Paint Recommendations for Aluminum?

Mygreenihc

Seaman Apprentice
Good morning guys,

I took my jack plate off and blasted all the corrosion and old paint off of it yesterday. I need to repaint it and I am wondering what would be a good product to repaint it with. It is solid aluminum and has a blasted finish now. Any recommendations as to a good product/method for repainting this?

Thanks,
Brad

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Paint Recommendations for Aluminum?

The Paint YOur Boat link at the bottom of my signature has some good info for you.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would strongly recommend that you invest in zinc chromate primer. I have tried other primers and found that aluminum surfaces I have painted has lasted the longest and had the best adhesion using ZC. I have only used it on about a dozen aluminum boats so I really only have a small amount of direct experience.

If you get the ZC primer ......a light dusting coat is all that is needed. Since you are only painting the jackplate one spray can will be more than enough.

Mygreenihc

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for the comments.

Woody, I used the link posted above to look at your write-up. I think you pretty much summed it all up in that write-up. I wasthinking of the Valspar implement paint before reading that as I have had really good luck with it on other projects. It was the prep and primer information that I am most interested in. I have a sprayer for my compressor that I ave never used. Looks like it will be used this weekend. I appreciate all the work that you put into this site.

zinc Chromate huh? I guess the zinc in it will help keep down the corosion? Corrosion is why I am having to repaint it now. i will look into this. Thanks for the tip.

Brad

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Solid alum eh ..

Alumiprep,alodine..ZC ..primer.. topcoat ..

That is how I would do it. .. Best 2 part poly thane you can get your hands on ( or wallet ) :) ..

There is a How to up there in the Stickies ;) ..

YD.