sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Re: Making a Bench Seat (Frames, Foam & Upholstery) w/Videos

How bout dockside rocking chair feet?:p

jbcurt00

Staff member

WOG 3 actual upholstery related Q's:
  • Any chance you could do me a favor & add this to your signature line?
  • Did you get your upholstery thread from the oddjobber ebay store you posted a couple of times @ vinyl purchasing?
EDIT: Found the answer to below in Post #8:

• What weight, makeup thread? Nylon & polyester are both listed as 'marine' & outdoor. It's only a couple bucks per spool. 1200+/- yards, seems like a lot, 1 spool? Or as many as needed to be 1 spool per vinyl color.
Thanks, Greatly appreciate the 503A hookup. Sold, p/up pending. It's a tad odd, but I'll be paying in cash upon inspection & p/up, so no harm. The other machine isn't out of my way when I'm in Pittsburgh this weekend. So I may go see it too. Who knows maybe I'll be turning & burning vintage sewing machines to pay for my vinyl....:D Including gas I'll be under $140 for 2 Slant-o-matics. And I had to make both trips anyway, so take the $30 for each trip in gas off & I'm at $80/2 slants.... Not to shabby. :cool: Shenanigans may now continue, or not...

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thanks, have a good night. I'll let ya know about the machines...

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

First let me qualify my input by saying I know nothing, but I did stay at a holiday on last night! But...I would not use those type of fasteners. I have 6 Solid Oak dining room chairs that use these to attach legs, seats and back...in the first year of use they were all so loose I had to pull them out and use a different anchoring system. I used expanding concrete inserts (also, would not use these for a boat, as they are not stainless) Which have lasted longer than the thread in inserts, but still not perfect.

I think your idea is awesome and sound; however, I'm afraid these threaded inserts mounted in plywood will have much less grabbing/staying power than the solid oak in my dining chairs, especially with the vibrations from a boat! The inserts (maybe only one will do this?) will eventually "egg-out" their holes and cause the insert to loosen, not to mention introducing moisture to the equation, which if the bolts freeze will be difficult to screw in/out then you'll have to pull them through your nice new floor!

My rock and a stick method...I would use epoxied plywood with stainless "T" nuts on the existing deck that way there's no penetration through the deck (see attached horrible sketch). Not as clean nor as industrious, but IMO, a easier/more secure way to keep your seats in.

SeatBase.jpg

I'm looking for a better anchor system...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Your reasoning is very sound and I have considered it. If the threaded anchors are not secured with epoxy or 5200 then they will have a tendency to "egg out". I too have used these anchors many times in my woodworking experience and have always made sure to secure them with epoxy. I appreciate your input however due to my desire to have my deck surface on one level I'm gunna keep it like it is and see how it goes. I may end up going with your advice cuz it IS spot on and the preferred method for attaching pedestals etc..

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer
Wood, if you find a good cheap sewing machine in the center of lower peninsula Michigan, I could be inclined to check it out :)

Love what you're doing with the seats.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Found 1, now if it shipping was less then the purchase price, I'd buy it. Think I can sell the Mrs on His & Hers????

Mercurysewingmachine.jpg

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

You're probably right with the 3M 5200...I tried gorilla glue on the chairs and it just made a huge globby mess of the threads and made 'em tough to get out when I couldn't get the bolts in! Here are few other options. not sure if they're any more secure or a any better of a solution (not implying you have any problems our are looking for other solutions...just my $.0002 worth.) In the end I'm sure the threaded inserts will work great...I mean how many times are your gonna have those seat in/out? One last thought, then I'll quit interjecting...maybe you could use some neoprene or rubber washers between the angle and insert? Might help cushion and hopefully keep some water out?

