• Center Console

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Side (or Side by Side) console

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Okay, many of you know that the pilot for Man v. Boat got cancelled by the network (poor ratings, I am told)... While the first boat wasn't right for me, I never lost the desire to take on a boat project and make something my own...And, I wanted something set-up for fishing..... So, I picked up this tinny this weekend. It is a 1988 Sea Nymph Great Lakes Special - with a 1974 Johnson o/b (85 hp). I was very hesitant to start a thread after my initial (and somewhat public) failure on the Chris Craft, but I can't imagine working on a boat without the support and camaraderie of my good friends on iboats alongside side me...Plus, I will need a lot of help from the metal boat gang, since basically everything I learned this last year about i/os and fiberglass will have zero application on this boat....

So, with that said, I'd like to introduce you to the new rig:

SN_LakeTest.jpg

Little man testing the waters:

PW_RobertFishing.jpg

And he actually christened the boat with its first fish:

PW_RobertCatch.jpg

And here is a little clip from the lake test (Just click the picture to see the vid):

A few more pics to follow in next post...

I am glad to be back with another project.

All the best,
Patrick

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17 Foot

Here are some more pics:

the interior lay-out... The cute little kids didn't come with it... I added those:

SN_InteriorLayout.jpg

Here is the splash well and transom area:

SN_splashwell.jpg

This area is a little cobbled together and strange... The gunwales don't run all the way back to the transom (they stop right there at the gigantor splash-well assembly)... the compartment on the starboard side is filled with a styrofoam block.. The one on the port side is a little latched compartment that you can lift up for battery storage. I want a rear-casting deck back there, so this is going to be an interesting (challenging) part of the mod. Also, the transom needs to be rebuilt as the splashwell is starting to separate from the transom due to the stresses caused by a weak transom.... Gotta fix that on the rebuild.

Here is the very basic helm set-up... (no gauges and only 3 switches, that is sub-par).

SN_HelmControls_Dash.jpg

I have a separate thread going on over on the Johnson-Envinrude forum that shows me checking compression, testing out and changing the gear oil and also has some questions about adding tilt and trim assembly, etc... If you want to check that out, the link is here. Feel free to chime in here (or there) if you know some of the answers...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=573672

I have already started the demo, because I want that heavy engine off the transom as soon as possible... and, yes, like other Sean Nymphs, she has the dreaded pour in foam.

I'll post as I progress.

~PMC

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

You can actually go out buy a usable boat :confused:

I didn't think that was allowed.

The measure of a man is how he deals with being knocked down. I say nice recovery with the Sea Nymph. Its a good looking usable boat, I'm sure Jas will be along to start passing out the cake, cookies, and pie to celebrate your conversion to tinnyism. :D

Edit: I see I posted too fast to let you finish.

Decker83

Commander

Congratts on the new SN. Looks really nice. See the whole crew is already enjoying.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys...looking forward to it.

As an aside, I don't know whether to be flattered or offended by the fact that there is presently a "banner ad" running on top of my thread with a bunch of glam shots of Cougars on it that says "we don't like young men - we want you."

Interesting... I'm not even 40 yet, but oh well...

Also, one of the most bizarre parts of the story behind this boat was the fact that the P.O. had a gigantic talking parrot on his porch. As we were settling up on the sale, both my cousin (who was with me) and I could have sworn that the parrot was saying "RUN...RUN...RUN"

bear_69cuda

Commander

Awesome brah~!

I'd drinking some celebratory Kool-Aid as I type... Fruit Punch OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the Key West out all weekend! I've not been able to get the smile off my face yet!

Super happy for you dood!

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

I am signing on to be able to view your thread and updates. I look forward to your progress. Congrats PMC!! :)

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My old rig was quite similar to one you picked up. Overall, it was a pretty good rig and served me well for several years. I also had a 85hp Johnson on mine. It would get and go pretty good, usually topped out at about 38mph but I did get it to do 40 once.

I'm not sure if a prior owner had removed the full windshield from your GLS175 or not - or perhaps it is just a variation of this model.

