1988 Sea Ray Seville. First project boat. NEW PICTURES

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 Sea Ray Seville. First project boat. PICTURES

SAM_2876.jpg

Question: Cap
So we got the cap split from the hull all the way around, except the transom. I pried (lightly-ish) on overything I could, ran a putty knife every where i could to break the silicone, all to no avail. I believe the splash well drain is holding it together, along with a bunch of glue on the inside. Is there a good way to get the drain out? Here are pictures, I'm heading back out there tomorrow to hopefully get the cap off so i can finish some grinding and get to the transom.
SAM_2879.jpg

SAM_2880.jpg

SAM_2881.jpg

SAM_2882.jpg

SAM_2883.jpg

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SAM_2884.jpg

SAM_2885.jpg

SAM_2886.jpg

SAM_2888.jpg

^^^ This pic is all the glue inside. The two bolt hols are the BOTTOM motor mount holes. The fiberglass on top is the bottom of the splash well.

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the motor worth much as is?

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I came down with something over night so i don't know if I'm going to be able to work on it today. I just took a bunch of sick drugs so we'll see

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay. Cap is off and transom is out. Getting down to the nitty gritty before starting to build it back up.

The transom wood is only in the center, I was disappointed by this. Really though, the back has an odd curve to it and would be very, very hard make the whole rear wood. I meant to try and get a picture of the curve but i forgot.

Decided to cut the splash well some, didn't see a way around it.
IMAG0259.jpg

Rotten...
IMAG0266.jpg

IMAG0267.jpg

Little disappointed with all the dry fibers...
IMAG0281.jpg

Pulled the cap with just me and the wifey.. but moving it took 5 of us.
IMAG0261.jpg

IMAG0285.jpg

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Other pictures from the day

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like i won't be doing the final grinding til next weekend. REALLY looking forward to it being done.

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd really like to build the transom accross the entire rear, but can't find a decent method to do it. I'll keep looking but its seems it aint gonna happen

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Beautiful day here in Washington.. so I took our operational boat out and took a picture.

IMAG0288.jpg

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

how dare you take advantage of such a nice day while i was stuck at boeing working :(((
Nice man. hey if u ever need help lifting or the cap getting put back on u should give me a call ill pop in. pm me and ill give u my number... we are closing on a house on the 27th this month so im syked (as long as the appraisal went ok.. havent heard nothing yet the appraisal was last saturday) so once we get that house my project grows legs again and starts runnin! but yeah man i cant wait to see how well yours turns out...
also as far as your trailer goes... it all depends on when i get the house situated because i will be setting up my 60 gal compressor and a sand blasting thing and im going to see how my trailer works getting blasted :) like i said pm me and i will keep you in the loop

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mounted a new to me kicker bracket on the seaswirl, works well. Need to get galvanized strut but this will work for now.
IMAG0291.jpg

3hp kicker still moves the boat too fast. Gonna hack the prop a little to slow it down.

Bumperlt12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, I landed a big job at work, so I should be able to finish the boat before Seafair.. I hope. My mind is wrapped around the windshield this morning. The one on there isn't in good shape and the small poles that mount to the consoles are broken. Ideally, I just want to get a new windshield. This isn't the rarest boat, never the less, I can find anyone parting one out. I wouldn't be against buying a new windshield though so if anyone knows of a used unit or a place to get a new one, please let me know.

orangeman

Seaman Apprentice

Bumpert i'm another one working on the same boat. I think my transom is OK and haven't pulled the cap. Was curious how exactly is the transom constructed. You are replacing wood in the center section. Are the areas right and left of that plywood core also and if so is the wood rotted. Also am I correct that the area at the bottom of the transom with the drain plug is solid fiberglass? One last question for everyone working on these boats. Do you plan on putting foam under the false floor under the gas tank and ski locker? Great to find so many others working on these boats.

The motor is a mariner rebranded for Sea Ray it is a solid motor and my 89 fresh water motor runs like a champ and has been relatively maintenance free. Yours appears to be showing it's age. Unfortunately used outboards can be expensive you might want to take the powerhead off and swap it for a re-manufactured one.

This is a great little boat for skiing but I think you may be disappointing with it for wake boarding. It throws a small flat wake. Some weight might help but I wouldn't count on it.