Pin stripes and graphics durability under the waterline

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 3 boats that are almost ready to get new stripes/pin stripes.

Has anyone had good luck with a particular brand or material, especially below the waterline? Typically I use a high UV resistant vinyl, but most of those graphics were above the water line. I had a set of stripes that sat just below the waterline come off in a few weeks of use. They were made locally by a vinyl shop and were supposed to have a marine grade adhesive. I prepped the gel coat as they indicated, removed wax, debris, grease etc then wiped it several times with acetone.

This is the first time I've had a stripe come off. It hurt a little.

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Pin stripes and graphics durability under the waterline

I wish I knew YD. The vinyl shop is a middleman distributer. I needed something 1.75" so they custom cut them for me from a bigger piece. I would guess it wouldn't be a dextrine based adhesive, but something resin cement based. I am trying to find out what adhesive was used on oem pin stripes, that way I could make sure what I used next had that same type.. I only had one place try to find an answer so far.. Most of the stuff is made overseas so it's hard to get info.

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While you're here,

Have you ever done stripes with gel coat? I was wondering how clean the edge is. When join two colors, I usually pin stripe the seam..

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

why put stripes under the waterline in the first place? that's where the bottom paint goes.

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wish someone told that to the boat manufacturer several years ago!! :D The two different colors meet below the water line. It's the oem gel coat so it's not a perfect line.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

While you're here,

Have you ever done stripes with gel coat? I was wondering how clean the edge is. When join two colors, I usually pin stripe the seam..

Yes..yes I have :) ..

I inlay all multicolored gel stripes ( color to color line is flush ). The tape line to the main gel surface is raised..no way to get around that unless you want to gel 6" above your boot stripes.

You get a better 'rolled' hardline edge if you pull the tape while the gel is curing..kinda like a 'soft' 'hardline' edge ;) .

What I normally do with Stripe kits that go below the waterline is to take some 'fineline' tape and strike a line on the vinyl above the waterline. .. then cut it with a razor. Remove the tape from the bottom half of the cut so no tape is in the water.

This leaves 'spear' edges on the tape that follows the waterline to the stern.

YD.

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I gotcha. I'll do the tape process on the scarab. I talked my brother into letting me do garnet red gel coat stripes on his Tierra. They kind of curl down around in a scrolling fashion just below the water line. I'm glad he agreed with me because I would rather pull my lines with fineline and masking tape instead of risking another graphics stripe. I stretched the other one out soaping it in by accident.. He was kinda p.o.d hehehe.

My wellcraft is a mystery yet. I don't have any idea where the water line is. Maybe I'll wait til it can float again before I monkey with the lines.

Thanks YD.

Hey, do you guys have any trade secrets of getting the gel coat color pretty close or do you trial and error? I have been measuring my pigments and gel with a very small graduated syringe just incase I get one really close. I know it's damn near impossible to get it perfect. My little brother was an ace at it but he can't help me on this one..