Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Side (or Side by Side) console

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

Okay, many of you know that the pilot for Man v. Boat got cancelled by the network (poor ratings, I am told)... While the first boat wasn't right for me, I never lost the desire to take on a boat project and make something my own...And, I wanted something set-up for fishing..... So, I picked up this tinny this weekend. It is a 1988 Sea Nymph Great Lakes Special - with a 1974 Johnson o/b (85 hp). I was very hesitant to start a thread after my initial (and somewhat public) failure on the Chris Craft, but I can't imagine working on a boat without the support and camaraderie of my good friends on iboats alongside side me...Plus, I will need a lot of help from the metal boat gang, since basically everything I learned this last year about i/os and fiberglass will have zero application on this boat....So, with that said, I'd like to introduce you to the new rig:
SN_LakeTest.jpg

Christened the boat with its first fish:
PW_RobertCatch.jpg

I am glad to be back with another project.
Patrick

Wait, what? You picked it up already? I seem to remember a conversation about it being such a drag having to wait until Labor Day....
Now I find out that not only have you picked it up, splashed it without having to work on it, AND caught fish??:confused:??

Lucky for you it's a nice rig so I'll stick around...... :rolleyes: Yeah lucky for you....

Now I'm on to watching the vid & catching up on the rest of YESTERDAY's news. BTW: I'm also a dollar short :facepalm:, maybe more then just a few, so certainly more then 1:eek:

Joeyscarola

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

Hey PMC,

Getting rid of all that foam ain't so bad, as long as it was water logged! I had a hell of a time pulling out big chunks of foam in mine...hahaha Good luck, your SN looks way better than mine and you haven't even started yet. Looking forward to seeing the progress!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17 Foot

I like the bare hull bottom, white gunwales & blue graphic.... Plan on keeping it I would imagine, if it's in as good shape as it appears.

Outstanding, and welcome to the metal-mania :D

Trooper82

Commander

Congrats PMC!

Nice looking boat...have fun, i'll be on oard for what ever you have planned...

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for stopping in fellas... A little progress update for you:

Lifting the motor (that was a high priority given the stress I was seeing on the transom/splashwell):

EngineLift_1.jpg

Here is the little engine stand I made (actually the second one I made - the first one was an epic fail). I left it on the hoist so I can roll it around in my garage.... I tried casters at first but there was no way to transfer it from the hoist my stand without the casters getting in the way...

EngineOnStand.jpg

Here is my scary transom... Yep, you can see the mulch through the crack in the transom cap.... You can also see the splashwell separation and the prior (now failing) repair... Got my work cut out for me back there... Luckily, there is no foam adjacent to the transom, so I am hoping for the best in terms of corrosion, etc..

ScaryTransom.jpg

Next step - demo!!!! Will need some help on best practices for getting rid of rivets in tight (impossible to reach) places...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dood, check under that cowel, have ya got a lifting ring mounted on block there? That might have made your life easier. Some have em some don't.

I don't know why you didn't just pick it up and move it off with your bare hands. You have already proven yourself a stud athlete:rolleyes:

Ah man, I'm bummed that transom cap got all bent/cracked, rats! That's a sure sign you have mulch for a transom. You can fab up a new one though, it's all good;)

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

:facepalm: I looked for one but i didn't see anything that looked like one. Since I am just learning about outboards and was feeling my way around in the dark (literally), I didn't want to take a chance on anything that wasn't "for certain" an lifting ring... So, that's why you see the gerry-rigged set-up.

Oh, and I would have lifted it with my bare hands but I had just gotten through maxin' out at the gym (i think I threw up like 650 about 10 times) so I was a little beat...

