MFG rebuild getting started pics

kfa4303

Banned
Re: MFG rebuild getting started pics

HI S.P. Great progress you're making there. What are the stringer spacers for? I've never seen that technique. Do they go between the backside of the transom and the hull, or something? Where are you in N.FL? I'm Tallahassee. Cheers!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Kfa I live in J-ville. I have an aunt that lives in Tallahassee. The spacers are there to help keep the gap correct between the inside skin and outside skin of transom for the nida-bond pour. I,ll lay the inside skin in and then fillet around the edges to seal gap then install my plywood temp support and pour transom. I took that idea from Archbuilds seacast pour.:cool:
S.P.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

It depends. If the top cap just has general scratches and nothing to bad I'd use 100 grit for the first pass and 180 for the last. Acetone wash it and then Two coats of primer wet sanding in between.

The cap is basically just oxidized and dull looking other than the brazilllian screw holes in it. I also have a few chips on the raised little ribs on the bow.
DSC00079.jpg

Whats the best way to keep that strait? I was thinking build the 3M filler up a little and while still wet take 4 inch putty knife and carefully chop down on each side pulling extra out and away from rib. Sand carefully.

kfa4303

Banned

gotcha. very clever. I'm curious to see how it works out. I wish I could help you with the paint questions, but it sounds like you're on the right track. Are you gonna keep the cool pastel blue color? I have a guitar that would match it perfectly :)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Wow! I've been away for a few days and I come back and you are crankin away...Great progress!

I don't know if this will help for your current project, but masking tape, built up in layers, makes for a great guide whenever you want to build up some filler and keep a fairly straight line...just keep layering masking tape until you get to the approximate height of where you want to be, then add your filler...when it sets up, just sand until you hit the first layer of masking tape and you should be real close...also, whenever you sand, you should use some type of straight edge, like a block of wood...that will help to keep your edges nice and straight and sharp.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

kfa, I guess there.s no rule that says I can,t change the color but I can,t think of any other color that would look any better. The original color is a lot darker MFG made a lot of there boats this color..

GT, I don,t like this time of year when it gets dark so early .. You can turn lights on and work but something in your head tells you it.s quiten time [speshly after a cold one or two]!:D The masking tape trick sounds like a great idea 1

S.P.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

yea, dark= cold one= close to qwitten tyme...

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

You are doing a great job on that ol' girl - Will be better than new. Keep the pictures comming.

LK

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I can give you the formula for making that "57 Chevy Blue" color.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I can give you the formula for making that "57 Chevy Blue" color.
This is the color under rub rail. Is that 57 Chevy Blue?
DSC00083.jpg

I had all I can stands till I can stands no more! Gotta clean up!
DSC00082.jpg

Hey while I was cleanen up I thought I might lay the hardtop on and give you guys little peek at her with some of her clothes on.
DSC00087.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

I think she,s gunna look good enough for a date when she git,s her makeup on!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Great looking top on or topless! Perfect! That 'blue' is gonna really shine between the white top & hull! What is that a drive in drive out attached carport?

I think that the acrylic panels they sell to make homemade greenhouses is what Andgott (I think it was him) uses as passive solar heat & light across his garage door opening. I don't know how much they are, but temporarily closing 1 end w/ those might make a warmer, brighter, semi-enclosed work space. If I could get away w/ it, I'd put an 8' awning structure off the front of the garage & leave the boat 1/2 in & 1/2 out of ours until I got the grinding & 'glass work done. But the driveway retaining walls & etc make that tough. Besides, I was just looking at them online & caught some grief over it:facepalm:

Nice wide open work space, even w the clutter.....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Thanks jbc I built the carport/workshop with all the framing and trusses made with heavy gauge galv metal studs.
IMG00412-20111217-1738.jpg

Idid,nt think about those clear acrylic panels thats a great idea! It get dark with the tarp down.
I also thought about just some clear 6 mil visqueen plastic.

kfa4303

Banned

I LOVE the hard top and the color is perfect! That is gonna be the sweetest rig on the lake for sure! You gotta figure out some way to make the top auto slide in to position at the touch of a button, jet fighter cockpit style with some smoke and a cool hissing sound, or something :) Can't wait to watch her come to life. Cheers!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This is the color under rub rail. Is that 57 Chevy Blue?
DSC00083.jpg

I had all I can stands till I can stands no more! Gotta clean up!
DSC00082.jpg

Hey while I was cleanen up I thought I might lay the hardtop on and give you guys little peek at her with some of her clothes on.
DSC00087.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

I think she,s gunna look good enough for a date when she git,s her makeup on!!!

You tell me... Is this close enuf...

Photo0272.jpg

Maybe a little lite and maybe your's is a little aquamarine so we can add a little green to the formula and get it "Spot On"

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

It would be an honor to sport the same color as the Flamingo Wood but I think I want to stick with the aquamarine original look.
I need to start looking around to find the Rusto supplier . I would love to gellcoat but I think that,s a little more than I,m capable of.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Looking really good. That hard top is awesome!!! and that blue will be really sharp when it's all shined up

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You can get the aquamarine using Valspar Gloss white, Ford Tractor blue and John Deere Green. Try 1/4 cup of white, 1 oz of blue and 1/2 oz of green and see what you get. That should get you close and then play with it until you get it. Keep track of your oz's and then you can formulate it for a quart.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Can I find the Valspar at lowes or do I need to find a tractor supply store? Also, I assume the blue and green should be gloss. Do you put hardener in sample,s ? I can,t recall without going back to Flamingo thread Valspar had a tractor primer and this should be good for the whole boat?
Thanks Wood!
S.P.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Looking really good. That hard top is awesome!!! and that blue will be really sharp when it's all shined up

Thanks Zopperman, we,re all trying to get her done!:cool:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

She's gonna look sexy, even with her top on...:rolleyes: