Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1995 Dynasty Elanti 171 interior reupholster job - Just call me Martha!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1995 Dynasty Elanti 171 interior reupholster job - Just call me Martha!

Originally posted by mtmetzger View Post
    I purchased marine vinyl from my local JoAnn Fabric store. They have a decent assortment of vinyl for about $17 / yard. I'd recommend to anyone who buys from them to check their website and get on their mailing list. Every time I had to buy more vinyl or anything else, I could find a coupon for 50% or 40% off a single item, and 10 yards of vinyl (in the same cut) counts as 1 item, so I got some of my vinyl for $8.50 / yd which is probably cheaper than anywhere online. The foam also came from JoAnn, but I reused all that I could from the original seats due to the cost. I was shocked when I learned how much that stuff is!

I'm not sure how a new cheap machine would work, because I have a feeling that this one was made in an era before people started saying "they don't make 'em like they used to!" But this vinyl is relatively easy to work with so you don't need a huge commercial machine either. Just get some samples from the store and put 3-4 layers together and see how your machine does The rest is pretty easy once you jump in.
    Thanks for the advice! I figure I can beg, borrow or steal an 'oldish' machine from somewhere- seems like nobody sews anymore, but many have 'mom's old Singer' shoved into a closet somewhere.
    John and Linda
    Long Island, NY
    Escapade III
    1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
    Twin Merc Alpha 4.3 'Gen +'

Comment

I'm just a guy that's too cheap to pay someone to do something for me, so I've become a jack of many trades.
      Yep, Exactly why I did mine. You're correct about the machine. I first bought a light weight PLASTIC Singer and she would not do the job. Finally bought a "Morse" All Metal Machine. Weighs about #75 lbs and she goes through 6 layers of 30 oz vinyl like hot butter. I got all my supplies from a great online ebay vendor called TrimJobber. Most of the vinyl was $7.95 a yard and good quality stuff. Shipping was cheap and fast. Great selection too. Thread needles he has it all. I'm doing the Bimini top next and then gunna try and do a custom cover for the boat. Wish me luck.
      1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
      Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
      Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JoLin View Post
        Thanks for the advice! I figure I can beg, borrow or steal an 'oldish' machine from somewhere- seems like nobody sews anymore, but many have 'mom's old Singer' shoved into a closet somewhere.
        No problem! Keep us posted...

Originally posted by Woodonglass View Post
        Yep, Exactly why I did mine. You're correct about the machine. I first bought a light weight PLASTIC Singer and she would not do the job. Finally bought a "Morse" All Metal Machine. Weighs about #75 lbs and she goes through 6 layers of 30 oz vinyl like hot butter. I got all my supplies from a great online ebay vendor called TrimJobber. Most of the vinyl was $7.95 a yard and good quality stuff. Shipping was cheap and fast. Great selection too. Thread needles he has it all. I'm doing the Bimini top next and then gunna try and do a custom cover for the boat. Wish me luck.
        That is a very good price for vinyl. I'll have to check them out next time. I'm sure you will keep us updated on your bimini top and cover projects, and I'm looking forward to reading those! I'm searching for just a bimini frame right now because I think making the top should be fairly easy... and I may even have enough vinyl left over to make it with. Not sure if that's the best material to use or not but it's worth a try!

Comment

The vendor I referenced sells the Bimini material for 8.95 a yard and it only takes 3 yards. You are correct. Making one is a pretty straight forward process. Luckily I have the old one for a pattern.

http://stores.ebay.com/Trimjobber-Ca...nyl-and-Fabric
          1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
          Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
          Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!

Comment

Finally got a minute to upload the completed pics of the side panels!

Comment

Comment

Hello. I am making new seats for the same boat.
                Looks great, nice job. What kind of wood did you use and did you treat it in anyway? Also, do you have any patterns to share? thanks JB in Texas.

Comment

Nice work!
                  Most times I'm wrong, Most times I stand corrected..But...Sometimes I'm right.
                  1983 SportCraft Deep V OSFF 222 Cuddy Rehab
                  https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...ddy-walkaround
                  https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-new-fuel-pump
                  www.flotationfoamsolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman JB View Post
                    Hello. I am making new seats for the same boat.
                    Looks great, nice job. What kind of wood did you use and did you treat it in anyway? Also, do you have any patterns to share? thanks JB in Texas.
                    The OP left the building 5 years ago and has not returned. He will not log in to answer your questions. Please start a new thread. We have active members willing answer your upholstery questions.

Closed.
                    BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
                    Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                    That is what the forums are for.
                    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Working...
                    X