Clear Gel Over Vinyl Graphics ????????

opmope

Seaman Apprentice
Hello. Wanting to Clear Coat Gel Coat over my Metallic Boat. I have two colors and I`M wanting to seperate with vinyl graphics. Will this work or will the graphics lift, shrink under gel coat.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Clear Gel Over Vinyl Graphics ????????

Ayuh,..... Generally speakin',.... Graphic tape goes on Top....

opmope

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,..... Generally speakin',.... Graphic tape goes on Top....[/QUOT

I realize that. Thats not what I'm asking. Can it be clear gel coated OVER TOP OF THE VINYL?????

Bondo

Staff member

[B said:
Bond-o[/B];3688530]Ayuh,..... Generally speakin',.... Graphic tape goes on Top....

I realize that. Thats not what I'm asking. Can it be clear gel coated OVER TOP OF THE VINYL?????

Ayuh,.... I moved this to the dry-dock, to let the Pro's give ya an answer...

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not an expert on gelcoating but I wouldn't think it would stick. I've seen videos of gelcoat repairs where they put plastic/suran wrap over the gelcoated area to smooth it out as it dried and the plastic never stuck to the gelcoat, seems that would be the same with slick vinyl too. I understand why you're asking. You'd like to have the results like a Bass boat with it's metal flaked stripes, so the vinyl is protected since the cost of a wrap is $$$$. Not sure it would work but I'm not a Pro, hopefully someone that's a Pro will pipe in.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Ayuh,..... Generally speakin',.... Graphic tape goes on Top....

I realize that. Thats not what I'm asking. Can it be clear gel coated OVER TOP OF THE VINYL?????[/QUOTE]

I'm not an expert on gelcoating but I wouldn't think it would stick. Hopefully someone that's a Pro will pipe in.

Its a loaded question ..

Sure.. you can spray Clear Gel over anything.

Is the Substrate solid ? ( is your vinyl without air voids ).

You can properly prep your vinyl for gel spray ..yes..

How long will it last ? .. that is something Nobody can say unless that 'somebody' applied the graphics.. even then its hard to say given the nature of size and location of graphics.

I would probably say that unless you know how to spray Clear Gel..your clear is going to fail before your graphics.

It would probably take you more time to prep around your graphic to make sure your gel does not pop then it would be to just remove and reapply..

You would almost need to tape off the graphics and build up a few layers of clear before you start to do a full spray over the graphics. .. the edges could lift at any given point..leaving bad cut edges on your lifting graphics.

Funny thing about them solvents and stickers :D ..

YD.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There are types of printed graphics that work well when used under gel coat, but I wouldn't do it with normal vinyl stickers.