Shades of Gray - Gel Coat That Is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Shades of Gray - Gel Coat That Is

Yes...I sell hundreds of drums of it per year.

Of white gel or white Tint ?

Tint is tint and gel is gel..

Or are you saying that I can put 20 1 oz jars of white tint into my white gel and it will not make any difference on the 318 ? It will not mess up the tint ratio of the gel ? just wondering because this is news to me.

So I can use just White pigment/tint for gelcoat repairs if I wanted to ? .. You know..mix up some white tint with some cabosil to skim coat or chips/dings ?..

I can mix .5 oz's of white gelcoat to Neutral or Clear and make a Qt of white with just .5 oz ( 1/2 oz of white pigment ) ?

Just wondering because this could save me some time and $..

YD.

PS. PM is sent.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You may be confused

White tint base is not white pigment, there is white tint base and neutral tint base, just like at the box store for house paint, you start with one of these and add pigments (white, blue, yellow, red, etc) if needed to get the color you desire.

As for adding twenty 1 oz jars of white pigment to your white gel coat...it may do nothing to make it whiter, but it may mess up the cure and other properties of the gel coat. This depends on what amount of gel coat you are adding it to though. It also depends on if the white tint base you use has a 10 to 12% loading of TiO2, if it does there may be room for more, but if its already at 20% then adding more will just mess it up.

White pigment paste cannot be used for repairs, it’s made with a resin that is designed to last for a very long time and not get hard, so it won’t cure.

I sell many drums of white tint base, it’s the base gel coat you buy from the well know small custom tinters many here frequently do business with.

I also sell pigments, but not by the drum and pail like I did a few years ago, I now sell custom mixed packets (several different pigments already blended together) to Composites One so they can add them to pails or drums of white or neutral tint base (which I sold them). This way they can instantly mix a pail of a custom color.
Instead of you having to order a pail of Fighting Lady Yellow or Flag Blue and waiting two to three weeks for it to be made and shipped, they can add the pigment packet to the pail, then mix it and ship it, possibly the same day if needed.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

White tint base is really no different than white gel coat and is commonly used as is.

Yes I was confused by this statement ...

I was thinking that your 'white tint base' statement was a tinting/pigment product and not just white gelcoat because you used them in the same sentence with each other.

Carry on.

YD.

Status
Not open for further replies.