Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '55 Aerocraft CC Resto

Originally posted by 1973Chieftain View Post
    the future Mrs Chief is driving (she is BY FAR the most precious thing aboard!)
    Good to know you're on the right track pre-nuptials. Not only along for the long drive for a motor pickup, but driving(??), she's definitely a keeper!

You should drive up to get those Mark 55's since you want them!
    It'd be nice to grab those 55's, but I am limit up on old motors & boats for now. And although worthy of recovery & rehab, the will have to find a home elsewhere.

Originally posted by 64osby View Post
    I could post a pick of the empty transom on my fg, would that count?
    The empty transom can be imagined from the photobucket pix Chief posted of the 500Merc in situ
    BTW: What is that forlorn glasser you mentioned was sinking?

New market to pick & peck this weekend, headed to Tennessee for some R&R. Only if it's more then I can bear to avoid buying, will anything be brought back. And if a purchase is made, a fairly expensive overnight lodging & dinner will be required by the Admiral <<--that will in fact make 99.999999999999999% of any & all boat related stuff cost prohibitive. Besides, I need to get what I got going. Too many days have passed already. Weather is definitely not cooperating again, for outside work & making meaningful headway.

Congrats on selling an 'extra' motor 64osby, and congrats on getting new propulsion for this AC, Chief!

Have a good weekend
    Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

You need to bring her here in a few days:

http://www.feathercraftboats.com/

ans see the other barrel-back tinnies.
      George Barber
      Lovin' life near the Tennessee River
      My thread: https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=494964

Comment

Originally posted by jbcurt00 View Post
        BTW: What is that forlorn glasser you mentioned was sinking?
        A 1964 Crosby 16' Fish N Ski with some undetermined crack or leak and definite waterlogged foam. He was plowing pretty deep on the water test.

1973 Starcraft 21 Mariner ---------------- 1966 Lone Star Medallion II --------------- 1963 14' Lone Star Big Fisherman

A Smart Phone is one that is Not in your hand when driving!

Comment

GA- what one of speeds are you seeing with your 500? Do you know what kind of prop you are spinning?

Chief - I'm getting 29.8 on the GPS with a 10 3/4" X 10" pitch prop. That's at 5000 rpm with 12 gallons of gas, 1 battery and some gear. Oh, and me at 175. The boat weighs about 1000-1100 all up, maybe a little less. The rpm max is 4800-5500 rpm so an extra 500 rpm might give me 1 or 2 mph. I'm still playing with motor height/trim pin setting - really makes a difference- looking for 30 mph. I cruise at 3500-4000 and it's running about 21-24 mph.

So far the 500 has been easy to work on.
          BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
          Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
          That is what the forums are for.
          Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-27_13-05-40_823resize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	7035903

Here she is on the AC... dang the Mercury control cables are a PITA to hook up! The 'rude takes under 30 seconds to hook up both... spent about an hour doing these! Hopefully Splash II will be this evening. I'm going to try it without the two through hull bolts on the bottom, just using the clamps to see for proper height before drilling.
            1974 Starcraft 24' Chieftan IV Express Hard top, 1984 Merc 898
            1972 Starcraft 18' Mariner, 1985 Evinrude 140HP
            >>>
            1969 MirroCraft 18.5' Center Console<<< AVOID https://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...to-591439.html
            1965 Starcraft Jet, 1996 40 HP Force by Mercury- SOLD
            1955 Aerocraft CC-16 barrel back runabout, '67 Mercury 500
            SOLD

Comment

Lookin Sharp chief... I would think a 50 would get you around the 30 mph range. But boat looks Sharp!!!
              IM
              1968 Starcraft Jupiter
              COMPLETED! rebuild thread - https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=524687

1969 Falcon Rebuild
              COMPLETED rebuild thread - https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=541533

1964 Jet Rebuild
              COMPLETED! and Sold rebuild thread - https://forums.iboats.com/showthread...=582064&page=2

Comment

Took her out this morning with the 500... engine ran great! Got it up to 25 mph though... ill have to play around with the tilt a bit to see how much that helps. I did notice the engine's "whale tail" was about 2 inches under the water which im guessing isn't doing me any good.
                >>>
                1969 MirroCraft 18.5' Center Console<<< AVOID https://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...to-591439.html
                SOLD

Comment

The A/V plate should be about even with the bottom of the hull, Chief. Maybe a a tad higher. I noticed on mine that too low kept speed and rpm down. Guess too much drag from the L/U. I moved my tilt toward the motor one hole yesterday. WOT rpm came up to 5300 but still less than 30 mph. Wish I had TnT.

Comment

Originally posted by GA_Boater View Post
                    The A/V plate should be about even with the bottom of the hull, Chief. Maybe a a tad higher. I noticed on mine that too low kept speed and rpm down. Guess too much drag from the L/U. I moved my tilt toward the motor one hole yesterday. WOT rpm came up to 5300 but still less than 30 mph. Wish I had TnT.
                    My transom is rather short, I put a 1" spacer in it and its still low, but I had it tilted just about all the way up on the bar... ill try the other holes next weekend.c
                    >>>
                    SOLD

Comment

Chief, The Merc looks fantastic back there. Glad to see you got it mounted and conquered the control cables.

Moving it up sounds like a good plan. You might want to pull the whale tail and see what happens. I have read a lot in the prop section, and most posts say use as a last resort, for planing and porpoising issues. Cav plate 1 to 2" above the hull.

I'd love to see you hit the 30 mark

1973 Starcraft 21 Mariner ---------------- 1966 Lone Star Medallion II --------------- 1963 14' Lone Star Big Fisherman

Comment

The only problem is that when its that high the clamps would no longer be on the transom, just on the spacers. Then all that would really be holding it it on would be the bottom 2 bolts.
                        >>>
                        SOLD

Comment

How about a pic of it mounted as high as possible, show the cav plate height.

No upper holes for mounting? I had never looked. Two bolts wouldn't be enough.

Comment

I was spinning thru all the AeroCraft images I've scarfed up and put on my site and I came on this one, for a lighted sign from an auction site. It struck me that the boat looks a lot like the "CC", note the flat glass windshield!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1_58a248ddc33023e75c7314216fb91bcf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	7036651

Comment

Chief - on my clamp-on Merc I have two extra un-slotted holes above the slots. I don't remember how far down they in relation to the clamps. I guess you could ""lock" the height with those instead of the clamps. I know exactly what your talking about with the clamps. A Merc long shaft is like 21 1/2 in stead of 20" like most long shafts. Makes getting the motor right a pain, especially since the two slotted holes are only about an inch long. You have a long or short shaft?

Comment

That sign is totally awesome silver!
                                1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild
                                1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild
                                1984 16.5' Sea Nymph Ski Sport Rebuild
                                1980 16' Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild (swapped)
                                1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild (sold)

115' of Beach on Lake Huron

Comment

Working...
                                X