1988 Astroglass 178 bass boat Transom Help

jkc

Recruit
Ok guys, new on here so be gentle!! Iv'e got a 88 astroglass bass boat 178 . Noticed last night that the Jackplate has eating into the back of the transom and there is some flex in the middle and bottom of transom. This is still a very nice boat with a great running xr4. So looks like I need a new transom. Can anyone tell me if this boat has to be split and take the top off to repair or can the top of the transom be cut and old wood dug out and use that seacrest stuff??

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Astroglass 178 bass boat Transom Help

Welcome to iBoats!

Yes and No!! Yes Seacast, Nidabond, Arjay...any of the pour in Composites could be used to create a transom core for your boat. However, the main issue is...that is prolly NOT the only issue your boat has. When a transom deteriorates to the point of failure as yours has done, it generally means that the stringer substructure of the boat has also been compromised. This has serious consequences to the overall structural integrity and safety of the boat. Are you experiencing any softspots in the deck? Do you notice any sluggishness in acceleration? Does the boat seem heavier lately? Do you have any major gouges or "Dings" to the hull? Bilge Pump running excessively? You really need to do some investigations. A 24 year old Bass Boat can have some major rebuild issues. It's usually NOT just a quick and easy transom rebuild.

jkc

Recruit

Scared you were going to say something like that...Yes, there is a small soft spot stepping down from the front casting deck.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi and welcome jkc,

Woodonglass has you covered...old boats with soft transoms tend to end up looking like mine after some careful investigation...:redface::facepalm:

DSCF1305.jpg

Best of luck and know that whatever you end up finding, you are in the best place on the web, to get the information you need, to get it done right...

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class

12-P08-08-11_10.45.jpgLike to see your boat , mines a 1983 and I just replaced floor about four month ago got fine hole under one of my battiers

beardeddone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just purchased an 86 Astroglass with a 75 mercury on it a few weeks ago in fairly good shape except for the transom I am in process of replacing, all the rotten wood is already out and it's ready for some resin/fiberglass mix.. It seems as tho Home Depot has the resin and is alot cheaper then going the Seacast route and Lowe's has the blow-in fiberglass insulation, has anyone gone this route with their transom. I hope I'm in the right topic area here.

IMAG0152.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The Resin @ Home Depot is not the same as Seacast! You should read and study that topic here on the forum and you'll soon discover your misconception. This thread is over 4 months old and you would do better to open your own thread on your boat rebuild.

beardeddone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Resin @ Home Depot is not the same as Seacast! You should read and study that topic here on the forum and you'll soon discover your misconception. This thread is over 4 months old and you would do better to open your own thread on your boat rebuild.

Thanks, have started my own thread.