Island Girl Boat detailing products?

Sandbank

Seaman
I was wondering if any of our community had used any of the 'Island Girl' boat detailing products, especially the hull cleaning and ''waxing'' products and what were the results?? I ask as;
they are a bit expensive for a ''trial'' and I dont want to risk coating my gel coat with something I may regret...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Island Girl Boat detailing products?

On older boats no product will add to the value............ depending on the age of the hull I would use good old compound at go to it.

People selling exotic products do not impress me on any older boat........ it either shines or it does not.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What kind of boat? What are the issues? Bob is right, however, the best method for restoring shine is "Elbow Grease"

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

What kind of boat? What are the issues? Bob is right, however, the best method for restoring shine is "Elbow Grease"

I guess we are saying the same thing but, the short answer is ........... there are no shortcuts!! ;) I classify the shining of a hull as a labor of love.

Sandbank

Seaman

Thanks guys,I appreciate the advice. The hull (an old Bayliner) was re gelcoated by the previous owner about 3 years ago. Did not do a great job as is a bit dimpled in areas and is starting to chalk in others. Happy to take to it with a rubbing compound but dont want to scrub so hard I remove the coating. Would love to recoat but my skills and the boats value dont support that...will try a lighter rub down then some canuba wax and see how it looks.:)

tpenfield

Staff member

I was wondering if any of our community had used any of the 'Island Girl' boat detailing products, especially the hull cleaning and ''waxing'' products and what were the results?? I ask as;
they are a bit expensive for a ''trial'' and I dont want to risk coating my gel coat with something I may regret...

I do not know first hand, but since you have not received any such responses yet, I'll share some of my previous forum insight.

I think it was on trailersailor.com, quite a few years ago . . . much discussion on yellowing and product performance issues with Island Girl. Maybe you can Google your way to some specific threads.

I have used PoliGlow with good results, but your boat needs to be really oxidized. If the boat has still got a reasonable finish and just needs to be brightened up, I would go with the more conventional waxes or teflon polishes.

Sandbank

Seaman

I do not know first hand, but since you have not received any such responses yet, I'll share some of my previous forum insight.

I think it was on trailersailor.com, quite a few years ago . . . much discussion on yellowing and product performance issues with Island Girl. Maybe you can Google your way to some specific threads.

I have used PoliGlow with good results, but your boat needs to be really oxidized. If the boat has still got a reasonable finish and just needs to be brightened up, I would go with the more conventional waxes or teflon polishes.

Thanks Ted, will give google a search:)

Sandbank

Seaman

Might get more than I bargained for if I type in ''Island Girl''!!! LoL