1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

After that, 5200 all over the place (though I did manage to get some on my work pieces)...
P1090999.jpg

The 5200 is officially out of control at this point.

dozerII

Admiral

What EZ said, I sure hope you never have to take that pedestal out. What did you use for screws Jason? 1/4 stainless?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jas how about cables similar to pickup tail gate only a much smaller scale?

Well, I thought about that too, I've been keeping my eye on...

New Pair of Stainless Steel Lanyards Keepers with Tab | eBay

But you gave me a great idea! I could totally go...

78 88 Chevy El Camino GMC Caballero Tailgate Tail Gate Cables Pair Set | eBay

BOMBER!:first:

Nice pedestal seat!!!!!

Thanks fellas!

The 5200 is officially out of control at this point.

What are you talking about :noidea: I only ate a little bit:rolleyes:

What EZ said, I sure hope you never have to take that pedestal out.

Bah, that 5200 serves as a gasket basically. No water will ever come between that plate and deck. If it does need to come up it'll just peel the paint up with it. No sweat.

What did you use for screws Jason? 1/4 stainless?

You got it! Man you called that from way up there in kanuckland! Your vision is awesome Glen (for a man your age anyway :becky:)

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Assembled the seat, popped it in, took it for a test drive, love it!!
P1100004.jpg

:thumb:

Good work again. the lights set off the front pedastal... Did you turn that on just for the picture? Come on man... Friggin showoff.. :yo:

64osby

Admiral

On the seat, a rubber block or stop will support the lower part of the back. This over time will cause the back to act as a fulcrum, putting stress on your hinge.

Cables or straps mounted at or near the upper corners will prevent the fulcrum effect, but might need a plate to distribute the force from a single attachment point. The other potential issue might be that the back will bow if a big guy sits in the middle and pushes back.

Maybe attach an alum angle or c channel over the top edge. It will give the back support to prevent bowing, provide a mounting point for cables or straps. It would also provide a protective edge over time to the top or leading edge. My .03.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Good work again. the lights set off the front pedastal... Did you turn that on just for the picture? Come on man... Friggin showoff..

HA!! Yah baby!!! I love those lights!!!!:humble::humble:

On the seat, a rubber block or stop will support the lower part of the back. This over time will cause the back to act as a fulcrum, putting stress on your hinge.

Cables or straps mounted at or near the upper corners will prevent the fulcrum effect, but might need a plate to distribute the force from a single attachment point. The other potential issue might be that the back will bow if a big guy sits in the middle and pushes back.

Maybe attach an alum angle or c channel over the top edge. It will give the back support to prevent bowing, provide a mounting point for cables or straps. It would also provide a protective edge over time to the top or leading edge. My .03.

Yah man, I've brewed through all that yur sayen there 64 ^^^.

Here's what's working for me - I have a full 1" of plywood (1/2" deck and 1/2" for the back rest) so it's really strong/stiff. Plus the piano hinge runs nearly the full length of the back rest. So, overall, even the chunkiest of monkeys shouldn't give that part of the setup any trouble. Now, it is important what I use as stoppers so the pressure is spread out some. I sure don't want some wimpy screws pulling out or something like that. We'll see how this part shakes out.....

Thanks for swinging through fellas!:joyous:

I'll need to see about the stern pedestal install today, since I have a little extra special time in my schedule:snowman::snowman::thumb:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Allrighty, stern pedestal seat installed!
P1100013.jpg

Feels like a great fit back there - perfect spot to reach the trolling motor and legs fit real comfortable on each side:thumb:

I eBayed a bargin on this new, much taller anchor light the other day - way better than the other I had...
P1100012.jpg

Guys, have an excellent weekend:rockon:

(I'm off to go wax my sled :whoo::whoo:)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

As always, TOP NOTCH!...looks like it has always been there...
Now, wax on, wax off...Jason-son:D

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looking good, although I know nothing about fishing those seats look ready to catch something!! Have fun sleighing today, my parents used to take me and my bros to a golf course that had big hills. That was way fun some how nobody got hurt. Never could get away with that today? Thankfully today's storm is brining rain here in central jersey. Have a great weekend.

mike

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

GT, 300 - Thanks for stopping guys! Really glad to have that pedestal job in the books!

