• Side (or Side by Side) console

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

64osby

Admiral
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17 Foot

Didn't vote but the DC looks like a better option on your size boat.

That being said, I love our 21' Mariner CC. It has tons of room.

Great progress, keep it up.

Nice foam work.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm not trying to start anything and I mean no offense to anyone or their boat, but I had that exact layout b.gagnon and couldn't wait to tear it out. I think what I have now is a much more fishing friendly environment for 2 or 3 guys to slow troll or just move from crappie tree to crappie tree.

IMAG0352.jpg

But enough of that, nice work Patrick keep it up.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Guys, this is all great input - really. I could see myself being super happy in either type of set-up. In fact, I stared at b. gagnon's pics for about an hour last night and even took my ipad out to the garage to eyeball some things in comparison to his pics... Just like most things boat-related (ob vs. i/o, bunks v. rollers, color, glass v. tin), layout is a matter of personal preference. I can see why each camp prefers its set-up, which is why I was struggling with the choice. In the end, it boils down to two things: (1) In a 16 foot boat, I think you have to choose between a center console and rear casting deck - you really can't have both. I want the rear deck for sub-deck storage and fishing platform for a buddy (my little buddy) more than I want the center console; and (2), more importantly, this gives me an excuse to buy another, bigger boat when I'm done with this one :D 21 foot mariner, maybe????

P.S. lar, can you post or p.m. me some dimensions on your rear deck... I am going to have to do the exact same mod to my boat, because my gunwales don't run all the way back... I am probably going to make min a tad longer, but I like the way you modified a smaller splashwell and tied the deck into your gunwale extensions... great work, buddy!

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am just being a little selfish pushing for the center console..But it would just be nice to finally see someone actually put the transom back together the way it was. That way I can finely see how to do it!!!
On a more serious note it will cost a ton of money to do it right....I had a Seanymph SS165 Dual console that was due for a tear down so I considered converting it. After adding it all up it was cheaper to just get a different boat.
That striper is a great hull.....Very deep sides for the kids. On my other boat the casting decks were so high I always felt like the kids were going to fall out! I have been on many different boat's of that size and I think that you will find that unless you convert it to a bass style boat, the rear casting deck will be very small and not safe for unstable people! You may also want to consider the type of water that you will be using the boat in. If it is rough than you may want to keep the transom the way it was, so waves don't swamp the rear deck. The original design is huge and a bit of a waste of space, but it is as safe as hell! I fish in the ocean and on every single trip I am thankful for it's size! My old boat took 1 out of every 3 waves over the back.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm on a 10,000 acre COE impoundment with 2 foot chop on the very worst days or I would not have taken the giant splashwell out. I modeled mine after the Tracker in my rebuild pics. In one summer of fishing I've not taken a wave over the back that concerned me. I agree that the decks need to stay low with lots of freeboard to keep folks (especially kids) in the boat.

I must admit that Will did the splashwell one day while I was not there. I left with the original framework all intact and came back with the cut down version in place. I will get you all the pics and measurements you want Patrick. I'll even pull the deck back off and get you new pics if you need them. I know that we established the height we wanted based on the height of the front deck, then decided how far forward to go. (If I could do it again I'd go another foot.) We marked the sides with a sharpie to show where the framework would need to be. The first piece of framework was the port to s'board piece that replaced the big splashwell cross piece. We used some scrap wire running trays from my work to make the framework, but what we cut from them would essentially be a piece of 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 X 1/8 aluminum angle.

The gunwales were pretty straightforward, we cut an angle piece to put on the inside of the existing gunwale and extend the framework the rest of the way to the transom. We tied the framework into the transom with one of the angle pieces that supported the splashpan and cut a piece for the top and side from the old splash pan. We overlapped those the same amount the original splashpan was overlapped and pop riveted everything back in with 3/16 X 1/2 rivets. Look back through my pics and let me know what you need more detail on. I'll be happy to get some pics for you.

You can see a lot of what we did in this picture. We measured from the deck up to layout the height of the casting deck. My rear deck really should go about a foot or even more further forward, with the trolling bar in place it is really no more than a place for a seat. We didn't get to do a lot of artificial casting this last Spring so I didn't really need more than I had back there. We cast plugs at night, the darker the better, and the rear deck guy will have to sit or I'm afraid he will run out of casting deck and be in the drink or on the deck. The trolling bar will be out then so that may help some.

IMAG0188-1.jpg

All of the old splaswell framework is still in the boat. I'm pretty sure all of it is the factory height. We may have had to lower the two pop riveted pieces on each side of the tray an inch or so. The foremost piece of angle running from port to s'board is pop riveted through the hull with two 3/16 rivets, it immediately stabilized the hull a lot. I thought we would need more support until we tied everything back together with decking and put the trim back on, that really stabilized the sides.

A piece of the cable tray is to the right in the pic, and you can see what we did with the gunwales. The upward angled piece across the front of the splash pan is a piece he cut out of the splashpan, flipped over and pop riveted back in, somehow using a factory angle that was on it to give him the upward tilt. Everything was cut with a sabre saw or sawzall. I'm almost sure that the bottom tray of the splashwell is still like it came from the factory. We didn't make it any smaller on the bottom, we made is lower on the sides and front.

IMAG0189.jpg

From another angle. To close the sides in we used a piece of sealed Aurouco and the 1/8 fiberglass we used on the transom. We cut the angles on the plywood, glued them in on all sides with liquid nails and ran a few screws across the top. We waited for all that to set up then glued the fiberglass sheets on over the sealed plywood.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

Thanks lmuss! That's great info.... No need to lift the deck. After thinking on this for a few days, I think i have a plan for how I"m going to do it... Similar to yours, but a little different...

As you can see, I chopped my gigantic splashwell in half, but left the bottom extended because I was going to need something there anyway to re-rivet from when I removed it originally... I also did this to make room for my deck which will extend back flush, as well as my livewell, which is bit on the bigger end. I am going to build some braces around this to hold the livewell, and to bracket the rest of the splashwell pieces and support the deck. May not make sense but I think I have a plan coming together in my gray matter...

9_29_12_splaswell.jpg

Had to hoist the boat to the ceiling and then slide the trailer out for access to the bottom of the hull for riveting:

9_29_12_Movingthetrailerout.jpg

And painted the transom and dropped it in:

9_29_12_transom.jpg

Hope to get started on the deck tomorrow...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You are moving man, couple of big steps right there, nice!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Good looking foam job and awesome progress on the transom and splash well redesign...:cool:

Decker83

Commander

Your work is looking great. Things are coming together for you. Keep up the good work.
When you going to put up some more vids. Miss them from the old thread.

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Looking good PMC.

It's about time I start my fall projects :rolleyes:

Trooper82

Commander

Transom looks like it was always there pmc..good job!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I,m with decker .. Vids please !!:)

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

You are moving man, couple of big steps right there, nice!

Thanks man... Having a metal boat in my garage = much faster than a glass boat 45 minutes away... Enjoying it so far!

Good looking foam job and awesome progress on the transom and splash well redesign...:cool:

Thanks Gus! The splash-well/rear-deck is going to be tricky, but I think I have it worked out.

Your work is looking great. Things are coming together for you. Keep up the good work.
When you going to put up some more vids. Miss them from the old thread.

Thanks Kent; Vids, you say???... Hmmm. I was sort of taking a break from the public eye (thought everyone was tired of seeing my mug).... I'll get one posted soon....

Looking good PMC.

It's about time I start my fall projects :rolleyes:

Yep, that's what fall and winter are for, right!

Transom looks like it was always there pmc..good job!

Thanks!

I,m with decker .. Vids please !!:)

Okay, Okay, I hear ya... I'll see what I can do.. By the way, your sewing video was really cool (did I just say that out loud?)... For those of you who haven't seen it, it is about as cool as watching a grown man sew can get... seriously... Jethro Trull and everything :)

Folks, the foam is finally DONE!!!! Major milestone... I riveted back in the two bilge braces and then threw in some final wedges with a a little pool noodles for "garnish" (I had to throw some pool noodles in - just to fit in with the the metal boat crowd)...

10_1_11_Foamfinished.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Standing the foam up like that is a great idea ! How many full sheets did it take ?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Sir, if Foamville were a city, you would be it's mayor!:D

You did a total bang up job on fitting that foam!:cool:

I feel like a total loser by just stuffing my foam to fit. I'm going out to the garage, ripping my deck out, and doing it again. My low standards are entirely unacceptable:redface::facepalm:

dozerII

Admiral

Great job on the the foam, I know form first hand experince how time consuming it is to cut it to fit like that.

64osby

Admiral

How much scrap did you end up with, how many sheets of foam total.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I should spend a week at the beach more often, I come back and:

Foam installation = Done, Check1

Transom fab = Done, Check2

Transom installed = Done, Check2.5

Dual VS Center console decision firmly decided = Done, Check3

Rear deck retrofit, put back of parts & [pieces plus rivet work commencing = Check4

Great work & great progress! In a week +/- :cool:!!!

I'm not worthy of following progress at this speed :facepalm: Is there a remedial thread I can follow instead? :redface:

Hope you have a great rest of this week too!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Hey guys... Thanks for the compliments... So, I think it was about 10 sheets of the 3/4 inch foam (biggest size Lowe's had).... I tried to minimize waste, but I had a fair amount of scrap - about 3 garbage bags full...

Question (primarily for Jas) - even though I think I have a pretty good sub-deck foaming, I still want to put some foam under the deck boards to provide additional strength, flotation and noise reduction (for those of you that have no clue what I am talking about, I am referring to Jason's sea nymph where he built pretty much all of his main and casting decks with foam underlayment...)...

I was going to use 1 3/4 sheet of foam under 3/4 marine grade ply. However, I am worried that just 1 sheet of foam may sag particularly on any any pressure points like where the cross braces are, etc.... Am I overthinking this? I just don't want my casting decks to pull apart from the main deck if the foam underlayment sags over time? Mabye I could laminate 2 3/4 sheets together with PL and then have it really bomber strong...

thoughts?

Thanks,
pmc (mayor of foamville) :)

EDIT: JBC, we were typing at the same time.. Glad your back, friend... Hope you had a good time.