'55 Aerocraft CC Resto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '55 Aerocraft CC Resto

Thanks EZ!! Your pick also showed me what else I was doing wrong- the connecting bolt on my rude was horizontal! Fixing that would help!
    1974 Starcraft 24' Chieftan IV Express Hard top, 1984 Merc 898
    1972 Starcraft 18' Mariner, 1985 Evinrude 140HP
    >>>
    1969 MirroCraft 18.5' Center Console<<< AVOID https://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...to-591439.html
    1965 Starcraft Jet, 1996 40 HP Force by Mercury- SOLD
    1955 Aerocraft CC-16 barrel back runabout, '67 Mercury 500
    SOLD

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ResizedImage951335237444312.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	7035491Click image for larger version

Name:	ResizedImage951335237512285.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	7035492

I splashed her today! I had hooked up a 33 hp Evinrude that I had and took her out to check for leaks (and just have fun). The fastest that the 33 would move her was 17mph, and I noticed that it was almost impossible to go in reverse without water coming in over the low transom. I'm thinking of building some sort of decent looking aluminum splash well that goes higher to fix the problem or trying to convert it into a long shaft again. Problem with that is that it looks ugly since its would be obviously not factory! Also thinking of a short shaft Mercury 650....
      >>>
      1969 MirroCraft 18.5' Center Console<<< AVOID https://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...to-591439.html
      SOLD

Comment

Man in pix #1 she looks much BIGger then I remember her looking in the earlier pix. Looking good though, even w/ the Evinrude 33 tugged in so low it barely makes an appearance in the pix....

Looks like any type of splashwell would help with the transom wash over, but for sure a vertical front edged one

Hmmm, I seem to remember someone else looking for a short Merc 650. Oh, yeah, that would have been me. Not a lot of luck, I found 2, neither less then 10hrs 1way, and let the better 1 get away from me. Actually, I'm not sure what happened, waited for an update, he set the price, and then no more replies to repeated contacts

A 450 or 500 might be easier to find in a short, and be closer to period. But if she'll take the 650, by all means, yes, yes, yes, yes.......
        Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

I found 3 short 650's here in MI but they are 2-4 hrs each way. Two come with free donor boats as well! Looks like $1k-$1250 with boats and trailers.

For a splashwell, she has a little tray like deal about 4" deep the width of the transom but it sits right beneath the transom so only helps to drain the water after it is in. I'm thinking that once I have the engine on it that I want, I will rivet two small pieces of aluminum next to the engine mount, much like the shields on WWII machine guns..
          >>>
          SOLD

Comment

I love the looks of those old boats. Looks like it sits pretty high in the water to. I think something in the 50hp range would be perfect.
            1969 Lonestar Medallion restoration

1972 Glastron GT-160 restoration

1973 Silverline Grand Bahama restoration

1991 Galaxie 19' 4.3 Mercruiser
            2007 F150 4x4 Supercrew
            A boat is just a big hull in the water you throw money into.

Comment

Originally posted by 1973Chieftain View Post
              I found 3 short 650's here in MI but they are 2-4 hrs each way. Two come with free donor boats as well! Looks like $1k-$1250 with boats and trailers
              Well, you are currently short on glassers................

You b@sterds in MI have all the good donor boats, parts & pieces, and more then your fair share of the good tin as well
              Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

Hey, Chief - The Old Lady looks good on the water. Much bigger than all the earlier pics. Very classic look to her. Hope ya find the right O/B for her. BTW - Any leaks?
                BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
                Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                That is what the forums are for.
                Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Chief, Your boat looks awesome on the water. Your pics make me think of WW2 Wildcat Fighters.

A Merc 500 would look great back there, I know where one is.

1973 Starcraft 21 Mariner ---------------- 1966 Lone Star Medallion II --------------- 1963 14' Lone Star Big Fisherman

A Smart Phone is one that is Not in your hand when driving!

Comment

jb- I know, my sawzall is getting lazy!

GA- there are about 8 rivets that leak a little, down the center line. Otherwise, thankfully no! She sure does look much deeper then she did on the trailer!

64- I was thinking of painting shark teeth on her like the P40's... I've been seriously thinking of PMing you again about the motor... I saved up a few $$ and was disappointed in the 33 HP... just deciding on if in the end I will want a 50 or a 65 hp on her.
                    >>>
                    SOLD

Comment

Just for giggles, have you got a max. HP rating for it?

Comment

The only info I can find suggests a max of 50 HP. However, in '56 it was increased to 75 HP with no visible differences to the hull (albeit I have only seen a couple pics). It seems to me to be a very large hull for only 50 hp... what are y'all thinking?
                        >>>
                        SOLD

Comment

It just looks like she's squatting a little in the 1st pix above of your splash. Much less so in the 2nd. Perhaps some of the transom bracing &/or knees were changed in '56. Even if your not doing a historically accurate restoration, it sure would look fine w/ a vintage Merc out back.

I was really asking because IMHO some of the mid-late 50's Merc motors would LOOK AMAZING on that hull w/ some of it polished to a bright & shiny finish! <<<----- I can't tell you how unbelievably great I think she'd look w/ some red accents on the polished aluminum w/ a finned red Merc on her transom A few well placed wooden cockpit accents w/ red seat cushions (exposed wooden backs) w/ white piping......

This Merc 58A for example:

1959 I think, the 'A' stood for the Mercury Company 20th Anniversary, image from here

I love these 2 also:

75A from a Hemmings Motor News article <<-- interesting story too... If ya dig old Mercs.

But twin 60's is probably a tad much for this '55 AC Besides the 75A & 78A were definitely 'DockBuster' motors. Personal experience & a love of the motor would override the bad reputation for many.

Comment

Those Mercs sure do look cool! I've only found 2 though that are anywhere near affordable... a running 40 and a 50 that has been left uncovered for like 8 years.... perhaps in the future. Right now I can't afford a rebuild on an engine.... but I really really like the black and chrome look of the mid '60's Mercs as well.
                            >>>
                            SOLD

Comment

jb - cool stuff, great looking motors, to bad there are many NLA parts on them.

Chief - I too like the black and chrome. Put a Tower O Power back there.

1973 Starcraft 21 Mariner ---------------- 1966 Lone Star Medallion II --------------- 1963 14' Lone Star Big Fisherman

A Smart Phone is one that is Not in your hand when driving!

Comment

Yeah, I didn't say it'd be cheap or easy. I am also a big fan of the Merc towers. Don't they also have some NLA parts

Either way, just getting this AC back in service will be cool & great looking. Gotta have a motor for that, so run what you've got or can get ahold of reasonably Anyway you look at it under power is still better then the paddles

Have a great week

Comment

Working...
                                X