1978 MFG Gypsy Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallcanadian

Captain
I was lucky enough to score this great boat, but as it usually happens, these old boats are not suppose to be used after the purchase. These boats need to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch. After much inspection and deliberation, I've decided yet again to boldly go where no man should have to go. I want to do this in 5 phases.

Phase 1: Initial tear down. Remove all vinyl, upholstery, deck, stringer, etc. Gut it out, in other words.

Phase 2: Replace all wood, stringers, deck, etc. Fiberglass it all.

Phase 3.: Reinstall all vinyl, upholstery etc. All renewed.

Phase 4: Repaint trailer. Replace shocks, springs adjust rollers.

Phase 5: Tear down powerhead on Mercury 650 and check for scoring, and other damage. Repair and rebuild.

This will take place over the next few months. Phase 1 has been started and all the upholstery is out and the removal of the old floor has started. It is rotted and the foam looks wet as well. When I get the rest of it out, I will see how far I have to go with this. The top half may have to come off. I have attached a couple of pics to get this started.

DSCF1512.jpg

DSCF1002.jpg

DSCF1007.jpg

DSCF1027.jpg

DSCF1034.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 MFG Gypsy Rebuild

Hey TC, all I can say is, This will be an opportunity for all the newb's here on the forum to see how an experienced boat restorer goes about his business. It's great to know you'll be back on the forum on a regular basis.
welcome-back.gif

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah sounds like a good project. I would like to follow along :)

It is a good looking tri-hull :)

tallcanadian

Captain

This will be an interesting build because it's 3 hours from my place. :p . So I won't be at it a lot but when I do it will have to be a lot at one time. lol. I have been back, just watching everyone else have the fun.

I was thinking of adding some storage area under the deck but I will see as I go along how much room I have, etc.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Newbe here requesting permission to tag along !
There's always something to learn ya know ..;)

Trooper82

Commander

I would like to tag along as well TC...

Looks like a good project...

tallcanadian

Captain

I appreciate all the comments. I'm under pressure now, I have to do good..lol.

tallcanadian

Captain

In the next few weeks I will be picking up some fiberglass supplies. I'll start with 5 gallons of polyester resin and a few yard of csm. This will be my first attempt with polyester. I'm used to using epoxy but it's just too darn expensive. I won't know about stringers until I get the rest of the crap out. I'm assuming they will be plywood. I'll need to get a few sheets of marine grade plywood as well. I'm very excited to get this started. It's a great boat and well worth the effort. For those who don't know, the boat is a '78, so is the Holsclaw trailer. The motor is a 1976 Mercury 650. I don't think the boat has had any other motor on it. There are no other motor marks on the transom. This may have been an original package. So on that frame of mind I'm going to keep it that way.:rolleyes:

photo1.jpg

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

As a fellow MFG'er I want to thank you for bringing another one back to life. Good luck on your project and I am going to tag along as well.

tallcanadian

Captain

As a fellow MFG'er I want to thank you for bringing another one back to life. Good luck on your project and I am going to tag along as well.

I've followed these boats for a few years now, I just never imagined that I would own one here in Canada. Seeing that they are American made. I guess every now and then one sneaks through the border, and I was lucky enough to get it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey TC, Check into Arauco Plywood. Not sure if you can get it in Canada but... Lowe's sells it in the states. 100% waterproof glue, and so far I've not purchased any that had any voids. 7 plys instead of 5. Really good stuff. $45 bucks a sheet Down here. Lot's cheaper than Marine Ply.

tallcanadian

Captain

Hey TC, Check into Arauco Plywood. Not sure if you can get it in Canada but... Lowe's sells it in the states. 100% waterproof glue, and so far I've not purchased any that had any voids. 7 plys instead of 5. Really good stuff. $45 bucks a sheet Down here. Lot's cheaper than Marine Ply.

I certainly will look into it, Wood. I'm open to all ideas. I also heard about some other stuff that a local boat builder use to use instead of wood on his decks. Not sure what it was but am looking into it. Maybe why he's no longer in business but again, I'm looking into all ideas. I know marine plywood here is about 70 bucks, the last time I checked it out.

You gotta love Canada. Free hospital care except for the months of waiting for ct scan or the countless hours of waiting in emergency to see the doctor. The high prices of gas, lumber, groceries...just about anything that sustains life.:facepalm:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Check with local Home Builders as well. Floor Underlayment is a good alternative as well. Usually few voids and also uses 100% waterproof glue.

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey TC,
Just subscribed to the thread so I'll be following along :)

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Subscribed and looking forward to following along. Cool mfg tri hull you scored there. Look forward to seeing your plans unfold.

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks fstorm, I hope I don't disappoint.

I do not see that happening TC... especially looking at your past work!

The biggest thing I have taken from working with poly is:

1. Start out with smaller batches. I find working in smaller (16oz-1qt) batches works best for me.
2. Try to be as exact as possible with the MEKP to resin ratio. Just a touch too much and ruin that batch in a hurry :facepalm:
3. Be very mindful of the temp and humidity
4. Also I found it helpful to have some smaller glass/PB jobs standing by to use up any extra resin/PB to minimize any waste.

I have learned a bunch so far but have a ton more to learn.

tallcanadian

Captain

Here is a picture of the plastic woodgrain trim. Over the years the sun and weather has made this warp. I'm thinking about replacing it using real wood. I'm looking for some input and ideas of what do use or do. Any help is appreciated.

DSCF1009.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I'm guessing some mahogany milled down to match would look good. BTW I like the vinyl skirting at the splash to cover the tanks. I may try and do that on mine if I have enough fabric left over from the seats.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

My thought fwiw would be to either get rid of it and just do solid vinyl or maybe a contrast color vinyl strip there. Or, you could use teak. I'm sure it will look good/classic whatever u decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.