1988 Sea Ray Seville. First project boat. NEW PICTURES

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 Sea Ray Seville. First project boat. PICTURES

Im trying to get a material list together to start shopping around a little. Where would someone recommend getting the materials to do this? I have been to the us composites site but I got lost. I was looking for 1708, which i'm sure they, but I didn't see anything labeled that. I need a place that is idiot proof... because im currently at idiot status with all this...

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well done Bumper, that hull sure looks clean now. I'm still behind you on mine. I started to do some sawing out of remaining wood and reduce some of the FB glass seams with saw to cut down on grinding but got rained of. Temps are creeping up, was 84 this morning and now rain! Ugh. Hope to get the last of the sawing and start on the grinding and sanding.
My next stage will be to source plywood and poly resins and all the FB glass stuff. We have US Composites here in FL, but as I said on another thread, the only problem with buying poly resin from an online supplier is that it is a hazardous material and they limit to 5 gallons what UPS will deliver at one time, plus they hit you with a hazardous fee of I've seen between $30.00 and $50.00 quoted. I think West Marine carry all the resins and mats, so I may well price them out with them and see how they compare with online suppliers. I can drive up to the local West Marine and put the stuff I need in the back of the truck and the hazardous fee stays in my wallet!

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't know west marine carried fiberglass stuff. I'll have to look into that. Something tells me they want a lot for it.. maybe worth it if theres no shipping involved though.

rickryder

Commander

Hi Bumper just came apon your resto. Your making good progress on the gut out. I see you have it on a bunk trailer.....did you block up along the outer chine to support the hull from spreading?

On your supplies...US Composites is the place I went to....good guys there...

435 Standard Polyester Layup Resin
http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

DBM 1708 Biaxial
http://www.uscomposites.com/specialty.html

1-1/2oz Chopped Strand Mat
http://www.uscomposites.com/mat.html

Hope the links help you out ;)

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, YES thank you I was going through hell.

And um.. no.. I hadn't read anything about blocking it. I'm leaving 90% of the cap on so i didn't think it would spread. I will search the forums for this after i hit post.

A quick google search of chine is tells me it's the sharpest outer edge, I interperate (sp?) that as where the side meets the bottom. If thats the case, the deck of the floor didn't even go that wide to hold it in, (I think it does on most) so should i really be concerned?

Also, 18' foot, only 2 stringers, needs to rebuild all the wood. Do i need to buy a whole roll of 1708 and CSM? Will i use that much? I'm planning on 10 gallons of resin.. sufficient?

rickryder

Commander

I did a full on cap resto.....My windshield now has a gap 3/4" ......life lesson.....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That's not my boat, so I don't have pics of the finished product. If you have not already you shold be taking a LOT of measurements of the boat especially at the deck line, to ensure you can glass in the deck with the exact specs as the old one. If you don't want to cut then you will have to decapitate her. Try and be careful with the rub rail and keep her in tact. They are expensive to replace.

rickryder

Commander

Hi, YES thank you I was going through hell.

And um.. no.. I hadn't read anything about blocking it. I'm leaving 90% of the cap on so i didn't think it would spread. I will search the forums for this after i hit post.

A quick google search of chine is tells me it's the sharpest outer edge, I interperate (sp?) that as where the side meets the bottom. If thats the case, the deck of the floor didn't even go that wide to hold it in, (I think it does on most) so should i really be concerned?

Also, 18' foot, only 2 stringers, needs to rebuild all the wood. Do i need to buy a whole roll of 1708 and CSM? Will i use that much? I'm planning on 10 gallons of resin.. sufficient?

well you'll have to have fun with math....stringer length and height x 2 ....2 layers of csm from top of stringer to 4" onto hull then 6" to hull....Then biax top of stringer to 6" on hull then 8" on hull...

csm 1 layer bottom of deck/sole... top of deck 2 layers csm..... 1 biax..... plus bulkheads....transom etc.

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's not my boat, so I don't have pics of the finished product. If you have not already you shold be taking a LOT of measurements of the boat especially at the deck line, to ensure you can glass in the deck with the exact specs as the old one. If you don't want to cut then you will have to decapitate her. Try and be careful with the rub rail and keep her in tact. They are expensive to replace.

I don't mind cutting it. I guess i was looking for a little guidance on glassing it back together, but i know its possible so I'll worry about that later.

I've been taking a lot of pictures and have a good idea how things will go back. And some measuring.

The rub rail isn't in good shape and i was considering replacing it anyways, know where I can get the materials to do so?

I think I am going to take it off the trailer when I move it to its summer home, so I'm going to have to research the best way to do that.

Here's some pictures from todays progress

IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0253.jpg

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice job! Looks like you've put in a ton of hours getting all the rot out. Now, that the grinding in done (definitely, the worst part to all this), you'll start to see it all come together.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I don't mind cutting it. I guess i was looking for a little guidance on glassing it back together, but i know its possible so I'll worry about that later.

