'55 Aerocraft CC Resto

barato2

Commander
Re: '55 Aerocraft CC Resto

in theory, to the extent it's due to galvanic corrosion, it should stop once you get all the copper out of contact with the aluminum. if it were my boat, i'd give all copper-compound contact areas a quick shot of the glass bead blaster to be sure.

InMotion

Commander

A tiger's open mouth on the front was what I was first thinking of too! A gloss balcony with teeth or polished aluminum? Hum, difficult choice!

Gus, would the corrosion continue even after the treated wood is removed?

Hey chief,

Great looking boat you've got there! It would be great to see some pics of the insides and the corroded spots. My understanding is that corrosion will continue unless something is done to stop it --- alum "Swiss cheeses" at a microscopic level. I'll let others who know best weigh in on the particulars of an acid etch as you just want to make sure you get the right dilution so as to not 'eat' the alum.

My vote for the floor would be to go the thicker wood ... less flex when walking-standing etc just feels more solid. I just took out 1/2" flooring and it had some flex to it with 18" centers. Just some thoughts for you to chew on.

I'm looking forward to seeing your rebuild!!! Keep the pictures coming when you can!!
IM

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

My home internet is on the fritz, and my phone does not like uploading pics here, so photobucket it is. http://m270.photobucket.com/albumlist/claycrusher1900

I uploaded three pictures of the corrosion. By far the worst is on the right rear side panel bracket where it meets the seat, almost 6" are completely gone. The other areas are all on the stringers. The stringers are shaped like an upside down T, the odd thing is all of the corrosion is on the outside leg of the T, no where else. All of it appears old due to the dirt that is mixed into the cracks so I don't know if it has anything to do with the treated wood or is from something else entirely. I was thinking of taking a steel brush and cleaning it up as much as possible then coating the area with my left over West system epoxy that I coated the transom with. I was thinking this should strengthen the area if it needs it, and prevent air from getting in hopefully stopping any further corrosion. Would this work do you think?

InMotion

Commander

Hey Chief... That is some corrosion there... but to be honest, I am having trouble orientating my self. My help all with some other shots of the area to get an idea of where the corrosion is. The areas look like they are truly being eaten away.

IM

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

I was thinking of taking a steel brush and cleaning it up as much as possible then coating the area with my left over West system epoxy that I coated the transom with. I was thinking this should strengthen the area if it needs it, and prevent air from getting in hopefully stopping any further corrosion. Would this work do you think?

Get a stainless steel wire wheel for your drill and hit it with that. Use a stainless steel brush for those hard to reach places.
I don't think west system epoxy will stick but I have never tried it. I use JB Weld and it seems to stick. There are other products that some are using that stick also. Still for an old boat that thing is in great shape.
GLG

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Hey Chief... That is some corrosion there... but to be honest, I am having trouble orientating my self. My help all with some other shots of the area to get an idea of where the corrosion is. The areas look like they are truly being eaten away.

IM

IM I will try to get some more pics added tomorrow that are more general shots, but I will also try to describe it. The major area that is eaten away is on the bracket that holds the right side panel, sitting on top of the rear bench seat. Essentially where the wood of the seat would come in contact with the side decorative panels. This bracket has absolutley no structural importance and could easily be removed. The other areas are on the 2 parallel stringers, one between the rear bench and the stern, the other in between the benches. The stringers look more like an outer layer is pealing off one side instead of being corroded all the way through. I would call it delaminating if it were some other material then AL, that's what it reminds me of. About 4' on each of the stringers is corroded, but only a couple inches of the bracket. I hope this is somewhat less confusing, but I'll get some more pics up asap.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I took some additional pics and uploaded them to photobucket here http://m270.photobucket.com/albumlist/claycrusher1900

The PO used the bracket to hold a full sized side panel, but when I was looking at it today it struck me that it might be a bracket for a full length seat with a back. Any ideas on what products I could use to stop or isolate the corrosion? Has anyone tried epoxy?

64osby

Admiral

Last night I googled aluminum corrosion. Lots of info out there on planes and cars and boats. Most of the boat stuff dealt with pin holes.

Saw some different products that might work. Some people said baking soda wash and rinse, other say vinegar wash and rinse.

I too look at you pics and have trouble figuring out what this is. It doesn't seem to be structure, is it?

If not can you cut it out and fabricate a similar piece to fit what you need. Just thinking out loud.

InMotion

Commander

Hey chief,
Like 64 says, cut out what is bad and replace. What is left, you will need to stop the oxidization process that has clearly begun and prevent it from continuing. A diluted acid etch has been recommended before and will stop the process where you can't see it --- aluminum Swiss cheeses, so it is important to stop the process first before sealing the cause in the first place in!! Then, an epoxy sealer would likely work just fine. As long as what you are cutting out isn't structural, then I think that plan would work for you. If some is structural, then you will obviously need to fabricate something. Also, check that the PO didn't use the boat as a ground somewhere. With my first Jupiter, I ended up finding a ground wire tucked up under the gunwale when I was tearing it down to scrap it. Food for thought. Really is a cool looking boat!

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

The seat brackets are easily removed, so im planning on just drilling the rivets out and keeping my eyes open fro some angle aluminum to fab up some new ones. The stringers are certainly structural and are riveted to the bottom of the hull with a huge number of rivets so im gong to try something I read on an old thread here- diluted muriatic acid followed by paint or the epoxy. This would seem to be the simplest but I can look at a full replacement if this does not seem to work well.

InMotion

Commander

The seat brackets are easily removed, so im planning on just drilling the rivets out and keeping my eyes open fro some angle aluminum to fab up some new ones. The stringers are certainly structural and are riveted to the bottom of the hull with a huge number of rivets so im gong to try something I read on an old thread here- diluted muriatic acid followed by paint or the epoxy. This would seem to be the simplest but I can look at a full replacement if this does not seem to work well.

Sounds like a plan... that's the route I was heading at one point on my hull. Just remember to use an etching primer first if you go the paint route. Really watch the dilution... not diluted enough could eat the aluminum more than you might like!

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I finally got the Jet to the point that its at the shop to have the motor checked out, hopefully ill be in the water later in the week! So now that that's out of the yard, I turned my attention back to the Aero. I hit the corroded areas with a 50/50 water muriatic acid solution and let it sit for 20 min or so before dumping baking soda all over the areas to stop the acid, then washed it all down with tons of water. I took a wire brush to the areas and got all the little flakes off. It looks like the corrosion is bad, but not to the point that ill need to replace any metal (I think......). Well, today I coated all of the areas with some of the West system epoxy I had remaining after doing my Jet's transom, looks like it coated it nicely. Now onto the new dash and getting the steering back in!

InMotion

Commander

Hey Chief,

Sounds like you are making some good progress! Glad you were able to clean and seal the corroded areas.

Would love to see some pics of the old gal... I for one love the looks of the boat... don't see many of those around these days!

IM

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I've been thinking about what type of seats I want to put in, I know I want to go with a bench in the back and a walk through bench in the front, just not what kind. Does anyone know what was normal on runabouts in the 50's? I've seen Starcraft of that vintage just with varnished wood, but I have no idea what Aerocraft used and I can't find any pics of an original interior. What do y'all think- varnished wood or build a foam and vinyl (normal) benches?

Pics coming as soon as I install the already completed dash and transom :)

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

2012-03-21_01-33-07_795.jpg
2012-03-21_01-33-59_606.jpg

My most recent progress, the new dash and transom in! The blue is Rustoleum Marine navy blue. Surprisingly, the transom is only 31" wide on this boat instead of the full width. However the aluminum skin is almost double the thickness of the transom on my Starcraft.

64osby

Admiral

Nice work, your ready to hang a 90 off the back.

Tiny little thing ain't she.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Nice work, your ready to hang a 90 off the back.

Tiny little thing ain't she.

See feels cavernous right now with no floor or anything in it! But unfortunetly she is only rated to 50 hp. While I was researching it I found that the 16' and 18' CC have all that the same dimensional except length, but in '56 they upped the hp rating to 75! I also found that when they tested it new with a Merc 50 that she only did 23 mph... I wonder if a new prop would do any better? Or should I just hang a 65 off her? :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

She coming along really nice. That tapered aft is so retro. Of course when she was built it was contemporary design. Timeless in other words.