1970 Starcraft Chieftain Restoration

TulOkBtMn

Cadet
I have an 18' 1970 Starcraft. The title says Chieftain, but probably should say Starchief? Anyway, In my restoration efforts I have discovered some of the flybridge windshield frame pieces missing. Anyone know of a salvage source for the complete frame?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 Starcraft Chieftain Flybridge Windshield Frame

Welcome to iboats Tul!

Yah, if she is 18' probably a Starchief.

To be quite honest, you are going to have a real tough time finding that stuff. I'd think your best bet is to hang around here, in the iboats restoration section, or in the Starcraft section, in an effort to find a guy who is tearing the lid off of his Chief or something. Rare, big time.

Or, find a company that can custom build the framework for you. That'll be kinda pricy though.

The thing about these ol Starcraft cabin boats is they have that track that your windshield will slide into so it has to be specifically designed for that.

But, probably a third option could be...

Drill out that track all together and find a good fitting replacement windshield from a donor boat or something.

I dunno, just thinking out loud here.

Got any photos of what you are working on;)

Cheers:)

TulOkBtMn

Cadet

Welcome to iboats Tul!

Yah, if she is 18' probably a Starchief.

To be quite honest, you are going to have a real tough time finding that stuff. I'd think your best bet is to hang around here, in the iboats restoration section, or in the Starcraft section, in an effort to find a guy who is tearing the lid off of his Chief or something. Rare, big time.

Or, find a company that can custom build the framework for you. That'll be kinda pricy though.

The thing about these ol Starcraft cabin boats is they have that track that your windshield will slide into so it has to be specifically designed for that.

But, probably a third option could be...

Drill out that track all together and find a good fitting replacement windshield from a donor boat or something.

I dunno, just thinking out loud here.

Got any photos of what you are working on;)

Cheers:)

Ya, I've already been combing the Craigslist for a 500 mile radius looking for an old Starcraft that I can rob the windshield frame from to fit mine. I have some actual frame pieces missing.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post up some pics, TulOK. Ive seen some on CL, in fact not too long ago. Is it the WS that looks like a '55 Chevy or something altogether different? Most of the SC windshields are stock pices from Taylor Made and used on for than just SCs. Pics will help. Welcome to the Tin Madness. :D We'll help you out and some of us might even convince you to turn her into a center console. :eek:

TulOkBtMn

Cadet

Post up some pics, TulOK. Ive seen some on CL, in fact not too long ago. Is it the WS that looks like a '55 Chevy or something altogether different? Most of the SC windshields are stock pices from Taylor Made and used on for than just SCs. Pics will help. Welcome to the Tin Madness. :D We'll help you out and some of us might even convince you to turn her into a center console. :eek:

Well, I got extremely lucky already. Located all frame pieces within 75 miles of home. Still need the rubber molding, but i can pick up lots of that.

I am keeping a photographic journal of this journey, but to upload seems a big secret. Heck, this site won't even let me edit my own profile. Tells me that I don't have permission.

Attachments

• Eufaula Starchief.jpg
    Eufaula Starchief.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Classic 70 Interior.jpg
    Classic 70 Interior.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

Most of us use PhotoBucket to store the pics and you have use Go Advanced to insert pics. I still have probs every time I insert pics.

As far as your profile, click on Settings in the top right corner and choose Edit Profile on the left under My Settings. That has worked for me.

Glad you found the frame pieces you needed. Gaskets are prob some universal type.

GA_Boater

That worked TulOk. I saw your PB pics. Just a quick glance but you got a started by ripping the deck out. A couple of planks and you'll be on the water. Well,maybe a little more. Keep us posted and don't be shy about asking if you have questions.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome and great looking rig! Glad you found the pieces you needed right off like that, awesome! I actually have the whole upper windshield from a previous project I unfortunatly had to sell. Looking forward to seeing what you do with her.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the site TulOkBtMn. That's a great looking project you've got there. We had to severely restrict what newbies can do on the site due to a terrible spammer infestation. I think you only need make a couple posts to "advance" enough to be able to edit your profile. Check it out now. You can post your photobucket pictures right in your thread using the IMG code links that photobucket provides. You might want to size them down a bit before doing that though. If you want to create a new restore thread that's fine or I can re-title this one for you.

TulOkBtMn

Cadet

Welcome to the site TulOkBtMn. That's a great looking project you've got there. We had to severely restrict what newbies can do on the site due to a terrible spammer infestation. I think you only need make a couple posts to "advance" enough to be able to edit your profile. Check it out now. You can post your photobucket pictures right in your thread using the IMG code links that photobucket provides. You might want to size them down a bit before doing that though. If you want to create a new restore thread that's fine or I can re-title this one for you.

Thanks ezmobee. Yes, I would appreciate a re-title to: "1970 Starcraft Restoration." Seems like I spent half my career learning new computer operating systems, so, just have to slowly master this one. Replies are a bit tricky yet as I'm used to Windows Mail.

TulOkBtMn

Cadet

Welcome and great looking rig! Glad you found the pieces you needed right off like that, awesome! I actually have the whole upper windshield from a previous project I unfortunatly had to sell. Looking forward to seeing what you do with her.

Hey boatnut74, I may still be interested in that windshield you have. Specially if it has all parts and unbroken?