1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

Okay, many of you know that the pilot for Man v. Boat got cancelled by the network (poor ratings, I am told)... While the first boat wasn't right for me, I never lost the desire to take on a boat project and make something my own...And, I wanted something set-up for fishing..... So, I picked up this tinny this weekend. It is a 1988 Sea Nymph Great Lakes Special - with a 1974 Johnson o/b (85 hp). I was very hesitant to start a thread after my initial (and somewhat public) failure on the Chris Craft, but I can't imagine working on a boat without the support and camaraderie of my good friends on iboats alongside side me...Plus, I will need a lot of help from the metal boat gang, since basically everything I learned this last year about i/os and fiberglass will have zero application on this boat....

So, with that said, I'd like to introduce you to the new rig:

Little man testing the waters:

And he actually christened the boat with its first fish:

And here is a little clip from the lake test (Just click the picture to see the vid):

A few more pics to follow in next post...

I am glad to be back with another project.

All the best,
    Patrick
    Center Console
    38.89%
    Side (or Side by Side) console
    61.11%

The poll is expired.

My Project Thread: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

sigpic

Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17 Foot

Here are some more pics:

the interior lay-out... The cute little kids didn't come with it... I added those:

Here is the splash well and transom area:

This area is a little cobbled together and strange... The gunwales don't run all the way back to the transom (they stop right there at the gigantor splash-well assembly)... the compartment on the starboard side is filled with a styrofoam block.. The one on the port side is a little latched compartment that you can lift up for battery storage. I want a rear-casting deck back there, so this is going to be an interesting (challenging) part of the mod. Also, the transom needs to be rebuilt as the splashwell is starting to separate from the transom due to the stresses caused by a weak transom.... Gotta fix that on the rebuild.

Here is the very basic helm set-up... (no gauges and only 3 switches, that is sub-par).

I have a separate thread going on over on the Johnson-Envinrude forum that shows me checking compression, testing out and changing the gear oil and also has some questions about adding tilt and trim assembly, etc... If you want to check that out, the link is here. Feel free to chime in here (or there) if you know some of the answers...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=573672

I have already started the demo, because I want that heavy engine off the transom as soon as possible... and, yes, like other Sean Nymphs, she has the dreaded pour in foam.

I'll post as I progress.

~PMC

sigpic

Comment

You can actually go out buy a usable boat

I didn't think that was allowed.

The measure of a man is how he deals with being knocked down. I say nice recovery with the Sea Nymph. Its a good looking usable boat, I'm sure Jas will be along to start passing out the cake, cookies, and pie to celebrate your conversion to tinnyism.

Edit: I see I posted too fast to let you finish.

Comment

Congratts on the new SN. Looks really nice. See the whole crew is already enjoying.
        Just when I thought I was really learning, I continue to find out how little I really know.

Project thread
        Deck Boat https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=471173
        StarCraft https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...-18-ss-restore

Comment

Thanks guys...looking forward to it.

As an aside, I don't know whether to be flattered or offended by the fact that there is presently a "banner ad" running on top of my thread with a bunch of glam shots of Cougars on it that says "we don't like young men - we want you."

Interesting... I'm not even 40 yet, but oh well...

Also, one of the most bizarre parts of the story behind this boat was the fact that the P.O. had a gigantic talking parrot on his porch. As we were settling up on the sale, both my cousin (who was with me) and I could have sworn that the parrot was saying "RUN...RUN...RUN"

sigpic

Comment

Awesome brah~!

I'd drinking some celebratory Kool-Aid as I type... Fruit Punch OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the Key West out all weekend! I've not been able to get the smile off my face yet!

Super happy for you dood!

Bear
            " Jackson Lee II " 2003 Key West 1720 CC, 2003 Yamaha 115 TRLB

Lund S-14 Resto https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...1971-lund-14-s

Comment

I am signing on to be able to view your thread and updates. I look forward to your progress. Congrats PMC!!
              Glenn

Comment

My old rig was quite similar to one you picked up. Overall, it was a pretty good rig and served me well for several years. I also had a 85hp Johnson on mine. It would get and go pretty good, usually topped out at about 38mph but I did get it to do 40 once.

I'm not sure if a prior owner had removed the full windshield from your GLS175 or not - or perhaps it is just a variation of this model.

Anyway... good luck on your project.

Comment

Very nice and cute kids too. Really a great combination of boat and motor. You can add in a tach very easy and that woould be my primary gauge of choice.
                  This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
                  Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

Nice looking boat,...

Look forward too following along,...............

Comment

Congratulations on the acquisition of the new to you Sea Nymph! I like it a lot, because it hails from the same year as my glitter boat...

I am looking forward to a Jas-like speedy and factory looking refurb of this floating hunk-o-tin and the many happy times that will be had by all who will have the good fortune to sail in it...

Way to make a come back...

Now back to our regularly scheduled program..."Man vs. Floating Metal"
                      Why a Fiberglass Boat?...Because they are,"The more beautiful, more seaworthy, more elegant, more easier to get chicks in, nicer, more common, more socially accepted, more politically correct boats."Quote by oops!
                      Tight Lines and Float, Float On!
                      Notice: All links to previous photos have been kidnapped by Photobucket.
                      They no longer allow 3rd party hosting unless you fork over $400
                      If you need to see any photos from my thread, PM me

Comment

A convert to tin heaven, SWEET!!!!!!! Nice boat for a project, good luck on the foam, LOL
                        1976 starcraft Islander
                        https://forums.iboats.com/showthread...highlight=1976
                        1990 Evinrude 150 VRO Thread https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=576371
                        15hp https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=580283
                        1976 Browning Aerocraft Fishmaster II
                        1984 50 hp Johnson twins https://forums.iboats.com/showthread...light=Browning
                        1989 Crestliner 16' Flatbottom
                        1978 Johnson 10 hp
                        MBS Multiple Boat Syndrome

Comment

ah, pics and i knew jason would be around with the kool-aid........ nice boat, catching fish already, running and now tearing it apart let the fun begin.
                          Fair Winds and Following Seas

"Project #1" 1967 Iola Molded Plastics Aztec, OMC TU-15S 200hp, 300CID, Electric Shift
                          Thread here: https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=487195

1975 Starcraft 18ft Holiday
                          https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=491394

Comment

Originally posted by bear_69cuda View Post
                            Awesome brah~!

I'd drinking some celebratory Kool-Aid as I type... Fruit Punch OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the Key West out all weekend! I've not been able to get the smile off my face yet!

Super happy for you dood!
                            Thanks Bear; So far, the Kool-Aid has been enjoyable... she has already cut me, though Glad you are getting to enjoy your boat.

Originally posted by glnbnz View Post
                            I am signing on to be able to view your thread and updates. I look forward to your progress. Congrats PMC!!
                            Glen, glad you found me over here in tinny-land. Going to take my time and try and enjoy the process.

Originally posted by McGR View Post
                            My old rig was quite similar to one you picked up. Overall, it was a pretty good rig and served me well for several years. I also had a 85hp Johnson on mine. It would get and go pretty good, usually topped out at about 38mph but I did get it to do 40 once.

I'm not sure if a prior owner had removed the full windshield from your GLS175 or not - or perhaps it is just a variation of this model.

Anyway... good luck on your project.
                            Thanks for stopping by and sharing the picture of your boat. Looks like a nice rig... I am thinking about going with Navy blue or black, so it was nice to see your color scheme... Yeah, I don't think my wind screens are factory... I think somebody got glitter boat envy in the lat 80s/early 90s and threw those on there... I may convert this rig to a center console, we'll see...

Originally posted by Bob_VT View Post
                            Very nice and cute kids too. Really a great combination of boat and motor. You can add in a tach very easy and that woould be my primary gauge of choice.
                            Thanks for the kind words Bob. Appreciate you stopping by... Glad to get some positive feedback on the boat. I think it will suit my needs just right, so I am excited.

Originally posted by Teamster View Post
                            Nice looking boat,...

Look forward too following along,...............
                            Thanks Teamster - glad to have you!

Originally posted by GT1000000 View Post
                            Congratulations on the acquisition of the new to you Sea Nymph! I like it a lot, because it hails from the same year as my glitter boat...

I am looking forward to a Jas-like speedy and factory looking refurb of this floating hunk-o-tin and the many happy times that will be had by all who will have the good fortune to sail in it...

Way to make a come back...

Now back to our regularly scheduled program..."Man vs. Floating Metal"
                            Thanks GT - Glad to have you on board for Part Two: If you are expecting to see Jas-like speed and quality, you may be in for a let-down. He has set the bar high - although he has given me a great example to follow for some of the things I want to do to this boat (e.g. rear casting deck, etc...).

Originally posted by magnumdeke View Post
                            A convert to tin heaven, SWEET!!!!!!! Nice boat for a project, good luck on the foam, LOL
                            Yeah man - I'm a card carrying tinny convert... Loud and proud.

Originally posted by rrumba View Post
                            ah, pics and i knew jason would be around with the kool-aid........ nice boat, catching fish already, running and now tearing it apart let the fun begin.
                            Thanks Roger - You and Jas have been a huge help to me.... Appreciate it.

Have a good day... I'll check back in as soon as I get some real work done on it.

Thanks!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X