You guys will appreciate this - so I went out to the shop yesterday to pick up my old OMC stern drive because the local dealer/marina may want it for parts. Its been sitting in a shed for a year or so... So, I pick it up and throw it in the back of my SUV... Start driving off and all of the sudden I am surrounded by wasps that apparently had built a little nest in there... They were none too happy about getting relocated... I got popped on the elbow twice and screamed like a little girl... Then, I spent about thirty minutes killing wasps with one of my shoes... Aren't boats fun!!!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ah sheesh! That ol glasser and stringer drive set up just wanted to give you one last kick right in the junk huh! Man, you've had enough!!!:eek: Uncle Already!!:)

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I think your motor is old enough it won't have a lifting eye. The ones I have seen with them seem to be in the mid 80's and up. Demo looks like it is going good so far. The transom should be a breeze to take out with a pitchfork and shovel :eek:

rrumba

Ensign

see what you get for separating the glasser from her power plant......

well you can make a lifting ring for it using some steel plate sock with a hole cut out of the middle so the flywheel bolt comes through the center and then using grade 8 bolts drill the holes and bolt the plate to the flywheel.

i don't think you will need the pitch fork and shovel, your little air compressor should do the job just fine..... or remove the cap and let the breeze do it for you..... :D BN was just trying to be nice is all

jbcurt00

Staff member

Dood, check under that cowel, have ya got a lifting ring mounted on block there? That might have made your life easier. Some have em some don't.

Seems like part # 69 is a lift ring:

42897.gif

#69 — 318485 — 318485 — LIFT BRKT., CYLINDER (1 required per assembly)
0318485 - Vintage, BRACKET

Replaces OEM # 0318485
$6.00$6.00
4 in stock.

From here ;)

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

That would be it. It should be right next to the flywheel. I'm not sure if all motors had them though????

jbcurt00

Staff member

Both of the mid 60's 40hp do, as do both the late 50's 10hp & 50hp. When 1st described as a lifting ring, I didn't see 1 on the 1st 40hp. But that's because it was above eye level when I looked & it didn't look like what I thought a lift ring should look like. Once I found the 1st 1, the rest were easy to find.

But finding the 1st 1 wasn't as easy as I expected it to be. I'm hoping ya just missed it.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Likely over looked the lifting ring, my 70 and 72(parts motor) V4 115(125) both had them.

The sling idea works good too if you don't care about the paint, as that's what I had to do after I ripped the one off my parts motor by forgetting to go back and finish knocking out the top bolts. :facepalm:

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

It's cool about the lifting ring. I thought that mine had one, but I would have done the same thing not wanting to tear anything up.

Now the fun part begins DEMO :D That is always my favorite part of the project :D

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Okay guys - quick tutorial for a metal boat rookie... I can hear the starmada snickering and pointing as I type this, but what is the best way to remove reeeevits... I read somewhere to use a 1/8 drill bit... It punches through the back side of the rivet, but that's about it. It doesn't loosen the rivet, or remove the head. I can make a better progress with a larger bit, but it does a little more hole damage...

Sorry, I'm an idiot...

Maybe this thread can serve as "metal boat restoration 101" for those who know nothing like me. :facepalm:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

3/16" will make that job a whole lot easier;)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep, 3/16" and drill just until the rivet 'lip' comes loose. Takes a little pressure to get started, but it'll come off quick once the drill bits into the aluminum. Use a variable speed drill, & use the variable speed trigger to slow down as you finish drilling, it will minimize the # of holes you over drill. You will over drill a few.

You'll end up w/ a bunch of the little rings on the drill bit. Take 'em off as you get a few. Then use a punch to push the shank & other side off;)

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Roger that ^^^. Lesson One: Rivet Removal: Check.

P.S. sure would be easier just to cut all that crap out... :cool:

I feel like such a rookie... Sort of like the guy that walks into the weight room and says, do you remind if I remove those 45 plates, so I can do a few sets with the bar.... Baby steps... I'll get there...

jbcurt00

Staff member

While at work today, the strangest thing happened
:eek:

Takes time to find your stride ;) I may be finding mine in a totally unexpected direction.....

Go back & read thru some of any one's early posts.... Willingness to dig in & stick with the dirty work, you'll get it.