'55 Aerocraft CC Resto

InMotion

Commander
Re: '55 Aerocraft CC Resto

Super cool looking Chief!!! Were you saying a 1957 50 HP pushed it to 23 MPH or new or newer 50 HP pushed it to 23 MPH?

It does look bigger than it is!! Really love the fluidity of the design.

Keep up the good work.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Super cool looking Chief!!! Were you saying a 1957 50 HP pushed it to 23 MPH or new or newer 50 HP pushed it to 23 MPH?

I bought an add from Ebay that was a Mercury "Boathouse Bulletin", it looks like Mercury would test new boats out on their "proving grounds" with one of their engines and a competitors engine and publish the results. It had 2 different gross load weights listed, 980 lbs and like 1800 lbs. Supposedly the CC went 23 with a 980 lb load with a '55 Mercury 50 HP. Surprisingly, it still wend 20 with the heavy load. I'm guessing the gross load is people/gear/engine... does anyone know or have a guess? 1800 lbs sure is a lot for a 16' boat!

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I've been struggling to rig up the steering this week. Is there a way to rig up a mechanical steering system to an engine designed for cable steering? I tried to bolt it on at the same point where the cable hooks up, as the engine turns the cable moves toward over 6" to stay straight with the bolt.... can this be fixed?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You need one of these http://www.iboats.com/Corrosion-Res...5764940--session_id.611379388--view_id.192758

8_CamoWhaler13Transom.jpg

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Thanks EZ!! Your pick also showed me what else I was doing wrong- the connecting bolt on my rude was horizontal! Fixing that would help!

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

ResizedImage951335237444312.jpgResizedImage951335237512285.jpg

I splashed her today! I had hooked up a 33 hp Evinrude that I had and took her out to check for leaks (and just have fun). The fastest that the 33 would move her was 17mph, and I noticed that it was almost impossible to go in reverse without water coming in over the low transom. I'm thinking of building some sort of decent looking aluminum splash well that goes higher to fix the problem or trying to convert it into a long shaft again. Problem with that is that it looks ugly since its would be obviously not factory! Also thinking of a short shaft Mercury 650.... :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Man in pix #1 she looks much BIGger then I remember her looking in the earlier pix. Looking good though, even w/ the Evinrude 33 tugged in so low it barely makes an appearance in the pix....

Looks like any type of splashwell would help with the transom wash over, but for sure a vertical front edged one:facepalm:

Hmmm, I seem to remember someone else looking for a short Merc 650. Oh, yeah, that would have been me. Not a lot of luck, I found 2, neither less then 10hrs 1way, and let the better 1 get away from me. Actually, I'm not sure what happened, waited for an update, he set the price, and then no more replies to repeated contacts:confused:

A 450 or 500 might be easier to find in a short, and be closer to period. But if she'll take the 650, by all means, yes, yes, yes, yes.......:D

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I found 3 short 650's here in MI but they are 2-4 hrs each way. Two come with free donor boats as well! Looks like $1k-$1250 with boats and trailers.

For a splashwell, she has a little tray like deal about 4" deep the width of the transom but it sits right beneath the transom so only helps to drain the water after it is in. I'm thinking that once I have the engine on it that I want, I will rivet two small pieces of aluminum next to the engine mount, much like the shields on WWII machine guns..

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I love the looks of those old boats. Looks like it sits pretty high in the water to. I think something in the 50hp range would be perfect.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I found 3 short 650's here in MI but they are 2-4 hrs each way. Two come with free donor boats as well! Looks like $1k-$1250 with boats and trailers

Well, you are currently short on glassers................:facepalm:

You b@sterds in MI have all the good donor boats, parts & pieces, and more then your fair share of the good tin as well:D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey, Chief - The Old Lady looks good on the water. Much bigger than all the earlier pics. Very classic look to her. Hope ya find the right O/B for her. BTW - Any leaks?

64osby

Admiral

Chief, Your boat looks awesome on the water. Your pics make me think of WW2 Wildcat Fighters.

300px-F4F-3_new_pitot_tube_of_later_model.jpg

A Merc 500 would look great back there, I know where one is.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

jb- I know, my sawzall is getting lazy! :):):)

GA- there are about 8 rivets that leak a little, down the center line. Otherwise, thankfully no! She sure does look much deeper then she did on the trailer!

64- I was thinking of painting shark teeth on her like the P40's... :D I've been seriously thinking of PMing you again about the motor... I saved up a few $$ and was disappointed in the 33 HP... just deciding on if in the end I will want a 50 or a 65 hp on her.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Just for giggles, have you got a max. HP rating for it?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

The only info I can find suggests a max of 50 HP. However, in '56 it was increased to 75 HP with no visible differences to the hull (albeit I have only seen a couple pics). It seems to me to be a very large hull for only 50 hp... what are y'all thinking?

jbcurt00

Staff member

It just looks like she's squatting a little in the 1st pix above of your splash. Much less so in the 2nd. Perhaps some of the transom bracing &/or knees were changed in '56. Even if your not doing a historically accurate restoration, it sure would look fine w/ a vintage Merc out back.

I was really asking because IMHO some of the mid-late 50's Merc motors would LOOK AMAZING on that hull w/ some of it polished to a bright & shiny finish! <<<----- I can't tell you how unbelievably great I think she'd look w/ some red accents on the polished aluminum w/ a finned red Merc on her transom:D A few well placed wooden cockpit accents w/ red seat cushions (exposed wooden backs) w/ white piping......

This Merc 58A for example:
258227AWSAccessKeyId1XXJBWHKN0QBQS6.jpg

1959 I think, the 'A' stood for the Mercury Company 20th Anniversary, image from here

I love these 2 also:
61252-500-0.jpg

75A from a Hemmings Motor News article <<-- interesting story too... If ya dig old Mercs.

But twin 60's is probably a tad much for this '55 AC:rolleyes: Besides the 75A & 78A were definitely 'DockBuster' motors. Personal experience & a love of the motor would override the bad reputation for many.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Those Mercs sure do look cool! I've only found 2 though that are anywhere near affordable... a running 40 and a 50 that has been left uncovered for like 8 years.... perhaps in the future. Right now I can't afford a rebuild on an engine.... but I really really like the black and chrome look of the mid '60's Mercs as well.

64osby

Admiral

jb - cool stuff, great looking motors, to bad there are many NLA parts on them.

Chief - I too like the black and chrome. Put a Tower O Power back there.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, I didn't say it'd be cheap or easy. I am also a big fan of the Merc towers. Don't they also have some NLA parts

Either way, just getting this AC back in service will be cool & great looking. Gotta have a motor for that, so run what you've got or can get ahold of reasonably:D Anyway you look at it under power is still better then the paddles

Have a great week