1995 Dynasty Elanti 171 interior reupholster job - Just call me Martha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtmetzger

Cadet
Last year I picked up this 1995 Dynasty Elanti 171 as my first boat. Since I was on a small budget, I really only had 2 requirements: solid floors and running well. Cosmetics weren't very important at the time. (I guess it wasn't for the previous owner either LOL) Anyway, I pulled it out of winter storage in April and figured I would try to tackle some of the cosmetics before the season gets into full swing.

I borrowed my Mom's sewing machine, learned how to use it for a couple hours and went to town ripping seams, cutting vinyl and sewing them up.

Here's some before - during - after pics

Seats.jpg

Seats1.jpg

Seats2.jpg

Seats3.jpg

Seats4.jpg

Seats5.jpg

mtmetzger

Cadet
Re: 1995 Dynasty Elanti 171 interior reupholster job - Just call me Martha!

Seats12.jpg

Seats13.jpg

Seats14.jpg

Seats15.jpg

Professional: :D
Seats16.jpg

mtmetzger

Cadet

Seats17.jpg

Seats18.jpg

Seats19.jpg

I think they turned out pretty good for a newb. After I finished both seats, I figured I would tackle some other
pieces so I started on the bow seating.

Seats20.jpg

Seats21.jpg

Surprise!
Seats22.jpg

mtmetzger

Cadet

Seats23.jpg

Seats24.jpg

Seats25.jpg

Seats26.jpg

Seats27.jpg

The back rests for the bow seating:
DSCF0177.jpg

mtmetzger

Cadet

DSCF0181.jpg

DSCF0182.jpg

DSCF0183.jpg

DSCF0184.jpg

DSCF0186.jpg

Installed:
DSCF0191.jpg

mtmetzger

Cadet

DSCF0190.jpg

Looks a little better than it used to: :D
Seats20.jpg

On to the back seat:
DSCF0193.jpg

DSCF0194.jpg

DSCF0206.jpg

mtmetzger

Cadet

DSCF0207.jpg

Installed:
DSCF0208.jpg

On to the back rest of the back seat:
DSCF0210.jpg

DSCF0209.jpg

DSCF0211.jpg

This is what I found when I took the covers off.
DSCF0212.jpg

mtmetzger

Cadet

DSCF0213.jpg

Decided that I would just remake the entire thing... New wood and foam. Here we go!
DSCF0215.jpg

DSCF0218.jpg

DSCF0219.jpg

This was the only panel on the boat that I didnt have a pattern for, so I had to come up with it myself.
DSCF0220.jpg

Here's the completed back seat. It's just kind of sitting there because I need to remove the side panels. I'll mount it right and that gap between the sides and seat will be gone.
Seats3-1.jpg

mtmetzger

Cadet

Next was the engine cover:
Seats31.jpg

Seats32.jpg

Seats33.jpg

Seats34.jpg

Installed:
Seats35.jpg

Here are a few pics from the lake Saturday before I put her to bed for the night:
photo.jpg

mtmetzger

Cadet

photo8.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

I pulled the side panels out last night. These should be easy to knock out this week and I'll finally be done!!!
Seats36.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhhmm, I'd say you could hang a shingle and make some extra bucks. Nice Job!!!

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

that sir is amazing!!!what kind of sewing machine does your mom have?

mtmetzger

Cadet

Uhhmm, I'd say you could hang a shingle and make some extra bucks. Nice Job!!!

Thank you sir! I just got through reading your "building and upholstering a bench seat" and I can say the same to you! I'm just a guy that's too cheap to pay someone to do something for me, so I've become a jack of many trades. I'm happy with how they have turned out, but this job is in the same category as laying floor tile for me. It may be my first and last time doing it! :D

that sir is amazing!!!what kind of sewing machine does your mom have?

Thanks! Here's the star of the show. A singer stylist 776. No telling how old it is, but I know my mom has had it since I can remember. It's old school, all metal and works like a champ!
81d7b402.jpg

mtmetzger

Cadet

I followed the thread in your link. Wow- NICE JOB!

