Reinell back on the water better then ever..

Welcome to the iboats dry dock!

tpenfield

Staff member

It sounds like you are progressing in a proper manner by checking things out.

The big things will be the engine/outdrive and the stringers and other structural members. Check those first as that will be the things to address first.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

as far as the engine/drive combo....you can reuse your engine and accessories...but will need to change out the bellhousing, inner/outer transom plates and the drive itself...along with some other components that actuate trim cylinders, exhaust and such

VolleyGirlSC

Seaman

Thanks for the help. We've gotten the drive off and are replacing the impeller, bellows, shift cable. Our plan is to do a tune-up on the engine next. Then we will assess the floor & stringers. It needs new carpet badly, so that is on the list with the dual purpose of thoroughly checking the floors. When I've tested around the floor with a screw driver, it sounds solid everywhere except the starboard aft corner - but I want to actually see it. The engine mounts also seemed solid, but not sure if I can really check that without removing the motor first? Do I check the transom the same way, just test it with a screwdriver for soft spots? I was unable to put a screwdriver through any part of the floor except the soft spot.

My husband thought he saw a tear in the bellows, but upon further examination, there were no tears and no apparant signs of water, but we will continue to investigate. My biggest concern is the shift cable. Although I've read the documents on the link posted in this thread (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=576882&highlight=cable+shift+housing), I am concerned about getting the adjustment correct.

I will try to take better pictures of the hull cracks, but IMHO (inexperienced at best), it seems to be minor cracking in the gelcoat/paint, not too deep.

Also - I have a question about the blower - should there be a blower motor on each side? The port side runs and there is venting on the starboard side as well, but no blower - should there be two?

Thanks agains for the all of the help.
21BD5E40-D8A2-47CE-9528-CD07CE0FC6D2-10577-000015C57EE471E9-1.jpg

B19B49C2-8CB6-4C46-B81D-2CA12D388A68-10577-000015C587F02BF0.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

an I/O needs fresh air, so I'd expect 1 is for air IN & the other is an out for the blower to exhaust fumes

rav221

Seaman Apprentice

Glad your going to check the transom, it's important to check before you take it out for a test on the water. Especially make sure none of the transom shield bolts are starting to pull through, especially on a boat thats been sitting, things can show up really quickly first time back on the water. It's hard to check the transom visually with the V8's due to poor access. I didn't find a problem with mine until I had the engine and exhaust yoke removed.
Nice to see the additional air inlets to the bilge, the more air you can move through there the better. Moves any fumes and give that
V8 breathing room.
Great looking boat, good luck with the shakedown.

VolleyGirlSC

Seaman

I couldn't wait - I had to know, so I tore up some carpet and found some black, crumbly, rotten wood. My wonderful hubby (the realistic one) is pretty much dreading this, but I am excited. At least I'm excited about demo. That part is simple. We'll see about bringing her back. I need to go back and read about embedding the YouTube video, but here is the link and a still pic. We're going to do a blog on this project as well.

I also took a close up of the spider cracks(?). A little wet sanding in a small area and they were gone, so I think that is good news?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMRbjWQ9K0w
17E503BA-9E16-4E7C-9BAE-A4B851B3CFFE-12336-0000194F9F12C5CE.jpg

12375B1F-E513-48C1-A0C3-AE0A772C2A4F-12336-0000194FABBD714F.jpg

emoney

Commander

Classic rot and I'm glad to hear you're "excited about the demo" because it all starts there. Absolutely you guys are capable as there's not one single experience professional boat rebuilder that didn't start with "zero experience". Time and patience at vital and money doesn't hurt. The former are essential, the latter can be spread out over time if need be.

To answer the "can we take it out" question, personally I'd just reference the picture of the "1st Mate" and then you have your answer. Safety always trumps fun, sadly enough, when we have little guys especially. You can do a couple of core samples on the transom, but you'll probably find towards the bottom the same thing you've revealed under the deck.

It's going to be an awesome boat that will serve you guys for years and years to come once you're done and the value of doing it yourself it beyond approach. Congrats on your decision to join the world of boating and even more, boat restoration! Good luck and we look forward to watching your progress.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Make sure and use the proper PPE all during the Demo. Fiberglass is bad for your lungs and eyes and itches like crazy. Cover yourself Really well with Baby Powder before Each session and it will really help keep down the itch.

VolleyGirlSC

Seaman

Make sure and use the proper PPE all during the Demo. Fiberglass is bad for your lungs and eyes and itches like crazy. Cover yourself Really well with Baby Powder before Each session and it will really help keep down the itch.

Great call Woodonglass - we do have the protective gear, including suits, eyewear, gloves, respirator. It was hot in it today and we didn't even do that much.

I started a new thread since we are in for pretty much a full resto - it can be found with pics and videos here:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=577752

I hope that you will all tune in and advise us in this process - it is more than a little daunting.