That's actually not to bad. With patience and Sanding and filling and fairing you should be able to get it back to where it won't be noticable. You can always remove the entire cap if you so desire.

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So Im entertaining the idea of pulling the cap rather than cutting it. If i can keep the hull from distorting, I think it's the better way to go. Here are some pictures of the trailer set up. I've been reading a lot and it seems a bunk trailer is better than roller for resto-on-trailer. The bunks actually stick out past the transom and go over half way to the bow, and the bow is now supported well by the trailer as well (it wasn't before).

On a side note, clearly the trailer has seen better days and i cannot decide if its worth grinding down some and painting, seems almost as much work as the boat..

IMAG0257.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0255.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

rickryder

Commander

The trailer will be much easier than the boat for sure :D

I would just brace up along the outer chines to hold the hull....

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm by no means a pro wakeboarder, but once this boat is up and going I plan on using it frequently for wakeboarding. In the very rear of the boat under the built in platform, there are these large boxes, which i assume are filled with foam, that I am thinking about trying to make into some sort of ballast for bigger wake. Has anyone retro'd a ballast system into a boat?

Also, It looks like I might just go with a different outboard rather than trying to fix the 135. 135's are much less common then 150's or 200's, I'd like to slap a 200 on it because I love **** eating grins, but the plate on the boat says 145 max. What dictates this rating? I'm redoing the transom, so couldn't I over build it to accomidate a heavier motor?

fatsacks.png

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Couple of things about overpowering your boat. When it was designed and built, HP was factored into the eqution. Adding more will mess up the equation and could significantly effect the handling of the boat. Not only the HP but the additional weight of a larger motor.
Second an probably most important is Liability. If the boat is overpowered beyond MFG specs. You won't be able to collect a cent. Even if the other person is clearly at fault. Their insurance company will say you should have not been there at all with that boat and therefore if you had not been there it could and would not have happened. Case closed. Do not Pass Go do NOT collect $100.

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, I'll just go with a 150. If i can find a 135 ill go that route but its looking like 150's a far more common.

I'm trying to do as much of this resto myself as possible. I've spent the last few hours researching re-upholstering. The hard curved pieces I may have professionally done, but the flat ones seem really not that difficult. This thread gives me confidence: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=347724 . It doesn't show though, the bead that goes around a lot of my interior, like so:

IMAG0226-1.jpg

I'll keep looking but I have yet to find what it is exactly, or what its purpose is, that alone how to do it.

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bumper,
That bead you describe is a vinyl piping that you can buy online. It is sewn onto the vinyl to form the edge when the vinyl is turned onto the back of the backing material. I do believe that I read a thread on here where someone bought an old sewing machine and made their own cushions and they put in that piping. Another option is simply do your own thing and leave it off if you want. Some of my vinyl pads are looking worse for wear as well. The worst is the big sunpad on the back. The ply backing is bad and and one side the vinyl has worn away from being walked on. I had been tossing the idea about of making the pad in 2 or 3 hingeable sections. I tend to look at more modern boats these days to see how they handle upholstery and if there are ideas I can pinch. On the Sea Ray, the bow side/back cushions, certainly on mine are one piece and not only curved, but deeper foam in the corner. While nice to look at, they could be a nightmare to recover and so I think I will move to 2 separate cushions, one on the side and one on the back rest. I have also been scratching my head on alternative ways to build up backing material for these cushions as well as other means of attaching them to the boat. Sea Ray back then used SS nuts and bolts that are like 3 to 4" long. They then screw it all up by using regular steel washers which then go and rust. Duh!! I know Friscoboater talked about heavy duty velcro for his carpet and I recently sold a helm seat that came with my boat and the cushion was attached with HD velcro. Seems a bit easier than long nuts and bolts. As for the backing materials, the curved bow upholstered side panels on the bow and the upholstered dash pads that curve around the dash front and walkway are rotten in places. I've been thinking about pvc material that I use for outdoor signs or something like that rather than thin plywood. It's flexible, won't rot and flexes which ever way you want it to. That said I will only fix up what's really gone and will run with those panels that are still sorta serviceable. That can be project 2 for next year. Meanwhile, grinding & sanding beckons.

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, accomplished a lot today.

Got boat moved to new location, got outboard off, and got 90% of the cap seperated.

Little good news, the wood that we could see of the transom appeared to be dry and in decent condition, but we will see.

So onto pictures and questions.

Home for the summer:
SAM_2868.jpg

SAM_2870.jpg

SAM_2871.jpg

Question: Outboard
This thing (im told) has low compression in the top two cylinders, and does't pee, so I assume the water pump is shot. I pulled the cover and I see rusty bolts all over and bare copper showing on some of the wires. Here are the pictures, but I am pretty much to the point of just trying to find a new motor.
SAM_2874.jpg

SAM_2873.jpg

SAM_2872.jpg