'55 Aerocraft CC Resto

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '55 Aerocraft CC Resto

I go out on a power generation at times. The lake level can drop up to a foot and a half durin generation so I keep a close eye on the fish finder depth when I get in the skinny water.

The Arauco ply at Lowes or Home Depot is 23/32" so it's about 5/8". I used it in my 16 footer and it's solid. Down here the Arauco was a little less than $30 at HD and about $45 at Lowes. As far as I could tell the same waterproof glue and sanded on both sides. A wee bit lighter than 3/4" too. I think in these smaller boats every ounce counts.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Thanks for the input Jas! I only used my Lonestar a couple of times and it hand a painted deck which started to wear even after that handful of times. Touching up/ repainting is easy, but it would become a chore I would think if it had to be redone every month or two. Plus, after time I would think the paint would get rather thick.. GA what did you go with? Ill look into the plywood you mentioned, sounds like it works well!

64osby

Admiral

Between paint and vinyl, my vote - vinyl. Do it once and be done with it. Working on boats is fun, playing on boats is funner:D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the input Jas! I only used my Lonestar a couple of times and it hand a painted deck which started to wear even after that handful of times. Touching up/ repainting is easy, but it would become a chore I would think if it had to be redone every month or two. Plus, after time I would think the paint would get rather thick.. GA what did you go with? Ill look into the plywood you mentioned, sounds like it works well!

I used the Home Depot Arauco. I'm cheap. What I noticed is at Lowes the sign said Arauco. At HD the sign just said made in Chile, but the ply had an Arauco sticker on it. The 23/32" worked well - good and solid. I think 3/4" is better in a larger boat, if I remember the floor was 58" wide and had 1/2" originally so 5/8 was an improvement and much more solid than the 1/2". BTW - My original floor was fine except a PO used pressure treated. For covering I put my old carpet back in until I decide, I'm definitely leaning toward vinyl like Nautolex. I'm getting tired of snagging fish hooks in the carpet.

64osby

Admiral

Looks like a great deal. I know EZ likes Defender.

Let us know how it goes down. I know the admiral was talking about new vinyl or snap in carpet on the Mariner, maybe both?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

2012-05-21_19-54-56_339.jpg
Over the weekend I got the deck pieces cut and fitted. I asked about marine plywood at HD, but at $79 I decided to go with regular B/C grade exterior ply. Now to give it a coat of epoxy then cut the vinyl!

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

2012-05-30_13-04-12_48.jpg
2012-05-30_13-03-58_618.jpg

I got some progress done this week, I cut and mounted 2 shields on the stern each being 6" tall. This should help prevent water from coming in over the stern as without them I had less then 6" of clearance and a very small splashwell!

Also installed the main section of floor and covered it with Nautolex... but ran out of adhesive before getting the other section done.... its coming along!

64osby

Admiral

Shields look good. Does the motor tilt with the shields in place?

The vinyl looks great, now you have to re-due your seat benches, and then.....

What are you doing running a Johnson tank on a Merc motor. You're going to wreck the motor.:eek:

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

The engine still tilts up, but probably not any further down. I know about the seats, they are on th list... probably custom upholstered blue vinyl.

As to the tank, most of mine either have no name on the side or are JohnnyRude tanks.. I have 4 but none that say Mercury on the side.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Well I took her out on the Bay today, and although it was windy and we had several storms come through, surprisingly the waves were non existent! I wanted to test her out under similar waves to a couple weeks ago when I found my SC pounding, but oh well. I headed out 4.5 miles off shore and got into somewhat large waves and the AC handled beautifully :) Also found my Gluvit job fixed just about all the leaks.... now to finish the flooring. So besides using it, the only thing I did on her was install new safety chains on the trailer.... CBK's experience has got me nervous with boat trailers!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, the bay is interesting like that. She can be nasty like the ocean or nice like a backyard pond:)

64osby

Admiral

Gluvit got most of the leaks? Chains are always nice. Glad she's out on the water, but where are the pics? Pretty nice to have a water ready boat and be renovating too. Best of both worlds.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Gluvit got most of the leaks? Chains are always nice. Glad she's out on the water, but where are the pics? Pretty nice to have a water ready boat and be renovating too. Best of both worlds.

Before I put the Gluvit in, I had 6" of water in the bilge after 1.5 hours... she leaked badly! Now, I had maybe 1/2 gallon after an hour. Found another small leak so ill patch that up. This engine runs amazingly well... im very happy with it!!

I did find a couple rivets that are broken, im thinking of just putting some pop rivets in with a dab of gluvit.. should fix it nicely. Sorry 64, no new pics.. I only took the AC out so no water shots:(

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Is the closed end important? I've got open end ones from Lowes, the hole is not all the way through. I just need 5, is it worth buying a pack of the closed ends? I was going to dribble a little gluvit in as well.

Closed end is very important, the closed end blind rivets are water and vaporproof used in both boat and aircraft manufacturing. The closed end rivets are also a very strong rivet, you'll notice this when you set them with you rivet gun... it'll take considerable more effort to set them than the open end rivets. Then open end can and will leak.

It's well worth buying 100 closed end blind rivets for just 5, plus you'll have some on hand the next time you need them... and since your boat is 57 yrs. old (just like me) I'm sure you're going to need some more in the future.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Closed end is very important, the closed end blind rivets are water and vaporproof used in both boat and aircraft manufacturing. The closed end rivets are also a very strong rivet, you'll notice this when you set them with you rivet gun... it'll take considerable more effort to set them than the open end rivets. Then open end can and will leak.

It's well worth buying 100 closed end blind rivets for just 5, plus you'll have some on hand the next time you need them... and since your boat is 57 yrs. old (just like me) I'm sure you're going to need some more in the future.

Ah, that makes sense. I've never done much with rivets before, did not realize there is that much of a difference! Do hardware stores stock closed ends normally or do they need to be ordered online? The only ones I saw at HD when I bought the gun were open ended ones. Also, according to the video my HD hand rivet gun wont work on these?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hope your out running around in the Aerocraft enjoying some fun & sun on the water

This crossed my path yesterday, and um, yeah, I'm very near having to make a full confession.

At sea, does the Admiral perform as chaplain for just weddings & funerals? I may need to unburden my soul of the MBS sins I have committed in the past, may currently be committing :)facepalm:) and will likely continue in the future..... Admitting I have a problem is the 1st step to recovery....

Have a great weekend, and hope the Aerocraft is running & handling beautifully

gus-gus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, these styled pop rivets are not used in any certificated aircraft manufacturing. Boats maybe, but not aircraft. It is always possible to find exceptions. Since aircraft fit into many classifications, and the only possible classification where a pop rivet is used would be experimental. Light sport, is the newest classification and these pop rivets are not allowed in their manufacturing. I have worked on a few different large aircraft, over the last 40 years and if I had used a pop rivet of any kind and it was discovered, I would never be allowed to keep my ratings or licenses.
Just FYI.