Making a Bench Seat (Frames, Foam & Upholstery) w/Videos

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: Making a Bench Seat (Frames, Foam & Upholstery) w/Videos

Maybe being glued to the foam makes a difference, my problem with them has been that they rip fairly easily. And if they aren't bidegradeable as you say, you should be good to go! Let us know in 25 years. :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, I got the Back of the Seat 75% completed. Framing done, Foam attached & Plasticized and the newly sewn Cover pulled on. Now the fun of stretching tugging and pulling and stapling begins. Anyway you can kinda see what she's gunna look like.

BackFraming.jpg

RearSeat1.jpg

rearseat2.jpg

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks Good WOG, I want to change my style of bow seats right now the vinyl is just white and pulled over the foam. I am definitely going to be going with this design of the piping going around the edges. It makes for a nice transition and better looking.

WOG where is your video on how you manufactured and measured for the side panels

thanks again

Jack

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Looks Good WOG, I want to change my style of bow seats right now the vinyl is just white and pulled over the foam. I am definitely going to be going with this design of the piping going around the edges. It makes for a nice transition and better looking.

WOG where is your video on how you manufactured and measured for the side panels

thanks again

Jack

No video on side panels. The seats are flat, with no contours so I just basically cut a piece of vinyl 6" wide by 13 1/2' long and sewed it on. I sew my piping on first with 1/2" allowance and then sew the boxing (side piece) on. It is flipped back side up and then layed over the piping and stitched to the 1/2" allowance. The Key I have found it to use a zipper foot and make sure you stitch as closely to the piping as possible. Makes a nice tight fit between the boxing and the piping. I used 1/4" cord for the piping on the bench and 1/8" cord on the swivel seats. From now on I will use the 1/8" cuz for me the smaller piping looks better. I thought for the bigger bench the 1/4" would look better but I don't think it does.

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Woodonglass, perfect, sounds straight forward but I will probably hit you up with some more questions when I get to them . I found some 5/32 foam/plastic material piping when I started seems to be doing the trick and should not absorb water they told me.

Were you able to do the piping in one piece or did you have to splice it, if so did you just overlap the vinyl a bit for a splice.

Thanks again

Jack

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I bought 5 yards of material which gave me 15 linear feet. I only needed 13.5 to I had enuf so I did not have to splice. You can splice and here's how. On one end of the piping you remove the stitcing and peel back the vinyl about 1 inch. Cut the cording back the same 1" and cut @ 45? angle. Cut the other end of the piping at the opposite 45? angle then connect the two ends and use the peeled back vinyl to overlap. I'll try and make a short video to show how I do that. I learned it from a a video that is no longer posted on YouTube.

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again WOG for the detailed directions. A video would be a real bonus. I will have to get my material out and see what I have for length. I might be ok.

Jack

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hey Wood , I may have missed it . You built the frames out of SYP . Were they 1x12, 10, 8 and doweled or biscuited ? Could you use 3/4 ply or do you think that would be to heavy?
S.P.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, plywood would work too! One piece construction if you did that. Mine are full lap joints made out of 1x6 SYP and Gorilla Glued.

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class

wood, now look what you started. picked her up off ebay. 1.0amp motor and up to #18 needles, should work well. very impressed with your work and hoping to do half as good. Can't wait to see your seats done.

chad

$(KGrHqQOKjgE6RdHWLSuBOq4Do,KdQ~~60_12.JPG

JDA1975

Lieutenant

wanted to get your opinion on piping material...I was looking in my shed and came across some screen spline....its 3/8" round rubber, do you think it would make a good piping core? or do you see a problem and i should go with a fiberous material?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

IMHO 3/8 is to big for piping. I did 1/8" on my fishing seats and 1/4" on the Bench. I honestly think the 1/8" looks better but... I truly believe the absolute best choices is 3/16 if you can find it. I used Nylon cord from Walmart. If you can find some kind of 3/16" cording I think it would be the best choice. JMHO.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

OK, I can get the screen spline in 3/16 as well, just like the idea of the rubber instead of fiber in a wet environment, but I will look at the other as well...the cording I saw at wal-mart for doing piping was almost 2 bucks for a 6' piece....seemed expensive considering

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I just use 1/8" Nylon cord. Cheap and does'nt rot. Found it in the hardware dept.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Wish I found this post BEFORE I started my vinyl redo...your videos were awesome and I have already learned more (which I knew/know very little). I originally opted out of the welting/cording/piping anywhere, but after looking at how the wood panels sit against the fiberglass on my boat, I think/hope it will provide a "bead" like barrier against water getting behind the panels and seat backs. So now I need to sew some with the 3/18"-1/4" cord material and staple then to the back. I like the bead look on the restos...for me I wanted a simpler/cleaner look (IMO).

Ciao,
Brett

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer
Great videos and how to on this Wood. Now you got me thinking about attempting my seats

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Thanks to everyone for stopping by. I'm glad you're finding the thread useful. I've been experiencing life issues and work issues that have prevented me from doing much on the seat. I will say that, for me, the upholstery was not that bad to tackle and I find the more I do the more I enjoy it. I am just having a hard time finding the time to get anything done. Ever since I got over Bronchitis it seems like everything has to be done, NOW!!!! and there's no time for anything else. There are also some videos in my "My Flamingo" Thread that you might find useful. I learned a lot from the videos on Youtube posted by Craig here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3FfGeaHgus&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
If you don't have a 1/2" AIR Crown Stapler, go to HF and buy one. You'll see why in part B of the Video.
There's a part B so hang with the video even when it appears to be finished.

Friscoboater

Captain

I am glad you started a thread for this. I am going to be doing some upholstery work soon, and I will be learning from this.

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the video WOG it answers all my questions