Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1995 Dynasty Elanti 171 interior reupholster job - Just call me Martha!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Dynasty Elanti 171 interior reupholster job - Just call me Martha!

Last year I picked up this 1995 Dynasty Elanti 171 as my first boat. Since I was on a small budget, I really only had 2 requirements: solid floors and running well. Cosmetics weren't very important at the time. (I guess it wasn't for the previous owner either LOL) Anyway, I pulled it out of winter storage in April and figured I would try to tackle some of the cosmetics before the season gets into full swing.

I borrowed my Mom's sewing machine, learned how to use it for a couple hours and went to town ripping seams, cutting vinyl and sewing them up.

Here's some before - during - after pics

Re: 1995 Dynasty Elanti 171 interior reupholster job - Just call me Martha!

Comment

Professional:

Comment

I think they turned out pretty good for a newb. After I finished both seats, I figured I would tackle some other
        pieces so I started on the bow seating.

Surprise!

Comment

The back rests for the bow seating:

Comment

Installed:

Comment

Looks a little better than it used to:

On to the back seat:

Comment

Installed:

On to the back rest of the back seat:

This is what I found when I took the covers off.

Comment

Decided that I would just remake the entire thing... New wood and foam. Here we go!

This was the only panel on the boat that I didnt have a pattern for, so I had to come up with it myself.

Here's the completed back seat. It's just kind of sitting there because I need to remove the side panels. I'll mount it right and that gap between the sides and seat will be gone.

Comment

Next was the engine cover:

Installed:

Here are a few pics from the lake Saturday before I put her to bed for the night:

Comment

I pulled the side panels out last night. These should be easy to knock out this week and I'll finally be done!!!

Comment

Uhhmm, I'd say you could hang a shingle and make some extra bucks. Nice Job!!!
                        1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
                        Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
                        Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!

Comment

that sir is amazing!!!what kind of sewing machine does your mom have?
                          My Current Toy: 2008 Jetcraft w/ 60HP Mercury EFI

My Current Project: 1986 Bayline Capri w/ 85HP Force

1974 Bayliner 1850 Discovery w/ AQ130D Engine & Penta 270 Outdrive - SCRAPPED
                          https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=519254

Comment

Originally posted by Woodonglass View Post
                            Uhhmm, I'd say you could hang a shingle and make some extra bucks. Nice Job!!!
                            Thank you sir! I just got through reading your "building and upholstering a bench seat" and I can say the same to you! I'm just a guy that's too cheap to pay someone to do something for me, so I've become a jack of many trades. I'm happy with how they have turned out, but this job is in the same category as laying floor tile for me. It may be my first and last time doing it!

Originally posted by 74bayliner View Post
                            that sir is amazing!!!what kind of sewing machine does your mom have?
                            Thanks! Here's the star of the show. A singer stylist 776. No telling how old it is, but I know my mom has had it since I can remember. It's old school, all metal and works like a champ!

Comment

Originally posted by JoLin View Post
                              I followed the thread in your link. Wow- NICE JOB!

Can I ask where you purchased the upholstery material and foam? Never thought that job could be done with a 'home' sewing machine- and I could probably get one for the asking.
                              I purchased marine vinyl from my local JoAnn Fabric store. They have a decent assortment of vinyl for about $17 / yard. I'd recommend to anyone who buys from them to check their website and get on their mailing list. Every time I had to buy more vinyl or anything else, I could find a coupon for 50% or 40% off a single item, and 10 yards of vinyl (in the same cut) counts as 1 item, so I got some of my vinyl for $8.50 / yd which is probably cheaper than anywhere online. The foam also came from JoAnn, but I reused all that I could from the original seats due to the cost. I was shocked when I learned how much that stuff is!

I'm not sure how a new cheap machine would work, because I have a feeling that this one was made in an era before people started saying "they don't make 'em like they used to!" But this vinyl is relatively easy to work with so you don't need a huge commercial machine either. Just get some samples from the store and put 3-4 layers together and see how your machine does The rest is pretty easy once you jump in.

Comment

Working...
                              X