• Side (or Side by Side) console

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17 Foot

I have to ask, did you hear any creaking or anything from the transom area when you were out running it? When I was just starting my boatdom my 2nd boat developed a sound when I upgraded from a 10 to a 25 hp. While it always felt solid, after all my reading here I sometimes wonder if the transom was weak and that was a warning sign.

Be interesting to see what you do for rebuilding the structure back there.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I have to ask, did you hear any creaking or anything from the transom area when you were out running it? .

Be interesting to see what you do for rebuilding the structure back there.

I really didn't it... I gave the transom several taps with a rubber mallet and screw driver and to be honest the sound was really deceiving... It may have been all the metal structure that was back there, because it did not "sound" nearly as dead as it actually was...

I could tell there was a little distress back there, but I just thought that was age-appropriate transom wear... I never heard anything that remotely got me concerned on the lake test... In fact, it doesn't have tilt and trim and it when manually lifting and lowering the motor I did not get the sense that it was about to fall off or anything...

For the stern, I am thinking a rear casting deck...Still trying to figure it out in my head, but I think I have a plan in mind.

Thanks for stopping by fellas... Took a day off today - yesterday wore me out.

I'll check in mid-week.

~PMC

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I'd go for a removable casting deck in the back just to give yourself some flexibility should you want or need it,..

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Man, it's be nice if those gunwales ran all the way to stern. Rats!

Ah well, trying to build that gunwale out would be tricky to pull off and have it look good too.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Man, it's be nice if those gunwales ran all the way to stern. Rats!

Ah well, trying to build that gunwale out would be tricky to pull off and have it look good too.

Yeah, Here is what I am thinking in my head right now.... The casting deck will go all the way to transom/rail height behind the gunwales...then it will have a step down, which I need anyway (because of the distance between deck to that height) that runs under the gunwales for a bit.... (this step down will also double as a bench seat...

I will tie the casting deck (the vertical piece of the step-down) into the gunwales with angle piece for strength.... I will run some metal with trimming on the top of the casting deck to the give the "appearance" that the gunnies continue all the way to the back.... Not only with this be done for "cosmetic purposes", but it will be an additional way to affix the gunwales to the rear deck for continuity/strength... As far as removeable goes, this is a fishing rig... hard core fishing no other use.... Plus I want it bomber strong back there and this deck structure will be part of that plan... Its early yet, gotta lot demo (hard work) to do before I get to really start thinking about and implementing stuff like that... I guess its okay to day dream, though...

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Great job on the teardown, when you get that new transom put in it will be a million times better than what you pulled out.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Brief moment of diversion/personal privilege:

Not be overly dramatic (because I don't expect much more than rain), but it never gives you a "warm and fuzzy" when Jim Cantore (the weather channel doomsday guy) circles your hometown with his teleprompter pen:

IsaacPath.png

The region you see here in "red" still has a lot of bad memories from August 29, 2005 (hurricane Katrina), which will be just about 7 years ago to the date that Isaac is expected to hit. Lot of areas are still recovering..., and then, of course, you had the BP oil spill in 2010 which didn't do this region any favors either.... It doesn't appear that this storm is going to be nearly as bad as K (cat. 1 predicted), but once they get into the gulf, you never know if they will fizzle out or turn into monsters...

Below is a little video clip (click the picture) from the front door of the house we lived in when Katrina hit... (sort of funny - I just noticed I had the sprinkler in the yard)....

Keep in mind we live about 160 miles from the MS Gulf Coast. This is before it got bad and we had to hunker down for about 6-8 hours of sustained winds that were about twice this hard... (I backed away from the filming when Caroline, then 2, was toddling through the house and said "daddy, fence is broken" (2 trees had fallen and knocked it down)... We were without power for about 7 days and had to relocate to Memphis... Katrina had cat 3/4 winds, but had the storm surge of a 5. It was just a really huge storm... In fact, last year when we were red fishing in south Louisiana, our guide showed us the top of a 25 foot power pole where his 20 foot boston whaler came to rest after the waters receded...

All this to say just please utter a quick prayer or send happy thoughts (whatever your preference) to the folks on the gulf coast (MS, LA, AL and FL panhandle) - they don't need another bad one....

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Morning Patrick,

Hopefully Isaac will not get too rough with you guys...he decided we down here in Miami, weren't worth too much effort...maybe, he'll think the same of you...

As you know, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Be as prepared as you feel you need to be and Stay Safe...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dood! Strap the kiddos to something heavy!!!:eek:

emoney

Commander

Man, it's not looking good for your region I'm afraid. Oddly enough, my work closed today and I don't think we'll get much of anything other than an unusually high tide (Tampa Bay area). I've been watching the "cone" shift west since last Friday and worrying about New Orleans. Hopefully he'll not strengthen much. Good luck and we'll be praying for you guys.

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Prayers and thoughts are with you and your area my friend!!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Thoughts are with you and your family that the storms stay away from you.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep, batten down the hatches. Looks like tomorrow between 8 & 10a Isaac will make landfall down near New Orleans. Be on the look out for a wayward Ebko. We know a guy that'll surely be missing it :facepalm:

Good thoughts for everyone down your way. Hope it loses some punch in the next 10-12 hrs.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks everyone... Glad the forums are back up!!!

So far, the bad stuff has stayed away... Our friends in south Louisiana are not fairing so well, though, so thoughts with them. I was able to get a little "hurricane prep" done the past couple of days:

Rest of structure removed:

cleanedout.jpg

Decking removed - note the channel they left for "drainage" (there are pretty big openings in the stringer set-up for drainage, except for the very bottom where they need to be.. So the water has to jump over little ridges to get back to the bilge)...

interior_SeaNymph_foam_82912.jpg

Just let the wind take care of the rotten deck and foam - it blew right out of there.

foam_cleanedout_82912.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You are making this metal boat gut job look easy dood!:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

You are making this metal boat gut job look easy dood!

Yep nice work.

Man, cyclonic hurricane force winds must have been centered over your obviously well secured SN hull to pull all that foam out so thoroughly...:D

I can't tell you how nice it is to work with the rotary spray head/nozzle on a pressure washer. I highly recommend it! There was no deformation of the hull when using it with a 3200psi machine at 6" or less from the hull....

Even helped wash debris out of the ribs when placed at the limber hole or chine end of the hull cross ribs

Decker83

Commander

Your getting a lot done and it's looking good. That's the way my foam was in my old Deck Boat.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Don't you know your suppose to pontificate and tell everyone how hard it was? You can't just breeze right through a gut job like that. :D

Looks good PMC.

dozerII

Admiral

Nice job on the tear down and foam removal.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

You are making this metal boat gut job look easy dood!:D

Well, I got some helpful tips from some crazy guy up in Michigan... :)

Yep nice work.

Man, cyclonic hurricane force winds must have been centered over your obviously well secured SN hull to pull all that foam out so thoroughly...

Thanks JBC - yeah, I was lucky that the foam lifted nicely from the hull - mostly in big chunks... As far as pressure washing goes, mother nature is giving me a freeby right now - see below.

Don't you know your suppose to pontificate and tell everyone how hard it was? You can't just breeze right through a gut job like that.

Looks good PMC.

having cut my teeth on a glasser for the last 12 months, I must say that I have found few reasons to complain thus far... :facepalm:;)

Nice job on the tear down and foam removal.

Thanks Dozer...

EDIT: Decker (didn't mean to overlook 'ya - thanks for stopping by)...

Luckily, Isaac hasn't been much more than a heavy downpour with a few gusts here and there... However, he did laugh at my boat covering set-up... I walked outside this morning and the cover was collapsed into the boat with about a good foot of water in there.. It was too heavy to lift, so I just cut the cover and let it run into the boat... I got a free leak test in the process :)... I didn't see any blown rivets or seams and she held the water pretty good until I lifted the nose and let it run out the bilge... Now she is uncovered and just getting nature-made pressure wash:

isaac-thuam-1.jpg