Allrighty, so how about an update on the snap in carpet.

I have seen the cash that can be thrown into this kind of job and I was/am intent on figuring out a way to do this reasonably.

So, I grabbed a roll of outdoor carpet from Lowes. I got enough to finish both the Sea Nymph and the Islander...
P1090970.jpg

Cheap! I'll probably have about 35 - 40 bux into material here for the SN. I was going to go with "Marine Grade Carpet" but honestly, I really couldn't detect a marked difference that super expensive stuff and this. Here's a sample of the "MG" vs. the stuff from Lowes...
P1090972.jpg

P1090973.jpg

Here's the stern deck piece rough cut and getting the hatches marked off...
P1090980.jpg

Everything trimmed up...
P1100016.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Then on to the cockpit area...
P1100015.jpg

P1100014.jpg

Tools for this job were pretty simple - straightedges, Sharpie markers, utility knife and heavy duty scissors.

All I basically did was trim fit the piece and lay it down. Then I just ran a smaller Sharpie in the seam of all the hatches marking the cut. One problem was the inside edge of the hatch cut needed to be bigger so the hatch could clear. So, I went back and traced the mark with the Magnum...
P1100017.jpg

I love that monster fat marker!

So they look like this...
P1100031.jpg

And all cut out...
P1100032.jpg

OK, all ready to drop off at the Tent/Awning Shop for binding tomorrow:thumb:

Have an excellent Sunday gents!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Seats ,carpet ,and everything looking great ! I am amazed at how much you get accomplished in a short amount of time .. :hail:
Have a great time sledding ! Never really been in any snow sounds like fun ..:)

jbcurt00

Staff member

After binding are you installing the snaps or are they getting installed in the carpet while their binding it?

Great looking trim'n & fit'n!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Seats ,carpet ,and everything looking great ! I am amazed at how much you get accomplished in a short amount of time .. :hail:
Have a great time sledding ! Never really been in any snow sounds like fun ..:)

Hey thanks phelps!

Oh man, I know it's only two posts but that carpet work probably took me like 4 early morn work sessions. I feel like I'm going so slow:facepalm:

Sledding was awesome! My boys are getting just old enough now (4 and 6) and I am starting to see some hardcore tendencies out of em, love it! :rockon:

After binding are you installing the snaps or are they getting installed in the carpet while their binding it?

Great looking trim'n & fit'n!

Yah, they will run the binding for me. When I get all the pieces back I'll punch the snaps, eh.

Cheers man:joyous:

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

Awesome write up on the carpet Jas! :D And also awesome work as usual!

I had the same thought about the outdoor vs marine when I was at menards. I think it's a lot cheaper and better than the carpet at Lowes and Home Depot around me. The only hard part was figuring out the binding! How much are you looking at for that if you don't mind me asking? I really want to do this for my boat :)!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Is that open loop carpet or closed loop???

I hope it's open loop,.....

If ya throw a crankbait at it and it sticks it's closed loop,.................:laugh:

It does look really nice btw,.............

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Awesome write up on the carpet Jas! :D And also awesome work as usual!

I had the same thought about the outdoor vs marine when I was at menards. I think it's a lot cheaper and better than the carpet at Lowes and Home Depot around me. The only hard part was figuring out the binding! How much are you looking at for that if you don't mind me asking? I really want to do this for my boat :)!

Thanks man! Yah, he gave me a ballpark of 50 bux, cheap. I'm thinking (hoping) that I can run this carpet job for about 100 bux, total. That's bottom feeded my friend:thimb:

Is that open loop carpet or closed loop???

I hope it's open loop,.....

If ya throw a crankbait at it and it sticks it's closed loop,.................:laugh:

It does look really nice btw,.............

Bah, I'm sure my kiddos won't totally embed hooks into my nice new carpet. Naaaahhhhh....

Actually:facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thanks man! Yah, he gave me a ballpark of $50

Bah, I'm sure my kiddos won't totally embed hooks into my nice new carpet. Naaaahhhhh....

Actually:facepalm:
$100 for snap in carpet is GREAT! Hope it last & works as good as it looks!

Better to hook the carpet then each other or you....

Status
Not open for further replies.