mini speed boat transom repair

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: mini speed boat transom repair

at the moment im putting it down to the motors depth in the water and it could even be clamped on a little lop sided.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Looks very impressive, hope you can get your issues ironed out easily. That should be a lot of fun when you get running it.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Even with the need for fine tuning, it had to of been a good day just to be floating around in that picturesque bay. :D

lil buggy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

cool build. great glass work on her, the red and white is rockin. i bet she'll be a blast to drive.
i've wanted one of those for a while and suffered from youtube itus quite a few times lookin at the minee's.
it looks like it's sitting perfect with the 18 and the drivers weight i get what your saying about the 40.
best of luck going forward

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

this was the jacking plate i was going to make.
http://www.dillon-racing.com/jackplate/plans/jack-plate-page-01.htm

But today i was working on a vessel with an even simpler design. so im going to go with it.

IMG_1600.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

But today i was working on a vessel with an even simpler design. so im going to go with it.

This design would probably be easier to use too, although the adjustment wouldn't be as precise as you could get with the other one. I doubt the precision would be necessary anyway to get the results you need. Looks like a good plan.

I had actually bought one similar to the one you're going to make, but didn't end up using it, I extended the transom instead. Ended up recouping my money on ebay.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, the 2 piece jack plate will definitely be quicker & cheaper to make. But w/ less adjustment. It looks to be a 1 shot, all or nothing bracket.

Looking forward to seeing it 'jacked' & hauling @ss across some glass smooth water;)

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I know on tin boats the lean you spoke of can be from the hull not being "tunned" just in front of the transom. Does the same hold true with glass boats and possible causes?

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have moved the battery up front and installed new battery leads. I believe i need a new start solenoid...
I made the jacking plate and took it for another run. It actually sits a little higher in the stern which is good.

The porpoising really has me baffled. Generally on smaller craft when you trim the motor "up" too far you will start to "porpoise" or bounce up and down at higher speeds. On larger vessels they just blow out and you can hear the prop breaking the surface. Correct? Looking at my transom the motor is on a considerable tilt inwards or "down."
Perhaps so far that its forcing the nose down into the water, it then rebounds upwards and so on and so forth. Im out of ideas and its getting annoying.

jackingplate.png

see the angle of the motor? One annoying thing about the jacking plate is that it blocks access to the trim pin so if i want to adjust it the motor needs to be taken off.
I will go to another ramp next time so i can get photos side on of it planing.
6-05.png

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Just a thought - what if you took your motor mounting board and fastened it to the back of the aluminum brackets instead of the front? Would that give you enough clearance for adjusting the trim pin without removing the motor? You might need to shorten your board a little so it will fit between the uprights.

Also I wonder if the stern is just plain too heavy compared to the rest of the boat...more ballast in the front? I don't know much about these smaller ones and their quirks.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Very cool project, Hope you get it ironed out.

LK

jbcurt00

Staff member

I have moved the battery up front and installed new battery leads. I believe i need a new start solenoid... I made the jacking plate and took it for another run. It actually sits a little higher in the stern which is good.

The porpoising really has me baffled. Generally on smaller craft when you trim the motor "up" too far you will start to "porpoise" or bounce up and down at higher speeds. On larger vessels they just blow out and you can hear the prop breaking the surface. Correct? Looking at my transom the motor is on a considerable tilt inwards or "down."

Perhaps so far that its forcing the nose down into the water, it then rebounds upwards and so on and so forth. Im out of ideas and its getting annoying. See the angle of the motor? One annoying thing about the jacking plate is that it blocks access to the trim pin so if i want to adjust it the motor needs to be taken off.
I will go to another ramp next time so i can get photos side on of it planing.
6-05.png
Perhaps so far that its forcing the nose down into the water, it then rebounds upwards and so on and so forth. Im out of ideas and its getting annoying. This photo would suggest that this is a strong possibility.......

Just a thought - what if you took your motor mounting board and fastened it to the back of the aluminum brackets instead of the front? Would that give you enough clearance for adjusting the trim pin without removing the motor? You might need to shorten your board a little so it will fit between the uprights. Also I wonder if the stern is just plain too heavy compared to the rest of the boat...more ballast in the front? I don't know much about these smaller ones and their quirks.
And all this sounds good too, I'm not that familiar w/ jacking plates, but aren't they also to help lengthen the hull & get the prop back in cleaner water flow off the hull, plus height adjustments? But lakelover's advice sounds like it'd certainly help the porpoising & tilt pin problems...

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the only reason i put it on the outside of the plate was so that the entire transom bracket of the motor was hard up against the alloy. on the inside obviously only a small portion will be up against the timber which i assume is bad? I will try and make a new board to fit snugly on the inside and rest against the whole transom assy on the motor.

thanks again for the suggestions they are helping a great deal.