Transom problems with Larson 186 SEI I/O Bowrider

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Transom problems with Larson 186 SEI I/O Bowrider

Hello Jim,
I have followed your amazing restoration, off and on since you began it back in August of last year...
I never got around to posting before this, but I just wanted to finally drop by and offer my heartfelt congratulations on a restore that you can be extremely proud of and will be able to enjoy making many memories for many seasons with your family.
You are an inspiration to all who want to undertake this daunting task of restoring a boat.
This is not the easiest thing in the world to do, but you have proven that with the right information, dogged determination, attention to detail and excellent workmanship, anyone can follow your example and restore a boat to better than factory new.
Grrrrrrr-8 Job!:thumb:
And most of all, thank you for taking the time to document and share.
Best Regards,
Gus

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Wow... Gus, thanks! I learned so much from the threads that documented others' restorations, that I wanted to contribute, too. And I have been enjoying the heck out of the boat this summer. It was easily worth all the hard work.

Thanks again!

javaman1966

Recruit

Great info just bought same boat my transom is good but my floor is soft right by rear seat
Question you went with 1/2 plywood for deck how much 3 sheets looking for marine plywood up here in sask difficult gonna have to pre order 3 sheets for deck sounds like enough thanks again
Sheldon

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Hi javaman1966, is yours a '97 also? What engine and outdrive does yours have? Just curious, because mine was repowered before I got it.

I think I had to purchase 3 sheets of plywood to piece together my deck. I had some left over, but there was no way to get everything cut out of two sheets. I would consider using 5/8" or even 3/4" plywood, especially if you are installing pedestal seats. Mine was built with half-inch, as I suspect yours was, but the pedestal seats really benefit from a stiffer deck under them. In my case, I glassed those heavy bases to the deck and bolted the pedestals to the bases, and they are stiffer than they were before the restoration.

Finally, if it were me, I would not spend the extra money on marine plywood. I'd just try to find a good quality exterior plywood. (E.g., Aurauco brand) that has A grade wood on one side (I think ACX is the designation). That marine stuff is PRICY!

Good luck and check very carefully around the ladder bolts thru your transom. I thought my transom was good, too, until I investigated behind the carpeted panels in the engine compartment. The ladder bolt holes were the source of my problems...

I hope you document your work in a thread here. I'd be very interested to see what you do. If you have questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask; I'll be happy to help if I can.

Jim

bvetter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great info just bought same boat my transom is good but my floor is soft right by rear seat
Question you went with 1/2 plywood for deck how much 3 sheets looking for marine plywood up here in sask difficult gonna have to pre order 3 sheets for deck sounds like enough thanks again
Sheldon

What part of sask are you from?

If you really want marine plywood, Windsor Plywood here in Saskatoon sells it, $130/sheet, I believe it's 3/4" but cannot remember. I ended up just using outdoor rated plywood form Home Depot ($30/sheet of 3/4", $26/sheet of 5/8"). The other option is MDO (medium density overlay), it's used for making road signs, concrete forms, etc.. I think it goes for about $80/sheet, Windsor has it as well.

A lot of people on the forum suggest Aurauco plywood, but I could not find it anywhere locally.

Hope that helps.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'd recommend using the exterior baltic birch (NOT the cabinet, interior only grade):
Hey Shawn, if that is the 15 ply Baltic Birch from Windsor Plywood, they assured me it was water proof glue and good for exterior use if sealed up properly.

Amazing stuff to work. I'm pretty sure Dozer had access to high lamination count 1/2" & 5/8" plywood as well (or at least the metric equivalants)

bvetter

Petty Officer 1st Class

What part of sask are you from?

If you really want marine plywood, Windsor Plywood here in Saskatoon sells it, $130/sheet, I believe it's 3/4" but cannot remember. I ended up just using outdoor rated plywood form Home Depot ($30/sheet of 3/4", $26/sheet of 5/8"). The other option is MDO (medium density overlay), it's used for making road signs, concrete forms, etc.. I think it goes for about $80/sheet, Windsor has it as well.

A lot of people on the forum suggest Aurauco plywood, but I could not find it anywhere locally.

Hope that helps.

Ok. So I was back at Home Depot yesterday, I'm walking down the lumber aisle, and there's a cart with this really nice plywood stacked on it. I take a closer look, and there's an Aurauco label on it!!! I'm totally blown away! I've walked up and down the aisles, searched on their website (Canadian version), and no luck! So what gives? Well, I ended up finding it on the shelf, it looks like they simply refer to it as fir plywood. I had seen it on the shelf before, but quickly dismissed it because I didn't see anything about it being exterior grade or waterproof, I totally missed the Aurauco label I guess.

So.....Home Depot in Saskatoon DOES in fact have the Aurauco plywood, in 5/8" and 3/4". Can't remember if 1/2" was there. The 3/4" was around $58/sheet I think.

I would have used it in my build, on the structural parts anyways, oh well. Doh!