What book should I buy

Hi there I'm I have some stringer repairs and some outside gel cote repairs to do what would be a good book to buy ?
I know there is loads of IMfo on here but don't want to keep asking silly questions ,also I think it would help with some of the terminology you use on here ,
I would like to buy a USA book but I would also like a book written by someone in the uk( no offence to you guys over the pond but you can use differen words for different materials etc, when looking at the forum this can sometimes confuse me )

So best USA book?
And best uk book?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: What book should I buy

Hi there I'm I have some stringer repairs and some outside gel cote repairs to do what would be a good book to buy ?
I know there is loads of IMfo on here but don't want to keep asking silly questions ,also I think it would help with some of the terminology you use on here ,
I would like to buy a USA book but I would also like a book written by someone in the uk( no offence to you guys over the pond but you can use differen words for different materials etc, when looking at the forum this can sometimes confuse me )

So best USA book?
And best uk book?

Thanks

Ayuh,... If ya spend a week or 3 readin' right here in this forum, you'll learn more than is in Any book....

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Ayuh,... If ya spend a week or 3 readin' right here in this forum, you'll learn more than is in Any book....

I agree!

People that ask and answer questions is the heart of this forum. It would be pretty dull and boring here if no one ever asked a question.

I don't think the lingo is that much different in American than it is in London talk;)... and you'll learn it through repetition by reading different restoration threads. There's also some good videos to watch that're spoken in fairly plain english without too much of a regional accent... good thing I haven't made one, you'd probably never understand my redneck Alabama southern drawl.:D

There are a couple of slang terms that're used here, one that comes to mind is peanut butter. this translates into english as a home made adhesive that has been concocted and refined by a few members here.

So go ahead and read the forum and ask questions, that's what it's here for. We've had a few Brits do their restos on here and they were able to muddle through our American speak and you probably will be able to as well.

When you do dig into your boat, take plenty of pics and start your own resto thread... lots of good folks willing to help here.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This is known as the Boat Restorer University. No better education in the craft than you will get here. NONE!!! Search and Read!!!