sundeck piano hinge replacement

acula28

Seaman Apprentice
Im repairing the sundeck/engine cover in my 1991 sea ray 200 BR. replacing the wood and vinyl. The hinge that attaches to the sundeck is a piano hinge, and it attaches directly to the transom with a bunch if little screws. The hinge just seems like the weak link. I was thinking of putting two hinges on the bottom of the sundeck and attaching them to the two sundeck supports that go over the engine. Has anyone done this? Or any ideas how ro do it better than the piano hinge? I still need it to open from the back so i can access the engine easier. Any ideas will help. Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: sundeck piano hinge replacement

Posting pics of the problem is always a big help for problems like this. It really helps everyone to come up with the best method for the repair. A free Photobucket account is the best way to post pics to the forum. Use the IMG code from Photobucket and copy and paste it into your post.

acula28

Seaman Apprentice

Ill post some pics as soon as i can get up to my boat. It is stored up near the lake (30 min drive). Wont be able to get up there till friday or so. Thanks again

acula28

Seaman Apprentice

2012-07-19_11-30-55_544.jpg

2012-07-19_11-30-43_263.jpg

All i have for pics till friday

markheck1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you could raise the cover so it's even with the transom you could use these
39744.gif
Cool part is that instead of just lifting up so it falls back on your head while working on the engine it will be removable.
That's what's on the cover for my convertible cover.

EDIT:
Hmmm...not sure how to mount them through a 4 inch cushion and be solid, though :(

acula28

Seaman Apprentice

That is a pretty good idea. Ive been looking all over at hinges, juat can't seem to find the ones i have seen before. It would help if i knew what they were called.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

piano hinges work pretty good, as long as you have the load supported. many boats that use these hinges fun sundecks also have a support rib running side to side in the boat that the bottom of the sunpad rests on. this way, when the sunpad is cloased, the weight is on the support rib, not the hinge

markheck1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Of course with that goes a simpler solution, NO hinges.....
run support braces along all four sides and just set the cover in, you can use velcro backing on the supports to hold it down and keep it from rattling. This of course assumes your back plate extends lower that the bottom of the cover.

acula28

Seaman Apprentice

Ill take some pics feiday when i make it up to the boat so u all can see whay i have to work with. There are two suppoets that run parallel to each other and go from transon to the back seats. This is what the covee rests on. I was thinking of using car hood hinges, and attach them to the supports and then to the very bottom if the sundecks wood frame. Any thoughts on this idea?

acula28

Seaman Apprentice
what type of wood for sundeck rebuild?

what type of wood for sundeck rebuild?

I am rebuilding the sundeck on my sea ray. Marine 3/4 plywood is like 90$ per sheet, and treated is like 38$ per sheet. So my question is... do i have to have marine grade? What do you all use?
2012-07-19_11-30-55_544.jpg

Thanks fellas

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: what type of wood for sundeck rebuild?

First, it's better to keep all your post in the same thread. 2nd, most of us use 3/4" ext. grade ply wood and give it 3 -4 coats of epoxy or marine grade varnish or at the very least Oil based paint. For this application I'd prolly go with the Varnish and thin the 1st coat with 50% Mineral spirits so it would really soak into the wood and then apply 2-3 more full strenght coats. Should last a decade. Arauco plywood from Lowes is some really good stuff.

acula28

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again for the tips and onfo

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Can you get to the backside of the fiberglass where them little screws are ? If so then through bolt it with the right size bolts ( #8 I think they are ).

YD.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

IMHO .. any and all external wood exposed to the elements should be MG ply.

Twice as much Yes .. but last more then twice as long with a few extra added benifits ;) .

YD.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i am of a different opinion than yacht doctor for this.

marine grade ply has three major benefits....its very dry and mostly will accept resin....it has waterproof glue in between the plys... and no voids in the ply.

since you are not going to fiberglass the wood...the dryness does not matter.
the benefit of waterproof glue can be found in exterior grade ply. and the third benefit of no voids is of little use to you in this situation. marine grade plywood is used mostly for hulls of wooden boats.

I use standard exterior grade plywood..(not OSB). for the sun pad.... either 5/8 ths or 3/4 depending on how the support system is designed for the cover.

if the wood is just supported around the edges, then a 3/4 inch will be better.

drill a few pidgeon holes in the wood, for any moisture caught in the foam to escape
you can protect the wood with paint if you like....then upholster as normal.

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i have just merged these two threads.... please keep all posts pertaining to the same project in the same thread.

as far as hinges go...

the old piano hinge is good.... however... manufacturers use a different style of piano hinge as the hinge it self needs better support.

the piano hinge they are using, is a straight one side.....and a L shape on the other.
this type of hinge is far easier to install than a standard piano hinge due to less binding during operation.

generally speaking .. these are aluminium hinges.... keep in mind that if you use an aluminium hinge, you cannot use pressure treated wood for the engine cover, as a galvanic reaction is created between the aluminium and the wood.

cheers
oops

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Keep the piano hinge for saftey reason's. If that deck were to fly open during transport and they do trust me you want as much anchor working for you as possible. Been there done that..As to wood marine grade if your not going to glass it and matt...Cheap stuff if your going to use both matt and glass. Do not forget to reinforce it with something or brace it up either way you go

acula28

Seaman Apprentice

Very useful info. Thanks so much everyone!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

the old piano hinge is good.... however... manufacturers use a different style of piano hinge as the hinge it self needs better support.

generally speaking .. these are aluminium hinges.... keep in mind that if you use an aluminium hinge, you cannot use pressure treated wood for the engine cover, as a galvanic reaction is created between the aluminium and the wood.

S.R. using Alum. piano hinges ? Not SS piano ?

He is also covering with epoxy right .. so the reaction would not be the same as SS fasteners to PT wood .. Im sure he is not using Alum screws :) ..

Through bolt the SS Piano hinge on the backside .. SS screws into your Seat ..

YD.

acula28

Seaman Apprentice

The original hinge is aluminum. And they used stainless screws into the transom and the back of the engine cover/sundeck.
How exactly do i get bolts into the transom to hold the hinge? Im going to make the new engine cover and new foam and vinyl first and rig a safe cheap way to hold it down for the time being. Then when i get the boat home and can get some real work done