Can I ask where you purchased the upholstery material and foam? Never thought that job could be done with a 'home' sewing machine- and I could probably get one for the asking.

I purchased marine vinyl from my local JoAnn Fabric store. They have a decent assortment of vinyl for about $17 / yard. I'd recommend to anyone who buys from them to check their website and get on their mailing list. Every time I had to buy more vinyl or anything else, I could find a coupon for 50% or 40% off a single item, and 10 yards of vinyl (in the same cut) counts as 1 item, so I got some of my vinyl for $8.50 / yd which is probably cheaper than anywhere online. The foam also came from JoAnn, but I reused all that I could from the original seats due to the cost. I was shocked when I learned how much that stuff is!

I'm not sure how a new cheap machine would work, because I have a feeling that this one was made in an era before people started saying "they don't make 'em like they used to!" But this vinyl is relatively easy to work with so you don't need a huge commercial machine either. Just get some samples from the store and put 3-4 layers together and see how your machine does The rest is pretty easy once you jump in.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I purchased marine vinyl from my local JoAnn Fabric store. They have a decent assortment of vinyl for about $17 / yard. I'd recommend to anyone who buys from them to check their website and get on their mailing list. Every time I had to buy more vinyl or anything else, I could find a coupon for 50% or 40% off a single item, and 10 yards of vinyl (in the same cut) counts as 1 item, so I got some of my vinyl for $8.50 / yd which is probably cheaper than anywhere online. The foam also came from JoAnn, but I reused all that I could from the original seats due to the cost. I was shocked when I learned how much that stuff is!

I'm not sure how a new cheap machine would work, because I have a feeling that this one was made in an era before people started saying "they don't make 'em like they used to!" But this vinyl is relatively easy to work with so you don't need a huge commercial machine either. Just get some samples from the store and put 3-4 layers together and see how your machine does The rest is pretty easy once you jump in.

Thanks for the advice! I figure I can beg, borrow or steal an 'oldish' machine from somewhere- seems like nobody sews anymore, but many have 'mom's old Singer' shoved into a closet somewhere.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm just a guy that's too cheap to pay someone to do something for me, so I've become a jack of many trades.

Yep, Exactly why I did mine. You're correct about the machine. I first bought a light weight PLASTIC Singer and she would not do the job. Finally bought a "Morse" All Metal Machine. Weighs about #75 lbs and she goes through 6 layers of 30 oz vinyl like hot butter. I got all my supplies from a great online ebay vendor called TrimJobber. Most of the vinyl was $7.95 a yard and good quality stuff. Shipping was cheap and fast. Great selection too. Thread needles he has it all. I'm doing the Bimini top next and then gunna try and do a custom cover for the boat. Wish me luck.

mtmetzger

Cadet

Thanks for the advice! I figure I can beg, borrow or steal an 'oldish' machine from somewhere- seems like nobody sews anymore, but many have 'mom's old Singer' shoved into a closet somewhere.

No problem! Keep us posted...

Yep, Exactly why I did mine. You're correct about the machine. I first bought a light weight PLASTIC Singer and she would not do the job. Finally bought a "Morse" All Metal Machine. Weighs about #75 lbs and she goes through 6 layers of 30 oz vinyl like hot butter. I got all my supplies from a great online ebay vendor called TrimJobber. Most of the vinyl was $7.95 a yard and good quality stuff. Shipping was cheap and fast. Great selection too. Thread needles he has it all. I'm doing the Bimini top next and then gunna try and do a custom cover for the boat. Wish me luck.

That is a very good price for vinyl. I'll have to check them out next time. I'm sure you will keep us updated on your bimini top and cover projects, and I'm looking forward to reading those! I'm searching for just a bimini frame right now because I think making the top should be fairly easy... and I may even have enough vinyl left over to make it with. Not sure if that's the best material to use or not but it's worth a try!

mtmetzger

Cadet

Finally got a minute to upload the completed pics of the side panels!
DSCF0235.jpg

DSCF0233.jpg

DSCF0234.jpg

DSCF0237.jpg

DSCF0238.jpg

DSCF0239.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.