Closed ended rivets on aluminum starcraft?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey guys, '86 Starcraft FM 160 here. Was wondering, I have a few leaky rivets that I need to replace. Does anyone know what size closed ended blind rivets that I need to use? I have seen 3/16"shaft with a 1/2" outer flange and one with a 1/8" shaft. Would either size work? I would drill one out and measure the size, but I wont start drilling til I know I can find a big enough rivet to do this. I do not want to Rebuck the rivets cause Im leaving my floor alone. Thanks!

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Closed ended rivets on aluminum starcraft?

what is a rivet ?

do you mean the more politically correct REEVIT?

it was discussed at the restoration forum poster general meeting of dec 2011 that the word rivet was to change to reevit.

this rule was adapted by the starmada due to the fact that glass guys have dust in their eyes and cannot distinguish I's from L's so the double E in reevit was more easily read...

general meeting dec 2011....suggestion for amendment seconded and ratified in minit 8 paragraph 7 :D

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Yeah, never been much of a Glasser type of guy. :) So if I call it a reevit will I get an answer quicker?:D

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... 1/8" is to small,.... get the 3/16", 'n a matchin' drill bit.....

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Here's a good vid of how to do it, in case you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MA1-5NXjs&feature=related

Dab a little epoxy on the end of your rivet for added insurance.

I recommend the aluminum rivet with the steel mandrel (like the ones in the vid) because they're stronger. After the rivet is set take another little dab of the epoxy you have mixed up and apply it to the hole in the rivet.

You can get any size rivet you want here:

http://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/blind-rivets-en/closed-end-blind-rivets.html

I suggest either the PR62ASPH or the PR64ASPH depending on the thickness of the metal(s) you're going to rivet. If you're just doing a seam the 2s should be fine, but if you're doing a seam on a rib or the hull to a rib I'd say you want the 4s.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Here's a good vid of how to do it, in case you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MA1-5NXjs&feature=related

Dab a little epoxy on the end of your rivet for added insurance.

I recommend the aluminum rivet with the steel mandrel (like the ones in the vid) because they're stronger. After the rivet is set take another little dab of the epoxy you have mixed up and apply it to the hole in the rivet.

You can get any size rivet you want here:

http://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/blind-rivets-en/closed-end-blind-rivets.html

I suggest either the PR62ASPH or the PR64ASPH depending on the thickness of the metal(s) you're going to rivet. If you're just doing a seam the 2s should be fine, but if you're doing a seam on a rib or the hull to a rib I'd say you want the 4s.

Cool thanks man. All this leaky aluminum talk got me thinking. I have a few rivets that just look like they are ready to give, but the another thing I want to do is move my transducer and fill in the old holes. What you guys think, I was on the water for 6-7 hours with 4 guys and had not a drop of water in the boat. I am going to a beachhouse on the sound in a few months and plan on docking the boat there for the week. Should I get an automatic bilge pump and call it a day?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Go with the auto bilge pump if you're going to leave your boat on the water unattended.