Great Job on the seats BTW, I love the way they turned out!
Brett

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=59754&cat=1,41637
http://www.twinsrecreation.com/Boat...ers-14-Alligator-Anchor-Toggler_p_62810.html#

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Here's my thoughts and again as will most of us here I know nothing so not sure this is even worth $.02. I think epoxying those inserts in will help great I also think the idea of attaching a rubber strip on the bottom of the aluminum is a great idea maybe epoxy the rubber to the botton of the AL Angle so that it is always with it and then goes with it when dockside. The only real advantage that these screw in fasteners have over T-nuts is that they can be added after the sole is installed rather than having to predetermine and predrill the holes and install T-Nuts prior to being able to test the layout. T-Nuts would be my preferred way as they will hold from the backside. I would still epoxy the T-nuts to seal and secure them further. But in this scenario the screw in fittings just may be the best overall choice because then you can put the seat in mark your holes drill and install after the sole is installed. Now if only I coul dfind the deals ya'll are on sewing machines the other half wouldn't be so sticker shocked when I tell her what I am going to have to spend to get a decent machine. All the ones I am finding around here are $150+ with a few around $200 and most over $500 ranging up to $900 ouch. Hard to spend that on my $250 boat but then again I am putting $1500 into a $250 boat whats another grand. LOL

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The thing I hate most in life is GoFer work. Go Fer this and Go Fer that. I had to do some of that this morning to get everything together for the Bench Seat Frame Feet. And then It started Raining. I'm not complaining cuz we needed it badly. Slowed things down a bit but I did get the feet completed and mounted but that's about all. I wanted to get the deck ground down and the front seat bases epoxied in but I guess tomorrow is another day. Here's the feet...

Here's the Pads made out of my trusty $1.00 cutting board material.

Photo0402.jpg

I decided to rivet the pads to the angle. I think it worked out great.

Photo0397.jpg

Photo0398.jpg

I then used Stainless bolts and Lock Nuts to mount them to the wood Frame.

Photo0401.jpg

Photo0399.jpg

Photo0400.jpg

I'll remove em then coat the frame with epoxy and Paint with Hardener and the Seat will be Done!!!!!​

jbcurt00

Staff member

Here's the Pads made out of my trusty $1.00 cutting board material

That $1 just keeps on giving! Looking good! w/ pads reevited on L bracket, just getting longer knob screws?

Have a good weekend!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I've got another Idea on how to attach. I'm gunna work on that tomorrow and have some pics then.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Looks good wood, your an inspiration to us all!

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class

So how'd ya end up mounting to the deck?!?!?!?! The suspense is killin me :)

Nodd89

Cadet

Me as well...originally I wanted a seat the folded down and the back of my boat but now I want something that can come out for this "dockside use" idea

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I made angle brackets for the seat back and attached it to the gunwale. I'll try to post some pics when I get her winter clothes off this weekend if it doesn't rain again!!!!:eek::grumpy:

cin3000

Cadet

Woodonglass -
Thank you sooo much for posting your videos. They are going to help me reupholster the 7 bench seats in my 1989 Grumman pontoon. I do have a few questions if you can answer them please.
1) Where did you get your vinyl? There is a Hancock Fabrics and Joann Fabrics that are charging $9.99-$13.95 per yard of marine vinyl and was wondering if that's a good price or not. Is there any place cheaper? Ebay does sell it cheaper but the shipping is what kills ya.
2) What type of needle did you use?
3) I was going to eliminate the piping when I redo the seats, do you recommend this? I was thinking it would be hard to do and since this is my first upholstery project I didn't want it to come out looking bad.
4) Do you have a link to all of your videos? I didn't see one with you applying a plastic covering over the foam. Speaking of foam, there was no plastic covering over mine and some of the foam has worn away in spots where the seam came apart. What do you suggest I do to fill in the void?

Thanks a ton and I look foward to reading your reply.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for your kind words. I got my vinyl from TrimJobber on Ebay. He has closeout specials on Marine Vinyl starting @ $5.99 a yd. Really nice stuff. Just make sure you get enough cuz sometimes he does not have the same stuff if you need to re order. His shipping is very reasonable out of Florida. I use Schmetz 100/18 leather Needles and #69 Marine Thread. I like the piping look and it's very easy to make and install. It's your decision. I think it makes things look better for a beginner. All my upholstery stuff is on this thread or on my main My Flamingo thread in my signature on pages 5, 23-25, 27, 31 and 35. There are others on here that have done some good Upholstery work, JDA1975, sphelps, mrdjflores, andgott and others. Search for them and check them out too! I'd find some old foam and try to tear out some pieces and use the glue to patch in the gouged out parts of the seats if they were really bad.