MFG rebuild getting started pics

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: MFG rebuild getting started pics

I'd replace the entire Eye. The corrosion on that one looks like it has done it in. Nice job with the Chainsaw and Vac. Looks like you'll be ready for the pour. Have you checked out Archbuilders and Micks110 threads? They did some excellent work on their Seacast transoms.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hey wood, I did check out both threads they did amazing jobs . My dad had transom repaired long ago it looks like maybe they cut outside skin out and patched glass at inside corners also. I don,t think I have a pic of outside corner. http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee507/Sam1005boat/IMG00351-20111126-1132.jpg I am now considering Nidacore vs seacast I live close to seacast only 2.5 hr drive nidacore is around 4 to 5 hrs I think.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Don't cut the outer skin if you can avoid it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ditto^^^^ Either use the NidaBond or cut the inner skin and replace with wood like the original. I never advise anyone to cut the outer skin, never.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I was not planing on cutting the outside skin . I will take a picture of the outside corner tomorrow after work it looks like they may have cut it out years ago on a repair job. I may need to add more glass.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah it looks like someone has done some glassin on that corner.
FYI you can click the IMG link in photobucket and paste it into your iBoats post. Makes things a Lot easier.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Does anyone know what the material is that bonds the top to the hull? The stuff is very hard and brittle I need to patch and not sure what to use...
IMG00343-20111126-1124.jpg

Also, what should be used to fill small screw holes in top cap before painting?

Thanks!

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

PB for both. Sand and fair even...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Zopp,
I am kinda new to boat repair so what it PB?
All I can think of peanut butter,:confused:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Peanut Butter is thickened resin. Basically Polyester resin mixed with cabosil and chopped milled fiberglass fibers untill it is the consitency of creamy peanut butter.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Wood,
gunna listen and learn!

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

what exactly is going on behind the rub rail? It looks like it could be wood? Fiberglass doesn't chunk off and crumble like that.. it looks like concrete almost...
Are you pulling the cap?

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Have the same stuff on my MFG looks like some kind of Seacast stuff or something ..... nobody can tell me what it is.
DSCF1879.JPG

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I don,t know what the stuff is but I cut about a 1/2" deep groove with grinder tapped with chisel and fell out. Its white I guess where paint soaked in then it turns gray.
I,m gunna loosen just the back of the cap for better access to edge of transom..

Jon Sob

I didn't take my cap off because of that stuff .... I just cut off the ends of the cap so that I can replace the transom.
DSCF1762.JPG

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I was just thinking I,m going to need a tow vehicle . I have a company truck but not allowed for personal use. Got a 73 26 foot concord camper, "440 to much gas". Maybe my wife,s car? " yea right"! Born in 64,boats a 64, next project moms 63 studabaker avanti tow vehicle.:cool: " I wish"!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Put me down for 60 Belair as a tow vehicle! :cool: Nice looking MFG, congress on the hardtop, really great score.Glad to see someone making headway. Even if small steps.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hey JBC, just checked out your fireflite thread.
What a great looking boat!! Makes me want to look for another old boat project... Stop it S.P one at a time!
Slow and steady wins the race....

Later, S.P.

andgott

I was just thinking I,m going to need a tow vehicle .

Agreed. EVERY classic boat needs a classic tow vehicle to pull it!! This is my rig-

normal_TruckBoat.jpg

I think that they look nice together :)

-Andrew