voids in the transom

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When i started my resto project i had no idea how to put my transom in so i did what i thought was a good job. However i have voids between the transom and the outer skin. can anyone tell me how i should go about filling in the voids? Is there a real chance of seperation? My boat is a 73 Newman CH. What I did to put in the transom was to put CSM on the transom then a few days later i sanded it down and put a lot of resign on the transom and the skin of the boat. Then i put plywood on both side of the transom and clamped it in the best I could. Before i found the voids i had already replaced the floor so pulling the transom back out is not not really an option. By the way if any one ask foam can really blow your floor out, atleast part of the way out anyway. So as you can see i have made my fair share of mistakes. Before I started this project i had never seen or heard of anyone rebuilding a boat so all this is new to me.

Thank You

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: voids in the transom

Is the boat an IO or outboard? Do you have any pics of the work you did? How large are these voids?

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Its an outboard and the biggest void is right where the motor will mount. The big one is 6 inches round 2 are about 4 inches and on the outer top edges and a 2 about 1 inch round as best i can tell. I have some pics and will try to post them as soon as i can.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I'm having a hard time picturing what your trying to explain (I've been up to long) Post up some pics if you can and we'll see if we can help.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Welcome to Iboats..

First thing is to outline your voids with a crayon or maker.
Next is to drill 2 small holes ( about 1/8 " ). One at the bottom of the void and one at the top.
Mix up some fast cure epoxy and inject it using a plastic syringe ( with the nose cut off to Perfectly fit the hole ). Inject the epoxy until it starts to overflow out the top hole.

Wipe up any runs that comes out.

Those smaller ones..hmm.. Not sure if I would go after them right now.

YD.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used a resign from Lowes to put in the transom and found it to be to thick. I have switched over to aero marine epoxy with no VOC's. it is realy thin should I thicken it up? Will it be a problem since it is not the same? the one from lowes does not say what kind of resign it is.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I'm sure the Lowes stuff was just poly resin.

The thing is you can not prep "voids"..you can only inject them with resins ( yes epoxy is best IMO ).

As far as "thickening" your epoxy .. that is not normally needed/wanted for lam voids.

You should be fine as long as you take your time with the injection(s) and Do Not let it drain out before the resin cures.

Hope this helps some..

YD.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well i started filling the voids and apparantly when i clamped the transom in i did a verry bad jod resign started coming out of holes in the bottom of the transom outer skin that was already there and i started filling about three quarters of the way up. My guestion is what to do now? Do i just keep tring to fill the voids? Because at the bottom of the wood inside of the boat are big voids between the wood and the outer skin. Should i put an aluminum plate on the back and bolt it throught the transom to pull it all together? I have already put the floor in the boat so pulling the transom back out is not something i am willing to do right now. I have put to much time and money to have to pull the transom back out and mess up all i have done. There must be something i can do even if it is not exactly the right way? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

just keep filling a little at a time till it's solid.... might consider seacast

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Since you did not use Thickened resin (Peanut Butter) to fill the inevitable voids when installing a transom it will be almost impossible to find and fill all the voids between the outer skin and the wood transom. The ONLY way I know would be Just like YD suggested. It should be noted that the transom is likely to delaminate from the outer skin in then near future when put under stress by the motor and the wakes and waves you are sure to encounter when on the lake. I my opinion you should at the very least remove a portion of the rear deck and redo the transom the correct way. If not I fear the transom is doomed for failure. Just my opinon. It's your boat so you can do as you see fit.

Where are you located in Oklahoma?

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I live in beggs and work in tulsa. I was afraid i smart thing would be to remove the wood.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

to all the posters that look at this tread in the future.

the use of epoxy or a thickened resin in this case is just fine.

however, if this was an inboard/ outboard. it is not reccomended.

this is due to the flatness and parellism needed for a drive transom bell and plate.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So this does not happen again what is the best way to clamp in the transom?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

there are several threads on clamping....i think woodie has diagrammes.

in every transom i do .....i also use any thru bolt holes like the tow hooks.....i pre fit, and pre drill the holes.
then i coat bolts and washers with pva, and when in install a transom i bolt the thing in to the boat.

then clamp for out boards. inboards, i use a different method......that is in the link in my sig

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Your clamping was not so much the issue as the fact that you did not use thickened resin. A transom skin is seldom flat and you need the thickened resin to "fill the voids". Using regular resin will do two negaive things. One the resin will not stay put and flow off both the skin and the wood and two will not fill voids. You need to put about a 1/4" thick layer of Thickened Resin on both the wood transom and the outer skin and then clamp them together using "Medium" pressure to squeeze out the resin but not all of it. this ensures the voids are filleds and good adhesion is accomplished. Check the link in my signature for drawings on what I have just described.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you. Ok here we go. I pulled about 10 inched of the floor out. Then i pulled the transom and i be dang if the transom did not come out in one piece. Since it is none the worse for ware i will reinstall it. Thank you all for telling me pull it back out because it was held in by three spots that bonded. Can anyone explain to me how to put the stringer back in since i had to cut it of to get it out. I will try to post pics tomorrow if that will help. The stringer is made out of a 2 x 4 and i have not seen anyone put a stringer in like the stringers i have.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You will need to "Sister" it back in. That means Butt joint a piece and then add two pieces of 1/2" ply wood on either side of the stringer using epoxy and screws. Then Glass over all of it. You still have to figure out a way to clamp it properly. Have you got that figured out yet? Is the top cap back on your boat? Do you have the material to make your Peanut Butter thickened resin?

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok i will sister them. I have not figured out the clamping issue yet. the top is still off. I do have the stuff to make peant butter. I have made it a few times so far and i am still tring to get the hang of it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Use these...
IMG_1.jpg

Mix your resin to the consistency of mayonaise and use a 1/4" notched trowel to apply it to the skin and the transom. What are you using to thicken the resin?