• Side (or Side by Side) console

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rrumba

Ensign
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17 Foot

Roger that ^^^. Lesson One: Rivet Removal: Check.

P.S. sure would be easier just to cut all that crap out... :cool:

I feel like such a rookie... Sort of like the guy that walks into the weight room and says, do you remind if I remove those 45 plates, so I can do a few sets with the bar.... Baby steps... I'll get there...

this is where Jas walks in with his 300lb weights on his shoulder and looks over at you to say, son, you may want to start over there with the 5lb dumb bells and step away from the 45lb bar.....

Just as jbcurt said and once the lip breaks off stop. make sure you use a good sharp drill bit and slow down towards the end, you will be able to feel when it's about to give up. I use a set of nail punches to drive the other end out, and if some do not let go i use a pair of vise grips on the back side and pull it out.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Bah, we are all rookies here man. The cool thing is in many cases we have shown that we can still build em better than how they were from the pros (the factory).:cool:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Side note......

If you desire to lift the motor again....... (without the lifting eye) remove the cowl and use Straps like motorcycle tie down straps. That motor is 300 lbs top heavy and the straps are normally rated higher....... the only reason I say that is because they do not scratch or mar anything.

Hey the motor is off....... easy fun work ahead!!!

That motor cowling is butt ugly but, so was mine ;) Some paint and decals fixed me right up.

IMG00004-20100524-0844.jpgDSCN4602.jpg

My sympathies on the yellow jackets....... I got stung last week but eliminated a big nest inside my 3/4 ton's mirror ......did it at night ;)

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Side note......

If you desire to lift the motor again....... (without the lifting eye) remove the cowl and use Straps like motorcycle tie down straps. That motor is 300 lbs top heavy and the straps are normally rated higher....... the only reason I say that is because they do not scratch or mar anything.

Hey the motor is off....... easy fun work ahead!!!

That motor cowling is butt ugly but, so was mine ;) Some paint and decals fixed me right up.

View attachment 165377View attachment 165378

My sympathies on the yellow jackets....... I got stung last week but eliminated a big nest inside my 3/4 ton's mirror ......did it at night ;)

Nice looking paint job on that engine cowl Bob. I want to do that to mine. The decals cost some dough though. Maybe I will make it another fall project. I need to make a list LOL :p

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys for the advice so far... Mid-weekend demo update for you.

Here is the transom with the transom cap removed... Not pretty.... A lesson learned about running a boat before really getting a good look at your transom... I was lucky I did not drop my motor in the water with the mulch I had back here...

transom.jpg

Note the scissors pushed into the mulch...

transom2.jpg

Sea Nymph is confused... She thought she was a glasser with all this foam... We'll help her find her true identity on the rebuild:

splashwellfoam.jpg

Here is the splash-well/transom area getting demo-ed. This is where I sort of hit a dead end... See next post.

Transomsplashwelldemo.jpg

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

This is a close up of the splash well area - sort of a zoom in from the above pick... This is where I sort of ran into a dead end...

spashwellclose-1.jpg

Here's the deal... the 2 vertical pieces on the side are riveted to the bottom of the hull, so I'm scared to punch em out (??). The knee brace is also riveted into the hull and its part of what is locking this last remaining part of the assembly in place.

Also I can't lift the top of the splash well (the horizontal piece) because it is welded to the side pieces and also screwed into the rotten transom with rusted bolts that are not going to come off with traditional means... Some of the boats go all the way through the transom... I think I am going to have to grind some bolts off...

Also, should I just cut the vertical pieces with a cut blade instead of punching out the rivets that go through the bottom of the hull?

Hope this makes sense... P.S. thanks for the tip on the 3/16 sharp bit... That made life much easier. :)

I'd like to get this area completely removed so I can remove that inner transom skin and have a wide open working area for the new transom and rear casting deck...

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

If it were me,...I would take lots of pictures to help remember how it goes back together and start popping rivets until it come apart,....

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Teamster... I hit a few of the tricky/rusted bolts with the cut blade and popped a few more rivets and I was able to shake it loose:

Yep, that transom was mulch... Only had to use my sawzall in one little area... rest came out with bare hands and a broom..

transommulch.jpg

Here is a view of the transom area with pretty much everything gone but the knee brace; Hit the transom with a little sanding just to get a little better look at the damage... A bit of corrosion (to be expected, but I don't see any large areas or any that go all the way through:

transomremovedsanded.jpg

Yep, had fun making a good ole mess today:

goodoldmess.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks great! Did you drill out the thru hull rivets on the vertical pieces?

emoney

Commander

Wow, you weren't exaggerating at all calling it "mulch". Yikes. Good demo work getting it out though.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Nice progress there PMC...looks like you figured out the tear apart of the splashwell area just fine...

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Looks great! Did you drill out the thru hull rivets on the vertical pieces?

Sort of...:) They were pushed up from the bottom of the hull, so I hit the parts sticking through with the cutting blade on my grinder... Then, I drilled out just enough to free it... So, the head of the rivet is still there and basically flush with the hull. I will either redo the rivets or cover that area with a little plate and some waterproofing (or both)...

Thanks guys - I have two pretty big steps behind me - lifting the motor and getting rid of that transom..

Have a good evening... Actually getting to go out tonight with the Admiral... some overdue fun with "tall people" (grown ups)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Have a good evening... Actually getting to go out tonight with the Admiral... some overdue fun with "tall people" (grown ups)

Well, I ain't short, but I'm not much of a bunk warmer in the winter ;) Enjoy talking to anyone about anything other then boats & Elmo (or whatever your kids like to talk about) :cool:

Have a good evening out. But back on it Sun am, correct? :)

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

PMC good come back! But you turncoated to tin ! But to each his own and what can we glassers say when you start cummin with jas. I bet you'll be back in the water before jas finishes his islander. Good progress a lil each day will get you there.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey bro, you did a nice job pulling all that stern side structure otta there;)

So were you able to get a template out of that transom:facepalm:

Decker83

Commander

WOW after seeing that transom in the pics, you were lucky. Nothing but mulch.
Looking good on the tear down. You made alot of good progress.
I wouldn't worry about what any of the glasser's say. I am a glasser, and if I found a boat like yours for the right price I would own one also.
Keep up the good work and enjoy the tall people.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Lookin' real good PMC!

Now you can snicker at all those poor glass guys when they put on their respirators to work on their boats.

All the ones that're jabbing at you are just so jealous they can hardly stand it.:p

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Yea PMC jig right but I do like to poke at J here and there @ least till I see that islander hit the water! Big fan of that thread

rrumba

Ensign

PMC, nice progress and definitely 2 milestones behind you. Keep on plugging away and you will be caught up with JAS in a few days. Once you get the transom area all cleaned up of the corrosion make sure that you hit it with some type of primer paint or something to help cut down on future corrosion as it will hellp act as a barrier

64osby

Admiral

PMC, The FG CC wasn't an epic fail, it was a great learning experience. Now you're on the high road making progress in dry dock land.

I too once bought an FG with big dreams of fixing it up. Then the Wisemen in Tinville and the Starmada here at iboats showed me the path to intelligent boat ownership.

Nice SN, way to go. Have fun and good luck:)