Transom replacement 1972 16' sportcraft C-Gull

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Transom replacement 1972 16' sportcraft C-Gull

Glad I'm not the only one that had a hull that looked that bad, actually my looked worse. I have a 1970 16ft C-Gull. I used flap disc on mine and bought them at various stores none HF. I did some heavy sanding (like one hour straight X3) mine only lasted an hour of sanding and grinding. Worked out good my grinder needed cooling off and so did I.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bill. Yeah, it looked like they just layed the roving over the stringers and tossed a bucket of resin on it.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, that is what mine looked like, but I think on mine it was a left over bucket of resin. I'm still amazed I didn't go for a swim in my boat.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Electric your looking good,I got to make template for the transom and bow today.I will be watching your thread so I can pick up some pointers Jim

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Eagle, It has been slow going so far. It has been hard to find time to work on it. I plan to have all the grinding done an all wood cut and prepped so as soon as the weather warms in the spring I can start glassing it in.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, that is what mine looked like, but I think on mine it was a left over bucket of resin. I'm still amazed I didn't go for a swim in my boat.
Bill how long did it take you to grins off all the bad glass? How much did you pay for your flap disks because all the ones I see are around $8. I dont want to pay that much unless I know they are worth it. Thanks.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's about what I paid. I also used grinding and cut-off wheels. How long it took me to do it, good question. Considering this was my first time doing such project and was worried about doing more damage probably 15-20hours I only did on weekends when I had the time. If I had to do it again I could probably get it done in a day or two. I spent lots of time researching books, online and reading these forums. I think the flap disc are worth it, once you figure out what you are doing you can really get aggressive with it. Just remember your tools need a break too. I used dust off to blow my grinder out and would turn the can upside down to get it cooled down, then I cooled myself down with some beers.

If you can't do work because of the cold weather you can still do work, research and planning for the next time you touch the boat. I changed my ideas on my boat so many times it's not even funny. Hope this helps.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I HIGHLY recommend NOT using Flap discs but rather, using a 5" back up pad ($3.29) and 24 grit sanding discs($6.99 for 5) from Harbor freight. They will make Short work of the grinding and and old tennis shoe will un-clog them if they get filled with resin. Just grind the rubber bottom of the shoe to remove the resin from the disc. Works like a charm.
BackupPadandSanding36GritSandingDiscs.jpg

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks WOG I will give that a try.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!!!

WOG, I got the grinder set up you suggested. Hopefully will get some time on it this weekend, although it is supposed to be pretty cold so we'll see

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!!!

WOG, I got the grinder set up you suggested. Hopefully will get some time on it this weekend, although it is supposed to be pretty cold so we'll see

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I Know you're gunna love the Grinder setup. I will make short work of the glass grinding. Make sure to use the proper PPE and Soak your self with Baby Powder prior to suiting up.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I Know you're gunna love the Grinder setup. I will make short work of the glass grinding. Make sure to use the proper PPE and Soak your self with Baby Powder prior to suiting up.

Will do. I have the respirator, goggles, and tyvec suit already. I think I should be able to find some baby powder somewhere int he house. Thank you for all the advice so far. If not for you and others on this forum I probably would have never attempted this.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hope you have a Happy and Prosperous...

HappyNewYear.jpg

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I fiiiinally got a few hours to work on the boat. WOG that grinder set up worked great. The first two discs i tried lasted about 5 minutes each before they flew apart. It was 15 degrees out so I figured since they were made of resin they were brittle. I warmed the discs with my propane torch just before using them and it worked no more of them flew apary after that. I got about 1/3 of the grinding done using 5 discs. Not sure if I should be getting more life out of the discs or not. I did grind on my shoe to clean the disc which did give it a little more bite after.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got a couple of hours of grinding in today. I only have about a foot of the hull bottom left to do then the transom and 6 inches up the sides. The keel and the lift strakes are hard to get into with the grinder. what should I use to get into there and do I need to get all the penut butter out of the keel where the center stringer was beeded?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I f the keel and strakes are totally filled with PB then I would NOT worry about em. Fill any voids, if any, and call it good.

Doncha just LOVE Grinding.

What grit discs did you use?

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I f the keel and strakes are totally filled with PB then I would NOT worry about em. Fill any voids, if any, and call it good.

Doncha just LOVE Grinding.

What grit discs did you use?
The keel is full of PB but the strakes have some "fur". I used the 24 grit resin diascs you suggested. I have used 15 so far. Well actually 12 the first 3 broke apart because it was 17 degrees out. I had to warm them with a propane torch before usung them. Yesterday it was 35 so I did not have to warm them up.
On the hull sidesd it is painted with some kind of thick splatter paint, I think it is factory. I think that will load those discs up pretty fast. What should I use to grind that or do you think the resin discs will work?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

discs will work. Just use the tennis shoe more often and try to get to em before they clog up. I'd grind the strakes as best you can and then lay a layer of CSM and 1708 over them and call it good.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

About 50% done with the grinding. I want to place an order at us composites. Not sure how much csm and 1708 to order. Can any one help with estimation please.