mini speed boat transom repair

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: mini speed boat transom repair

and obviously no need to sand and wash with acetone when its still tacky?

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

im just about ready to glue in the new transom. the gluing faces have been coated in one sheet of CSM. when i clamp it in place should i put another sheet of csm on it or just use resin? I have to do more research for this part of the resto. most videos on youtube of transom installation are just seacast...

thanks again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You should mix some thickened resin to install the transom. Basically it is resin mixed with cabosil and chopped milled fibers. Mix it to the consistency of Creamy peanut butter and apply a 1/4" paste to both the transom and the outer skin of the boat and then clamp it down. Don't clamp to hard but hard enough to get squeeze out. Use a large plastic spoon dipped in Mineral Spirits to cove the squeeze out around the edges. Add more of the mixture around the edges until you have a nice coved edge all around the transom.

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks woodonglass, too easy.

i glued her up this morning. Im still concerned about the lack of surface area but their isnt much i can do about that.
I will hopefully have it tabbed in place by this afternoon.

transomgettingglued.jpg

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Cool project! Keep up the good work. Interesting hull, diggin the wide 'pad' in particular. Oughta scoot with a dialed in 30. Any idea who built it?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Agree, great project! When I was a kid I knew another kid who had a mini-hydroplane & before I got my Jet Star and started that project, I considered building one. Glad I went the way I did though. Looks like you'll have a cool toy when you're finished, looks exciting.

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cool project! Keep up the good work. Interesting hull, diggin the wide 'pad' in particular. Oughta scoot with a dialed in 30. Any idea who built it?

no idea who built it, Have only ever seen a few similar looking ones on ebay but none were ever exact.

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Agree, great project! When I was a kid I knew another kid who had a mini-hydroplane & before I got my Jet Star and started that project, I considered building one. Glad I went the way I did though. Looks like you'll have a cool toy when you're finished, looks exciting.

thanks for the comment. I read through your project thread the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it, I loved the way you restored your little boat keeping it as original as possible and painting it that awsome red colour, even the johno is colour coded. hehe

i got the last piece of transom glued in today, a bit more filleting then i can glass them both in, i used the same holes to clamp it as i ued for the main transom. A handy hint i learnt off of the forum is to coat the bolts in cooking oil or similar so they can be removed easily. Works a treat!

Im also undecided as to whether or not i should use a foot pedal for throttle, if anyone would like to chime in with pros / cons it would be greatly appreciated.

gluinglastpieceoftransom.jpg

I also made a dolly / trolley to move the boat around on, I had previously been dragging it around but dont want to ruin the new glass on the keel.

finishedboattrolley.jpg

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

still making progress. I have a question about why portions of the glass turns white after curing.

here you see the glass resin soaked and all the air rolled out.
rolledglass.jpg

and after curing most of the indivudal strands have turned white.
questionable.jpg

i put a few more sheets on the keel. I had planned to do the whole keel and transom in this shot but ran out of resin.
keelready.jpg

keellayup.jpg

Yesterday i also managed to put a few layers on the inside and splash well.
2ndlayup-1.jpg

newmotormounts.jpg

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

another weekend gone and more glass laid.

did the final layer on the outside of the transom and splash well, you can also see i did the dash(if you can call it that)

finaltransomlayup.jpg

i replaced these things, the old ones were rotten, im not sure if they are even needed now that i have added a floor.
stringerthings.jpg

next week ill glass the floor in, a few more layers on the inside transom as well as glassing in these gussets.
transomgussets.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

shes gonna be strong....!!!!

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks like you are coming along nicely!! Those modifications look like they will make her plenty strong... I think you should hang a 150 or so on her ;)

This makes me want to get my next project started now- I've got something VERY similar to this that I am going to be working on next.

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks like you are coming along nicely!! Those modifications look like they will make her plenty strong... I think you should hang a 150 or so on her ;)

This makes me want to get my next project started now- I've got something VERY similar to this that I am going to be working on next.

A 150!!!:facepalm:
its a great little project, a real manageable size. I dont know why people on here make a big deal about flipping hulls. i flip this one 3-4 times a day! You should start yours, ide like to watch the transformation of another one.

I have been looking at 25hp/30hp which are all around the 110ish# mark. then anything 40hp jumps up to 155ish# mark, ide love a 40hp johno or 3cyl merc/tohatsu but im pretty sure it will be too much weight, what do you think? im going to put the boat in my pool and get someone to stand on the back of it and see what it looks like in the water. 30hp is probably heaps! but a 40hp w/ power trim would be luxurious! and transform the boat.

I have 9 days off over christmas, hoping to be up to painting by then.

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

what do you all suggest i do with the space under the floor?
i had planned to leave it open with a self draining bung. perhaps i should make it water tight and fill it with foam?

ideas appreciated.

If i am correct it is very early christmas morning over in the states, so Merry Christmas to you all and be safe!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Merry Christmas to you too! (your calculations are right)

Your moving right along and to my amateur eye looks like a lot of good glass work your doing. :)

I don't know if you could get enough foam in there to make it worthwhile (I'll leave that to the ones in the know), but I wouldn't seal it tight. I'd leave it open so any water that might make it in there has somewhere to exit to.

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

im going to try and find 3m premium marine filler, if i dont sucseed. will this stuff do?

hoping you can open this link.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...eglass-Filler-3kg.aspx?pid=220289#Description

3m fibreglass reinforced filler. 2 part polyester
Fibre reinforced multipurpose filler
High strength, forms tough and rigid surface
Repairs large dents, holes or rust on cars, boats, trailers, caravans, brickwork, concrete & timber

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so i did virtually no work on the boat during my holidays... how could i when its 86*, my pool is the cleanest its ever been and the beach is so inviting?

anyhow i have finished glassing the deck and transom, I have used up my 10m roll too.
I bought that filler^^ still unsure if i should use it for fairing the hull, it looks a lot like peanut butter with all its glass strands and what not. Hoping someone will say yay or nay.

I did get a little air on the leading faces of those triangles, no matter.
IMG_0794.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

I don't know which filler is good & which should be avoided when below the waterline. That may have been just boats that are left in the water full-time & not taken out & trailered every use. I do know there has been more then 1 post about fillers above & below the waterline..... Sorry I didn't answer your question, but you should hear back from an expert soon..... Good to bump your thread & get it freshly listed on repair forum homepage..... If no reply mid day tomorrow........ wait it may already be that for you is Australia....... anyway, post to your thread again in 8-12hrs, and get it relisted on the repair homepage.....

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class