1988 Sea Ray Seville - New to ME

Hello everyone. I'm new to iboats. The last time I owned a boat Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet.

I just bought a 1988 Sea Ray Seville and am looking forward to restoring it. It hasn't been in the water since 2003 but started when I was buying it. The boat was covered for the most part but has some sun wear and oxidation.

Project #1 - The trailer was in need of immediate work. The tires were all cracked and looked like they were going to blow out if I drove it further than I needed. The bolts were also so rusted that they snapped when the tire shop tried to take them off. End result - New tires, new drums, new backing plate, brakes and coupler.

Project #2 - Now that the boat was able to be trailered, I drove it down to a marine shop in San Diego. I thought I might just need the 100 hour service but I couldn't have been that lucky. The boat needs not only the 100 hour service but also a new water pump, alternator, bellows, bilge pump and a few other things. Should take about two weeks.

Project #3 - In the mean time I'm having the rear seats, motor cover and transom cover reupholstered. I'm also having the cc cushions done also. These should be done by the time the boat is finished at the boat shop.

Now it's my turn!!!!

Project #4 - Restore the teak wood. I purchased the three stage teak wood restore cleaner and oil. I shouldn't need to sand too much since there is just a few rough spots. I'm also going to take off the oxidation and try to bring the color back by wet sanding. This I've never done before. I'm reading the forum and watching videos on you tube so if anyone has any ideas that works please let me know.

Project #5 - Installing some electrical equipment. Again any ideas would be helpful. I'm going to install a Garmin 541S which will run straight to the battery. There is also a place for a new stereo but I need to install a couple of speakers plus I want to add a Garmin VHF 200 for safety. The next part I'm not sure how I should proceed. I want to install a small microwave. I've seen posting of not using an inverter and just using a small honda generator which is what I'm considering but if anyone has any alternatives that would be awesome. I also want to install a 12 v adapter inside the cc so I can plug the iPad or iPhone in. Any ideas would be great.

Project #6 - Refinishing the floor and installing either carpet or spray liner material (don't know what its called for boats but it is like the spray bed liner stuff). There is only one small spot that has dry rot and I'm not sure who to go about repairing it. I don't know if it would be better to just add 1/4 inch play that has been treated over the entire flooring giving it a new deck and then spraying or putting in carpet or just repair the small dry rot spot. The rest of the deck look great. Any suggestions would be great!

Project #7 - Enjoying my new boat. Like I said it's been awhile since I've owned a boat and am looking forward to taking my wife to Catalina Island, mooring to a spot and just chilling reading and fishing.

Sorry for so long but If anyone has any ideas on the projects I've listed I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Mike

Struc

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Sea Ray Seville - New to ME

Can't wait to see some pictures. I've got a 1988 Sea Ray Seville as well. You can read about it in the links in my signature.

As far as Project #6, you're in the right area. Just start reading threads about fixing rotted floors, stringers, transoms. There are many. Friscoboater has a nice long thread where everything is documented with videos, and is a good place to start.

You DO NOT want to put good wood over bad. The bad must come up and be replaced.

Good luck and enjoy!

P.S. If you end up needing anything - I have a parts boat worth of parts in my storage unit - just drop me a line.

Struc

Thanks for the offer. I can definitely use a few parts. I read the threads on stringers & dry rot & you are absolutely correct, I will not be putting good over bad. Depending on how my drill test goes that maybe moved farther up the list. I looked at your thread & you have a good looking boat. Once I get going I'll post a few pictures. Thanks again & appreciate the info.

Mike

jbcurt00

Staff member

Welcome to iBoats dry dock!

As far as Project #6, you're in the right area. Just start reading threads about fixing rotted floors, stringers, transoms. There are many. Friscoboater has a nice long thread where everything is documented with videos, and is a good place to start.
You DO NOT want to put good wood over bad. The bad must come up and be replaced.
Yep,

Frisco's boat was purchased as a water ready, no work needed boat. Didn't really turn out that way by any stretch of the imagination. Total gut. But his thread, videos & youTUBE stuff is all good!

Poke around on the restoration home page and look at some of the threads.
oops as a killer, monster thread w/ handy index on page1. Check it out too!

Don't be surprised that the water that has caused "one small spot of dry rot" isn't more going to require more repair then you expect. The laying of additional wood over the existing damaged floor is unadvised & dangerous to you, your crew, your boat & others. One small spot on the deck is all water needs to penetrate the bilge areas & fully involve some (or all) of your stringers, half (or more) of your transom, more of your deck (which is often untreated bare plywood on the back, & down side) then you think, and some or all of the foam floatation below decks. Even well cared for boats stored bow up to help w/ draining the bilge can have hidden damage from 1, 2 or 3 back previous owners who were careless w/ maintenance & prevention measures.

No matter how bad it looks, or how bad it gets during demo, take & post some pictures of the boat & the damage, the guys @here will give you good advice. Pre-demo photos will help them assess the damage & suggest a good course of action to proceed w/ demo. Or how to further inspect & investigate the damage prior to any major demo.

Welcome again, good luck, and when you get some pix posted, more people will be swinging by to check out your project.

That's the firsts order of business when I get the diagnostic check back from the shop. Once clean bill of Heath on motor & out drive then I'll drill tests several holes & get my nose down. I love reading everyone post helping out. Good stuff. Thanks again!

sub_squoch

Cadet

Does anybody happen to have rear seats and possible motor cover for a 1988 Sea Ray Sevill 20' CC? The motor cover is original but is in rough shape and was vinyled over. The seat boxes are original and are OK but the actual seats are gone. The picture below is what it looks like now and the picture below is (I think) what it is supposed to look like. Even if the vinyl on the seats that you may have is bad I will take them and re-vinyl them. I would really like to have the original look - or at least as close to it as possible!
back seats.jpg
and more pics.jpg

Attachments

• more back seat pics.jpg
    more back seat pics.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 0