'55 Aerocraft CC Resto

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: '55 Aerocraft CC Resto

That's a beautiful boat! I've been out boating, mostly with the SC though since it pulls a tube much better then the AC does.

Hope your out running around in the Aerocraft enjoying some fun & sun on the water

This crossed my path yesterday, and um, yeah, I'm very near having to make a full confession.

At sea, does the Admiral perform as chaplain for just weddings & funerals? I may need to unburden my soul of the MBS sins I have committed in the past, may currently be committing :)facepalm:) and will likely continue in the future..... Admitting I have a problem is the 1st step to recovery....

Have a great weekend, and hope the Aerocraft is running & handling beautifully

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

After a long hiatus, I got back to working on the AC today. I decided to try the Sonus wash/polish/protecting coat products that I had bought last summer. Wow, was it ever easy to use! I sprayed the wash on, let soak for about 20 seconds, and rinsed off- much cleaner and took of a good deal of the oxidation. Then I put a bit of the polish on the pad for my variable speed polisher I got at Harbor Freight- in under 2 minutes I had a 1'x1' section shinny brilliantly! Super easy! Unfortunetly it shows ALL scratches on the hull, of which mine has received many in the almost 60 years its been outside. I'm only going to use the wash, but I can highly recommend the Sonus polish!boat2.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Too bad scratches on vintage tin aren't more like scars (better stories) instead of tattoo's

Nice to see ya working on the AC
thumb.gif

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

DozerII and InMotion had high praise for the Sonus. Just call the scratches patina and polish away. She looks good shiny. Good to see you back on the AC.

64osby

Admiral

Unfortunetly it shows ALL scratches on the hull, of which mine has received many in the almost 60 years its been outside.

That's why the Lone Star is getting the engine turning or fish scale look.

Good the see your still alive & well.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

View attachment 149498
View attachment 149503
Also installed the main section of floor and covered it with Nautolex... but ran out of adhesive before getting the other section done.... its coming along!

This floor covering looks very close to the original flooring on my Crestliner. So far what's your opinion on the product? Does it feel like it's a good quality product that will hold up to traffic?
I book-marked the website and page of the Nautolex for future reference. I'm definitely interested to hear your opinion on the product, it'll help with my plans for mine since I was considered changing the colors because I didn't feel like I could find products close enough to the original colors and designs to keep with the original. Now I may reconsider the direction for my boat.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

This floor covering looks very close to the original flooring on my Crestliner. So far what's your opinion on the product? Does it feel like it's a good quality product that will hold up to traffic?
I book-marked the website and page of the Nautolex for future reference. I'm definitely interested to hear your opinion on the product, it'll help with my plans for mine since I was considered changing the colors because I didn't feel like I could find products close enough to the original colors and designs to keep with the original. Now I may reconsider the direction for my boat.

It has held up well, though I only had it installed for the very end of the season. It was very easy to install, but buy double the recommended adhesive as it does not spread well. It feels very heavy and well made, I can post more info as I use it this year.

Jas, its good to be back and working on the old girl again!

I'm going to try just the wash and see how it turns out, I think it will look like dull new aluminum, not glossy polished but not looking oxidized. I'll post some pics up to see what yall think when I get a side done!

GA_Boater

That's why the Lone Star is getting the engine turning or fish scale look.

I forgot how nice the LS looked. I can see going either way. As my wife keeps reminding me - I'm a Libra and can never make up my mind. :facepalm:

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I've been pondering the type of seats I build for this boat for months now, and have come up with three possible choices.
First, use either ribbed vinyl or plan vinyl over foam. This is what the original was I think, and would look the most deluxe- if I can make them up to the standard. Even with the several step by step threads on here, I'm not sure I can do it well. Also, this is the most expensive choice, and for general fishing use I often would like to step on the seats which I could not readily do with the foam and vinyl.

Second, use some sort of stained wood, either regular plywood or the fancy oak/ birtch kind. Stain it and then coat with the epoxy I used on the Starcraft's transom. This is period correct for 1950's boats, I think most all of the Starcrafts of that era had stained wood seats. My main concern with this idea is how tacky the edge of the wood would look- plywood looks like plywood. Two smaller 1x10's would work, but I think the seam line between the two pieces would look weird.

Third option was use the same type of wood as above, but just paint it to match all the rest of the interior, a dark royal blue. This would hide the plywood edges to some extend, and match most of the rest of the interior.

Either option 2 or 3 would also have the distinct advantage of the rear seat back being readily removable or fold for access to where the gas tanks and battery will be. With option 1, it would be a feat worthy of Houdini to get the tanks in and out for refueling!

What are your thoughts guys?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Use 3/4" Fir plywood (exterior) and get some 1X Fir trim. Rip the 1X Fir trim into 1.5" wide strips & 'band' the plywood edges w/ the 1X Fir. Both being Fir they might take stain about the same, and be a 'dressed' edge instead of the ply edge..... You can make the front & back seats & both backs the same way...

Use snaps to hold the 'nice' cushions in place when you're going cruising... Pull those out & use 'regular' square cushions when your motoring to the fishing spot, and drop 'em up under the bow while fishing.....

jbcurt00

Staff member

Spontaneous bouts of brilliance, muddled in just so...... It's a gift :rolleyes:

If you look at some vintage runabouts, it looks like you could have an upholstered flap run over the top edge of the seat back, and down a bit on the back, and have 3 snaps +/- along that bottom edge... if you made the seat & the back cushion in 1 pc just a stitch seam between them, you could do the same w/ the seat bottom cushion: Fold a flp over & under the front edge........

Does that ^^ make sense too?

I'll try to find a pix....

GA_Boater

Sounds a lot better than duct tape, veen it it comes in such pretty colors and patterns today.

Are you talking about straps/snaps like on a folding Wise seat, only three because of the pad length, JB?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Are you talking about straps/snaps like on a folding Wise seat, only three because of the pad length, JB?

Snaps yes, straps no:
Aerocroftseats_zps9eb575cf.jpg

The middle pix is showing the seats from the front looking aft....

Jas ain't the only 1 that can crayola like a 3rd grader :facepalm:

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Nice crayon job there JB! I'm thinking that that would work very well, the rear seat will be full lenght, but because the front bench will have a pass through secontion it will have to be two pads. Which do y'all think would look nicer under the pads/ come fishing time- royal blue paint or a wood stain like these SC's? 1958.5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

jbcurt00

Staff member

I like these:
454px-Starcraftb58007.jpg

456px-Starcraftb58003.jpg

The bolstered top as a seat may deserve some thought too.....
From here...

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

2013-02-06_15-28-04_396.jpg

I got the seats cut to fit, after this pic was taken I did cut a pass through in the front seat back for access. I used some engineered 1x20" pine boards from Lowes. They worked great!! Now staining them...

64osby

Admiral

Hey Chief, Looking at how your seat are coming together made me think about my old boat. The one you "test drove".

The front seats had a support / railing see pics. You can kind of see them sticking up above the seat.

Don't know if you're interested, let me know.64 crosby 03.JPG64 crosby 02.JPGIMG_20130210_163140.jpg

The bottom leg on one is missing about 4" but still works and is not visable.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

2013-02-13_16-39-30_808.jpg
I fit the seats in tonight after staining them... I love the looks! The different coloring in the pic is due to one having spar varnish on it.