'55 Aerocraft CC Resto

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: '55 Aerocraft CC Resto

Got a new engine and met a fellow iboater- 64osby! Great gentleman! Now to hook up the Merc 500 and resplash it :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Outstanding! Well done gents, a 500 Merc will look good on the AC. Hmmm, where did I read that earlier in this thread....:D

Good deal all around! A new home/transom + great motor = great combo! And a new Iboats meet up is a good bonus....

I thought you might have grabbed a 400/450 early 60's Merc on ebay today, $175 I think, and seller was in northern MI. A 500 is better!:)

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Outstanding! Well done gents, a 500 Merc will look good on the AC. Hmmm, where did I read that earlier in this thread....:D

Good deal all around! A new home/transom + great motor = great combo! And a new Iboats meet up is a good bonus....

I thought you might have grabbed a 400/450 early 60's Merc on ebay today, $175 I think, and seller was in northern MI. A 500 is better!:)

I had not seen that, but I found a guy selling a '57 SC glass boat with 2 Mark 55 40 hp engines.... for $500! Might go look him up to...

jbcurt00

Staff member

I had not seen that, but I found a guy selling a '57 SC glass boat with 2 Mark 55 40 hp engines.... for $500! Might go look him up to...

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!

No really, when you run out the door in a minute to go 'look' at the twin Mark55's, F the hull, but its certainly worth a look, don't forget to shut the front door in your haste:D Some of the parts will be tough, but heck they might be runners.....

No lookie no knowie..... :facepalm:

Of course, I fully stand behind your MBS, either in furtherance of your ailment or in your recovery.... And if you fall, I'd gladly step over you, to buy the Mark55's:)

Good luck & I hate you more now then after seeing you'd bought the AC!:rolleyes:

Nice find, congrats..... Pix even if you don't buy 'em & have to PM them to me....I got a jones on now....

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!

No really, when you run out the door in a minute to go 'look' at the twin Mark55's, F the hull, but its certainly worth a look, don't forget to shut the front door in your haste:D Some of the parts will be tough, but heck they might be runners.....

No lookie no knowie..... :facepalm:

Of course, I fully stand behind your MBS, either in furtherance of your ailment or in your recovery.... And if you fall, I'd gladly step over you, to buy the Mark55's:)

Good luck & I hate you more now then after seeing you'd bought the AC!:rolleyes:

Nice find, congrats..... Pix even if you don't buy 'em & have to PM them to me....I got a jones on now....

Ones a running engine, the other is a parts engine. Don't really NEED a 40 hp.... but..... should I post the link onbthe SC forum? I love teasing folks :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Ones a running engine, the other is a parts engine. Don't really NEED a 40 hp.... but..... should I post the link onbthe SC forum? I love teasing folks :D

Yeah, clearly since I got your SC for sale @CL post right after this 1......

jbcurt00

Staff member

In many places this & your post on the SC for sale @CL could be considered cruel & unusual treatment of the impaired and the infirmed.

Good luck w/ the peek & pending pickup. I will sleep much better taking the 'you WILL buy this rig & motors' stance!

Cheers, and have a great end to the week.

64osby

Admiral

A Merc 500 would look great back there, I know where one is.

I've been seriously thinking of PMing you again about the motor

Yea Chief and his future Mrs. Chief, both very nice, came over and took my old sad sinking fg out for a spin, ended up taking the Merc. home. I'm really hoping it proves worthy of his awesome AC.

We both got wet boots and learned a little about pulling old Merc's. I hope the install goes smooth. 30mph Chief, you'll be :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good find for ya, Chief. And good on you 64 for helping out. All this talk about NLA parts, heck all these oldies have parts that aren't around any more. But we keep them running like tops. The 500 should push her better than 17 mph, that's for sure.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Even w/ 2nd party confirmation, no pix, didn't happen. Even over here in tinland:confused:

Mark 55's pix too please.....

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Even w/ 2nd party confirmation, no pix, didn't happen. Even over here in tinland:confused:

Mark 55's pix too please.....

Yikes jb, give a guy a chance to drive home... im still on the road... install (and pics) tomorrow :) Check out my photobucket below forpics of the Mark 55's.
http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj106/claycrusher1900/

GA- what one of speeds are you seeing with your 500? Do you know what kind of prop you are spinning?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Harsh because W/ ENVY:D

Great big jolly green giant w/ envy

Travel safe!

PS: isn't internet surfing a smart phone illegal while operating a motor vehicle? Esp 1 w/ precious cargo onboard? You, the future Admiral on board, or the Merc 500, you will have to decide the precious.....

Last edited:

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

:):):) the future Mrs Chief is driving (she is BY FAR the most precious thing aboard!) So I'm good with posting :):) you should drive up to get those Mark 55's since you want them! :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

the future Mrs Chief is driving (she is BY FAR the most precious thing aboard!)
Good to know you're on the right track pre-nuptials. Not only along for the long drive for a motor pickup, but driving(?:confused:?), she's definitely a keeper!

You should drive up to get those Mark 55's since you want them! :D
It'd be nice to grab those 55's, but I am limit up on old motors & boats for now. And although worthy of recovery & rehab, the will have to find a home elsewhere.

I could post a pick of the empty transom on my fg, would that count?
The empty transom can be imagined from the photobucket pix Chief posted of the 500Merc in situ
BTW: What is that forlorn glasser you mentioned was sinking?

New market to pick & peck this weekend, headed to Tennessee for some R&R. Only if it's more then I can bear to avoid buying, will anything be brought back. And if a purchase is made, a fairly expensive overnight lodging & dinner will be required by the Admiral:facepalm: <<--that will in fact make 99.999999999999999% of any & all boat related stuff cost prohibitive. Besides, I need to get what I got going. Too many days have passed already. Weather is definitely not cooperating again, for outside work & making meaningful headway.

Congrats on selling an 'extra' motor 64osby, and congrats on getting new propulsion for this AC, Chief!

Have a good weekend

64osby

Admiral

BTW: What is that forlorn glasser you mentioned was sinking?

A 1964 Crosby 16' Fish N Ski with some undetermined crack or leak and definite waterlogged foam. He was plowing pretty deep on the water test.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

GA- what one of speeds are you seeing with your 500? Do you know what kind of prop you are spinning?

Chief - I'm getting 29.8 on the GPS with a 10 3/4" X 10" pitch prop. That's at 5000 rpm with 12 gallons of gas, 1 battery and some gear. Oh, and me at 175. The boat weighs about 1000-1100 all up, maybe a little less. The rpm max is 4800-5500 rpm so an extra 500 rpm might give me 1 or 2 mph. I'm still playing with motor height/trim pin setting - really makes a difference- looking for 30 mph. I cruise at 3500-4000 and it's running about 21-24 mph.

So far the 500 has been easy to work on.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

2012-04-27_13-05-40_823resize.jpg

Here she is on the AC... dang the Mercury control cables are a PITA to hook up! The 'rude takes under 30 seconds to hook up both... spent about an hour doing these! Hopefully Splash II will be this evening. I'm going to try it without the two through hull bolts on the bottom, just using the clamps to see for proper height before drilling.