Transom replacement 1972 16' sportcraft C-Gull

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transom replacement 1972 16' sportcraft C-Gull

Filetted the transom. Hopefully can tab it in tomorrow.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

electric, once you get the stringers in, things start moving pretty quick. I glassed my deck pieces before I put them in the boat. Once I got the foam in all I had to do was screw the deck in and fillet and tab which went pretty quick compared to the rest of the boat work.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

7th inning stretch!!!! Nice Transom Install!!! Those transom clamps make things a lot easier don't they!!!!

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

7th inning stretch!!!! Nice Transom Install!!! Those transom clamps make things a lot easier don't they!!!!

Yes they do WOG. I had all sorts of thoughts of how I was going to do mine until I saw your clamps, well worth the effort making them.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah WOG, those clamps worked out great idid a dry run as you suggested, clamped it all up. When I did it for real the clamps were already close just had to snug them up.
Thanks for the words of encouragement WOG and Bill. I was going to tab and glass it in but after reading WOG's post in another thread about glassing in the heat I will probably wait till Saturday.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, Glassin in the heat is NOT fun & or Easy. You can "Trick" the resin a bit by using an ice chest and putting it "on ice" to keep it cool but the substrate that you're glassing will still be hot so it's still gunna effect the resin and how it cures. And Wearing a respirator in the heat and trying NOT to sweat on the glass etc. is just not worth it unless you get up real early in the morning or do it late at night under the lights.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finished glassing the transom in. I am not totally satisfied with the way the glass turned out. I have a lot of small air bubbles in the 1708. I tabbed it with 1.5 oz Csm first and that came out good then I put one layer of 1708 across the whole transom and extended it 2 inches past the csm. I had some bubbles in that on the flat part but not in the corners where I would have expected them. That was Saturday morning. Today I put the second layer of 1708 on and extended that 2 inches past the first. This layer had more bubbles than the first. Perhaps I should have used a different roller or put on more resin or something I don't know why I have the bubbles. Although I am not happy with the way the glass turned out I know the transom is 1000 times better than factory and am happy to be moving on to the stringers next.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How did you apply the 1708?

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With the 3/8 nap 3" roller from us composites.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Did you roll on a thin layer of resin on the wood first and then lay the glass over it using a semi wet roller starting in the middle and always lifting and rolling out towards the edges? Did you use a bubble roller towards the end when it started to tack up?

Last edited:

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did wet out the wood first and started in the middle but I rolled back and forth I did not lift and roll. I also did not use a bubble roller. I will have to get one before I do the stringers.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the stringers i am going to use 2x4 material for the outer stringers and 2 pieces of 3/4 ply laminated together for the center stringer
The original stringers were 2x material the reason for sticking with that on the outer two is because they are only a couple inches high at the transom i figure ply wood be weak there. Do i use regular pine 2x4s or a different species? Or should i just use ply.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

electric, I didn't redo my outer stringers, I cheated I sanded down to glass not much resin mixed cabsol and some resin and just coated the glass until it couldn't soak up anymore they are strong. But it was strengthen in other ways. I did have to replace the back 20in of the outers for that I used plywood. For my main stringer, I left the old shell in place until I got to it. I took 1/2in plywood and set them in the old glass shell and made it wide enought to fit and shaped them using the shell as a template. I did most of my glassing out of the boat. I cut and ground the old shell out and laid my stringer in, it fit beautifully. Then finished the glass work.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I measured my center stringer and it is exactly 7 1/2" at it's tallest point and 12' long. So it looks like they just used a 2x8x12. I was thinking of going with that if I can find one straight enough. It lasted all this time like that and without proper glassing so I think it would be sufficient. Any opinions on this?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you use lumber I'd make it douglas fir and try and find a piece where the end grain was vertical when it was laying flat.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I decided to use plywood for my stringers. I was able to pull out the old stringers in one piece to use as a template. Should I cut out the new stringers to the exact size of the old ones or should I make them a little taller and cut them down to height after they are in the boat like Frisco jarrets did on his searay. When I pulled out the old stringer they were completely saturated and now they are totally dry so I wonder if they may have shrunk, this is why I am thinking about making the new ones a little taller and then cut tham down after installation. I left the lip of deck tabbing all around the boat to use for a deck height reference.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

You may do the stringers either way, your choice.

I'd mock them up in place a little too tall, then measure & mark them, remove them from the boat & cut them to size.

electric603

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The new center stringer next the old one. I hope to have all the stringers and bulk heads in by the end of next week. Do I have to put a coat of waxed resin on the transom and stringers before I put th deck on? And if I do should I scuff the transom before I put the waxed resin on because I glassed it almost a month ago?