1978 bayliner restoration

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1978 bayliner restoration

A lot of people tell you that the foam is structural. My Capri has had no foam for four to five years now. Used every summer and I have been rather hard on it. No cracks no problems. Waves do make a drumming sound when sitting still as Opps suggested. The hull on my 1988 is just as thick as my 1974 Sidewinder.

bayliner09

Seaman

sorry wood on glass it took me so long anwer long day at work but the depth is 8 inches

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would Guess-ti-mate you'll need enough foam to fill 60 cubic ft. Since OOPS pointed out that your Bayliner foam IS Structural, you should use the 4lb density foam. Based on USComposites calculations your cost for foam will be approx. $750 + shipping.

bayliner09

Seaman

now that ive got the stringers in im wondering what kind of fiberglass do i use to fasten the stringers to the hull and in what order. stringers are about 8 in tall at most 10 inch and im trying to stay relitivly cheap this boat isent very big 18.5 foot long no open bow and at most 6 foot wide thanks

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class

now that ive got the stringers in im wondering what kind of fiberglass do i use to fasten the stringers to the hull and in what order. stringers are about 8 in tall at most 10 inch and im trying to stay relitivly cheap this boat isent very big 18.5 foot long no open bow and at most 6 foot wide thanks

Check out these two threads. It might answer your question. I know there is another thread that either Wood or Opps put out which has a diagram on the order but I couldn't find it.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286013
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=510077

bayliner09

Seaman

thanks shellback89 but these threads really didnt get my question anwsered what i did catch was you can use csm for tabing and stuff but is this true and what wieght and how meny layers?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

bed the stringers in peanut butter.....

tab the stringers to the hull with one layer of 1.5 csm.....then follow with a 1708 over the csm,,,,wet on wet.

then wrap the stringer in csm....1708....csm..1708.....

going over the top of the stringers is tough...the glass does not like to bend...
so you just go up the sides...
then rip some csm and it will bend over the top of the stringers.

click the link in my sig...it will show you how to do it. use the index.

bayliner09

Seaman

does anyone know if a 1978 aq120b/270 bayliner quartermaster should have a oil cooler i got the motor with a couple of things missing and would like to find out if its another thing ill have to buy

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

You might try a post on baylinerownersclub.org
They have some good schematics posted there and a very knowledgeable group of guys who work on these older ones.

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

does anyone know if a 1978 aq120b/270 bayliner quartermaster should have a oil cooler i got the motor with a couple of things missing and would like to find out if its another thing ill have to buy

Yes you should have an oil cooler. Your motor should look just like mine, and 74Bayliners. Check em out on our resto threads.

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

P.S. Post some pictures. We need some boat eye candy.:)