Wellcraft Eclipse 196 Rebuild

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice
I purchased an older Wellcraft, 1992, a few weeks ago. It is 19.6 feet with a 4.3 alpha gen two out drive. I knew it was going to be a lot of work when I bought it. Our family has had a couple of boats that were used for fishing and skiing when the children were still at home. They are grown with children of their own so it is just me and my wife. I am getting close to retirement and we decided since we still live on the water with a dock out in the back yard, we should get a boat. If we do not get one now we will be too old to enjoy. Both my sons have sail boats so there are boats in the family. With all of that said, I am starting a thread on my undertaking.
I have a lot of experience with construction and farm equipment repair, woodworking, general house construction, welding, pretty much a jack of all trades. I know a little about a lot. I like to tinker with, build and repair just about anything. This however, is my first attempt at fiberglass boat work.
I have been reading a LOT on this forum about boats, boat repair and boat rebuilding. I am looking forward to the challenge. More excited about getting back out on the lake before it gets too hot.
With all of this said, I need to get started.
Eclipse1.jpg

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: Wellcraft Eclipse 196 Rebuild

Congrats on your purchase and good luck on the refurb/rebuild. Looks like the hull is in good shape. Get a photobucket account started so you can show full size pics. Its easy and free as long as you don't load a million photos on there. Then its like 2 bucks a month.

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice

Am I missing something about the pics? If I click on the thumbnail, it comes up as a full size picture. How is the photobucket better? Will indeed do it if it is the better way to go.
You are correct. The hull is in good shape. All of the upholstery is done and ready to put back in.
Here is a pic of the engine. The floors are soft and the engine mounts look bad so I went ahead and pulled the engine. The outdrive is already in the shop and am in the process of replacing seals and waterpump, anodes, etc.
My hoist in the garage was almost too low to get over the transom. I had to let the air out of the trailer tires to get it to clear.
Now on the the rest of the teardown. I much prefer mechanical work!
Eclipse1a.jpg

Eclipse1b.jpg

chriscraft254

Commander

Take a look at my thread real quick and you will see the difference. It is irritating to some to have to click on a pic everytime you want to see something. Especially if it is a long rebuild. It helps people see what you are talking about as there reading imo.

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice

Question concerning transom replacement. I am ready to glue the new transom and discovered that the fiberglass part of the hull transom is off about a 1/2' from top to bottom around the cutout for the drive. Can I use peanut butter for the glue and allow it to make up the gap or will this not allow proper adhesion?
If this is not the way to go about it. How should it be done? Buildup with fiberglass and CMS? I want to try and get this done tomorrow. Hope one of you that does a lot of this work can give me the correct way to make this repair.

Last edited:

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice

As you can see, the transom was pretty well rotted away around the drive cutout opening. In removing the outer skin the majority of the transom was rotten to the point that mush would describe most of it. One of the motor mounts looked like it had been repaired. Both mounts looked pretty bad.

Eclipse1c.jpg

Eclipse1f.jpg

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice

Continued Teardown. Transom is really rotted,
Eclipse1e.jpg

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice

Transom and motor mount teardown pics.
When I first started, it looked like the motor mounts were pretty good.

Eclipse1g-1.jpg

Once I got into it, they were rotting away.
Eclipse1j-1.jpg

At this point, everything needs to go.
Eclipse1i-1.jpg

mark1961

Ensign

Re posting pics from photobucket.....copy the IMG code from photobucket and paste it directly in your post here.....that should work.

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice

The foam had water standing in the pockets. When I removed the foam it did not really have water soaked into it. All had to come out to get the stringers done.
Eclipse2b-2.jpg

Picture of hull with most of the stringers and bulkheads cut down.
Eclipse3-1.jpg

I am really glad most of the grinding is done. I have done some nasty work in my life! This rates up right at the top of the list.
Eclipse3b-1.jpg

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice

Now that I have had help getting the pictures posted, I will go back and get some of this cleaned up.
The PO told me he had done a new floor about 5 years ago. What I found was they just screwed a new floor over the rot. They did not even resin the CSM, just laid it as filler.
Eclipse2o.jpg

The rotten floor made it really easy to remove the floor.
Eclipse2f.jpg

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice

This is almost turning into a photo posting experiment. I am not sure which one is the best. I may just make everyone so frustrated that they will just click on by the thread.

mark1961

Ensign

This is almost turning into a photo posting experiment. I am not sure which one is the best. I may just make everyone so frustrated that they will just click on by the thread.

Have you tried just using the photobucket IMG code yet?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

In your photobucket album, hover your cursor over the pic you want to post. A drop down window will appear like this...
IMGtag.jpg
Click the IMG Code window (the bottom one) and it will say Copied. Now return to your iBoats thread and place your cursor where you want the pic to be, hold down the Ctrl key and while holding it down click the "V" key and it will paste the link to the pic in your post. Really simple.

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice

Here we go. This should be a picture of the floor removal. If this works, thanks so much guys.

Eclipse2g.jpg

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice

Now have the transom built and ready to glue in. I had some 5/4 cedar that I had not used for another project. I ran it through my planer and glued it together. Cut it into the shape of the original transom.
transom002-1.jpg

While measuring the transom, I discovered that the fiberglass skin of the hull was not even. It is thinner at the top and tapers down to the bottom.
transom004-1.jpg

I have built my clamps for the glueup and am ready to glue in the morning.
transom011.jpg

My plan is to use gorilla glue since it is really strong, is water proof and will fill voids. I would think this would solve my problem of getting the transom true according to the mercruiser spec for the transom.
If I am wrong, tell me, this is going to happen tomorrow.

eclipse196

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all of the help with the photos. Got if under control. Hope you all are as helpful on the rebuild. I have been reading on here quiet a bit before I got started, but still have questions.
:)

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

I would use Epoxy resin not gorilla glue. Gorilla glue is not any easier to work with is not as strong and will not bond like epoxy. I use express composites in minneapolis they will ship to Iowa next day for about $10 Via Speedee. You can also get fillers, glass mat and cavisil there also. You have gone this far, use the correct product. I paid les than $500 for all the materials to recore the deck of my 36 ft wellcraft. I would also cover the transom witha layer of glass matt. You will probably need two to thre gallons for the entire deck and transom. i recomend medium hardener.

mark1961

Ensign

Thanks for all of the help with the photos. :)

There ya go!! :D You're welcome......

Always liked the Wellcrafts.....every now and again one will turn up over here.....that one looks worth the effort even if it is/was rotten to the core.:rolleyes: