'55 Aerocraft CC Resto

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Look what followed me home Friday! Since y'all are such fine fellows, and there is no Aero forum, I thought I'd start a thread to share and get ideas for restoring this classic craft. I found that the PO's half- *****ed everything... including a car radio/ CD player with a full car antenna sticking out of her fore deck! :eek: Also, a terrible conversion from a short shaft to a long shaft- using all regular steel bolts..... rust stains everywhere! The original transom high appears to be 14.5" on the vertical, and there is basically no splash well on the inside.... odd. Will this work with my standard 16" short shaft engine? Despite all of the issues, it does have a new mechanical steering system and the hull appears sound. One thing that surprised me was how DEEP the hull seems! Its dimensions are 16'x72"x37" but it would dwarf my Jet, and the Jupiter's I have seen! Now to acquire some elbow grease and Shark Hide...... :D

boat edit.jpgboat 3 edit.jpg

Last edited:

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: '55 Aerocraft CC Resto

Cool boat! I recommend power tools for polishing, less elbow grease:)

64osby

Admiral

Chief, I had seen your other thread and the ebay listing. Great looking boat.

I know several old Starcrafts did not have splashwells. So just make sure you have one or two good bilge pumps or you'll need to create a well.

I think your short shaft and the transom will work great. What motor are you looking to drop on this beauty?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Alright 73C. :D I think I'm gonna need some good shades when you get her shined up - even looking at that baby from way down here.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Chief, I had seen your other thread and the ebay listing. Great looking boat.

I know several old Starcrafts did not have splashwells. So just make sure you have one or two good bilge pumps or you'll need to create a well.

I think your short shaft and the transom will work great. What motor are you looking to drop on this beauty?

I figured I would start another thread as a resto instead of the MBS one, but same boat. I got the horrible windshield off of her today, and will post some better pics of her tomorrow probably. As for the engine, I have a '65 33 HP Evinrude I was thinking of trying on her. It came with the Jet when I bought her, but I had terribly slow speeds last fall the one time I took her out on the Jet so I ended up buying the newer 40 HP and converting the Jet to a long shaft. I have been doing some research since and it seems instead of the 10.5" diameter prop that was original, I only had a 9.5" and a pitch around 11 or 12- might cause some of the speed issues! So I am thinking of buying a new prop and trying her on the Aero, no need for a speedboat with such an older gal! I am a bit concerned thought that the transom is an inch and a half shorter then standard, but I was thinking if worst came to worst I can put an inch or 2 of spacers in to lift it up a bit.

64osby

Admiral

..............As for the engine, I have a '65 33 HP Evinrude ....................... So I am thinking of buying a new prop and trying her on the Aero, no need for a speedboat with such an older gal! I am a bit concerned thought that the transom is an inch and a half shorter then standard, but I was thinking if worst came to worst I can put an inch or 2 of spacers in to lift it up a bit.

Do you know what the boat was rated for? I think the 33 Rude would make a great cruiser.

I'm fighting the same transom height issue on my Lone Star. '57 Rude 18 hp short shaft is 18", transom is 15.5. In the big scheme my boat will max at 22 to 25mph so not a huge issue with trying to dial it in to max speed.. It's not like you trying to make the boat go 60, are you?

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

I saw that on Ebay....if it was near me - may have bid on it!!

I bet it did not have a windscreen - maybe....thanks for taking that winshield off!!!

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I saw that on Ebay....if it was near me - may have bid on it!!

I bet it did not have a windscreen - maybe....thanks for taking that winshield off!!!

Originally it had a one piece wrap around like early 60's SC boats, so im keeping my eyes open for a donor boat.

64, its rated for 50, but im hoping the 33 should be able to push it into the 20's somewhere once I get the correct prop on it.

64osby

Admiral

Originally it had a one piece wrap around like early 60's SC boats, so im keeping my eyes open for a donor boat.

64, its rated for 50, but im hoping the 33 should be able to push it into the 20's somewhere once I get the correct prop on it.

I know you have power hanging in the garage, but it would be really cool to put a 50's Rude on that beauty, a big twin or maybe a Lark. Gives you the true vintage look.

First, windscreen, transom and elbow grease. Have fun.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I know you have power hanging in the garage, but it would be really cool to put a 50's Rude on that beauty, a big twin or maybe a Lark. Gives you the true vintage look.

Im keeping my eyes on CL to find a 50's engine around 50 hp, all I have seen lately are non running 35 hp ones. I agree, it would look cooler then a 1965!

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Im keeping my eyes on CL to find a 50's engine around 50 hp, all I have seen lately are non running 35 hp ones. I agree, it would look cooler then a 1965!

barato2

Commander

there weren't many 50hp motors pre-1960. that's why the ubiquitous OMC 35/40hp models were known as the "big twin"....they were some of the bigger ones on the mkt at time. and for any motor that old, be sure you can get necessary parts before you plunk down the presidents.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

1328475458782.jpg1328475455778.jpgHere are a couple pic
s now that the abomination of a windshield is off. Today I pulled up all the flooring and the side panes (PO used treated ply) and found small areas of severe corrosion. The aluminum was flaking away, but it appears that its still strong as a swift kick with my boot resulted in no movement at all. I also removed the seats and found that there is foam in the benches. Its sealed in, but I poked around with a wire coat hanger and it sounds nice and squeaky so I'm guessing its not water logged. Its amazing how fast one can strip a simple tin boat! I also looked at the place where the old transom was supposed to be, and although there is nothing there at the moment, it looks as if all it was was a 2x6 about 31" long. Perhaps thats why its only rated for 50 HP compared with similar sized boats in the 60's that were 75+.

Quick question on wood for flooring. Is 1/2" ply the way to go or 3/4"? I am thinking of putting a spacer in the middle to allow for a straight floor instead of a bowed down one so flexibility is not all that needed.

barato2

Commander

now it REALLY looks like a WWII aircraft.....i'm having visions of the Flying Tiger paint scheme

64osby

Admiral

................Quick question on wood for flooring. Is 1/2" ply the way to go or 3/4"? I am thinking of putting a spacer in the middle to allow for a straight floor instead of a bowed down one so flexibility is not all that needed.

I would think if you can get supports on 18" or less 1/2" would work fine. I have heard of a few people using 5/8'. Don't know if your gravitationally challenged or not, but if yes than use 3/4".

Glad she is coming apart quickly. Hope you get the corrosion issue sealed up, sounds like they used some thick sheet material back then.

Squeaky Foam - Wasn't that one of the Manson followers? ..... Oh never mind.

gus-gus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are a few ways to stabilize that corrosion. One method is to get all of the corrosion removed and then alodine or acid etch, then a good 2 part epoxy paint.
Corrosion is much harder (physically) that the base metal and is created by water and minerals, so acid etch is simply a "controlled corrosion" with the creator of the corrosion removed, leaving a hard shell like "corrosion" covering over the base metal, that won't continue without more Alodine or acid. The paint is to keep as much moisture out as possible.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

now it REALLY looks like a WWII aircraft.....i'm having visions of the Flying Tiger paint scheme

A tiger's open mouth on the front was what I was first thinking of too! A gloss balcony with teeth or polished aluminum? Hum, difficult choice!

Gus, would the corrosion continue even after the treated wood is removed?