Anyway... good luck on your project.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Very nice and cute kids too. Really a great combination of boat and motor. You can add in a tach very easy and that woould be my primary gauge of choice.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Nice looking boat,...

Look forward too following along,...............

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Congratulations on the acquisition of the new to you Sea Nymph! I like it a lot, because it hails from the same year as my glitter boat...

I am looking forward to a Jas-like speedy and factory looking refurb of this floating hunk-o-tin and the many happy times that will be had by all who will have the good fortune to sail in it...

Way to make a come back...

Now back to our regularly scheduled program..."Man vs. Floating Metal"

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

A convert to tin heaven, SWEET!!!!!!! Nice boat for a project, good luck on the foam, LOL

rrumba

Ensign

ah, pics and i knew jason would be around with the kool-aid........ nice boat, catching fish already, running and now tearing it apart :D let the fun begin.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome brah~!

I'd drinking some celebratory Kool-Aid as I type... Fruit Punch OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the Key West out all weekend! I've not been able to get the smile off my face yet!

Super happy for you dood!

Thanks Bear; So far, the Kool-Aid has been enjoyable... she has already cut me, though:) Glad you are getting to enjoy your boat.

I am signing on to be able to view your thread and updates. I look forward to your progress. Congrats PMC!! :)

Glen, glad you found me over here in tinny-land. Going to take my time and try and enjoy the process.

My old rig was quite similar to one you picked up. Overall, it was a pretty good rig and served me well for several years. I also had a 85hp Johnson on mine. It would get and go pretty good, usually topped out at about 38mph but I did get it to do 40 once.

I'm not sure if a prior owner had removed the full windshield from your GLS175 or not - or perhaps it is just a variation of this model.

Anyway... good luck on your project.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing the picture of your boat. Looks like a nice rig... I am thinking about going with Navy blue or black, so it was nice to see your color scheme... Yeah, I don't think my wind screens are factory... I think somebody got glitter boat envy in the lat 80s/early 90s and threw those on there... I may convert this rig to a center console, we'll see...

Very nice and cute kids too. Really a great combination of boat and motor. You can add in a tach very easy and that woould be my primary gauge of choice.

Thanks for the kind words Bob. Appreciate you stopping by... Glad to get some positive feedback on the boat. I think it will suit my needs just right, so I am excited.

Nice looking boat,...

Look forward too following along,...............

Thanks Teamster - glad to have you!

Congratulations on the acquisition of the new to you Sea Nymph! I like it a lot, because it hails from the same year as my glitter boat...

I am looking forward to a Jas-like speedy and factory looking refurb of this floating hunk-o-tin and the many happy times that will be had by all who will have the good fortune to sail in it...

Way to make a come back...

Now back to our regularly scheduled program..."Man vs. Floating Metal"

Thanks GT - Glad to have you on board for Part Two: If you are expecting to see Jas-like speed and quality, you may be in for a let-down. He has set the bar high - although he has given me a great example to follow for some of the things I want to do to this boat (e.g. rear casting deck, etc...).

A convert to tin heaven, SWEET!!!!!!! Nice boat for a project, good luck on the foam, LOL

Yeah man - I'm a card carrying tinny convert... Loud and proud.

ah, pics and i knew jason would be around with the kool-aid........ nice boat, catching fish already, running and now tearing it apart :D let the fun begin.

Thanks Roger - You and Jas have been a huge help to me.... Appreciate it.

Have a good day... I'll check back in as soon as I get some real work done on it.

Thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just so you don't forget...
[video]http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/12527113/tinny-and-glasser-having-a-talk[/video]

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome to the t-inside, its way better than working out side with them itchy glassers. Great boat you are starting with.

emoney

Commander

Don't let it bother you, only about 1/2 of us are "real men" capable of owning and operating a fiberglass boat. It's really nothing to worry about.

I like the new Sea Nymph! And I don't see the other project as a "failure", it was more of a "springboard" to great things...like now. Just my 2 cents, but the windshield'ed version posted above really does change that boat's look, should you choose to keep it dual console. Congrats to you!!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to see you scored an awesome rig right off the bat!! Should be an easy and straight forward project for you.