'55 Aerocraft CC Resto

InMotion

Commander
Re: '55 Aerocraft CC Resto

Lookin Sharp chief... I would think a 50 would get you around the 30 mph range. But boat looks Sharp!!!
IM

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Took her out this morning with the 500... engine ran great! Got it up to 25 mph though... ill have to play around with the tilt a bit to see how much that helps. I did notice the engine's "whale tail" was about 2 inches under the water which im guessing isn't doing me any good.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The A/V plate should be about even with the bottom of the hull, Chief. Maybe a a tad higher. I noticed on mine that too low kept speed and rpm down. Guess too much drag from the L/U. I moved my tilt toward the motor one hole yesterday. WOT rpm came up to 5300 but still less than 30 mph. Wish I had TnT.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

The A/V plate should be about even with the bottom of the hull, Chief. Maybe a a tad higher. I noticed on mine that too low kept speed and rpm down. Guess too much drag from the L/U. I moved my tilt toward the motor one hole yesterday. WOT rpm came up to 5300 but still less than 30 mph. Wish I had TnT.
My transom is rather short, I put a 1" spacer in it and its still low, but I had it tilted just about all the way up on the bar... ill try the other holes next weekend.c

64osby

Admiral

Chief, The Merc looks fantastic back there. Glad to see you got it mounted and conquered the control cables.

Moving it up sounds like a good plan. You might want to pull the whale tail and see what happens. I have read a lot in the prop section, and most posts say use as a last resort, for planing and porpoising issues. Cav plate 1 to 2" above the hull.

I'd love to see you hit the 30 mark

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

The only problem is that when its that high the clamps would no longer be on the transom, just on the spacers. Then all that would really be holding it it on would be the bottom 2 bolts.

64osby

Admiral

How about a pic of it mounted as high as possible, show the cav plate height.

No upper holes for mounting? I had never looked. Two bolts wouldn't be enough.

silver_bay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was spinning thru all the AeroCraft images I've scarfed up and put on my site and I came on this one, for a lighted sign from an auction site. It struck me that the boat looks a lot like the "CC", note the flat glass windshield!

1_58a248ddc33023e75c7314216fb91bcf.jpg

GA_Boater

Chief - on my clamp-on Merc I have two extra un-slotted holes above the slots. I don't remember how far down they in relation to the clamps. I guess you could ""lock" the height with those instead of the clamps. I know exactly what your talking about with the clamps. A Merc long shaft is like 21 1/2 in stead of 20" like most long shafts. Makes getting the motor right a pain, especially since the two slotted holes are only about an inch long. You have a long or short shaft?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

That sign is sweet! She sure does look like a CC/ B-18! I wish I had bought it on ebay..

GA, its a Short shaft, but I think between the shorter transom and a wee longer shaft its putting it in the water a ways. I'll look for the extra bolt holes this evening and post a pic. I'm guessing that trimming the engine in a bit will help quite a bit as trimmed out like I had it was really pushing the bow up.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I took both boats out again today, and adjusting the tilt and the removal of the whale tail got the AC up to 29 mph!! :) Then, on the way home both engines started acting up. Neither will get past 3/4 of their normal rpms and started seeming to slip on and out of gear. I shut off the Force and am using the AC to tow it to the dock at about 5mph.

64osby

Admiral

29 sounds great. Both motors acting up is very weird. Both slipping in and out of gear? Sounds more like surging. Did they both have the same fresh gas?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

The gas was brand new and was the same. After I got them both back to the launch (about 5 miles) I tried them both again.... no issues at all. Now I noticed that where the issue started the wake was so dark it was almost black. I'm wondering if there was a tremendous amount of silt or dirt in the water and it clogged the water ports and started over heating the engines? The water was much clearer at the launch area. Also, the Merc 500 (which was towing the SC with the Force off) started working much better.... perhaps it flushed the crud out?? Very unique experience which I have never had before! Also different that the '67 engine was towing the '96 :)

GA_Boater

It might be worth while to run some Seafoam in a couple of tanks, Chief. I'm guessing the Merc as been laid up for a while and the Seafoam might help dissolve any varnish or crud in the carbs. I normally don't recommend any "Mechanic in a Can", but this is an exception and it can't hurt anything.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

How deep was it? Were you possibly dragging the prop in the muck?

Im not sure exactly as to the depth, but it was the same area I went through with the SC about 6 weeks ago with no issues at all. The lake level seemed the same too. Silt from spring runoff building up maybe?? You can be sure ill go slow and careful im up that way!!

Im thinking about what to tackle next.. either putting a floor in her or polishing the exterior. Im planning on trying the Sonus stuff DozerII used...

GA_Boater

Maybe the water was low or run-off caused a sand bar (or silt bar). Might account for the slipping in and out of gear feeling. Were you a lake or river, Chief?

You don't have a floor in the AC yet, do you? I'd do the floor and then you have a functional boat and you can work on the interior while you use the AC. And you can polish/shine her up any time. A little at a time when you have time. Of course when you start running her around you won't have time for Sonus. :D Might turn into a winter job. But that barrel back is gonna look great all shiny. Dang, I'm sorry Chief. I'm not helping you at all. :confused:

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

It was a lake GA, but perhaps there was a silt bar, as I am not very familiar with that lake. Its usable without a floor, but one certainly would make it nicer. Im planning on using 3/4" ply coated with epoxy, but im not sire of im going to paint it and add some grit such as Rustoleum's or go with vinyl. I've read some guys have had durability issues with the paint, buy it seems to me to be a bit more "period correct" then the new vinyl... any opinions??

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

In the short time I was able to run it...

I could see how the Epoxy/Sand/Rustoleum would wear. The Epoxy/Sand combo was nice, good traction, good surface. But, the Rustoleum paint will wear off with coolers/tackle being dragged around. The easy/cheap solution would be to touch up or recoat every now and then.

My plan for the Islander (at the moment) is to go this same route but run snap in carpet too.:)