Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

that is hot bud.....

i have ground out side in 105 degrees.....i did it for 6 hours.....that was tough.....but 120?....

i would suggest very short 15 minit sessions.....then re hydrate....another 15 mins.......

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man!!! That is toasty!!!! I feel you though!!! I worked from 18 till i was 23 at a foundry. I operated a Induction melt furnace and melted metal. It got HOT!!! up there! The metal temp had to be around 22-2600 degrees depending on the alloy. It was a OLD type operation. Just pick up the scrap junk metals and throw/shovel/ or whatever type of scrap they were trying to get for cheap just toss it in the liquid metal and duck down as it might be a bit wet and explode out at me!!!! Fun stuff!!!!

On a serious note. If it is that hot in there, please make sure you are taking breaks like oops said. Drink plenty of water and gatorade. Or any type of drink like gatorade. If you can get your hands on another fan, use the smaller one you have for exhaust and the bigger one for intake. And make sure the fan bringing air in is shaded. It makes a LOT of difference.

Boy oh boy!!!! The motivation we boaters have in our boat projects! We will always figure a way to git er done :D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the tips guys, yep a bit on the toasty side ya might say, but I have a idea involving a couple of inexpensive, read cheap, a/c filters, surrounded by the dome of doom, with an inlet and exhaust fan set into it...gotta make it so no glass dust escapes and blocks out the Sun, but since we are Iboaters, I will succeed!

gunsup007

Seaman

GT I just caught up on your post. Looking good man, keep on plug-in. I can't wait to see it finished. Umm, you are brave and extremely talented to be able to do all that work inside a sauna! (The Dust Dome) LOL Be careful and make sure you stay hydrated!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Buy a mist attachment for your hose and set it up behind the fan...yeah it will make your dust sticky but keep you cool as well. Also take plenty of breaks, If you stop sweating it is not because its evaporating inside you...its because you are dehydrated...time for a break in the shade with a couple cold ones of your choice...water is best! When your finished grinding...be sure to take your tarps down...get as close as legally possible to your neighbors house...and shake vigorously!...don't want your tarps to be dusty when you fold em back up!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Buy a mist attachment for your hose and set it up behind the fan...yeah it will make your dust sticky but keep you cool as well. Also take plenty of breaks, If you stop sweating it is not because its evaporating inside you...its because you are dehydrated...time for a break in the shade with a couple cold ones of your choice...water is best! When your finished grinding...be sure to take your tarps down...get as close as legally possible to your neighbors house...and shake vigorously!...don't want your tarps to be dusty when you fold em back up!

Thanks for the mist idea, JDA...I actually thought of setting up the lawn sprinkler, one of those fan types that oscillate, then figured, A- with this kind of heat, it would probably just raise the humidity level unbearably high and, B- somewhat of an electrocution hazard:eek:...

LOL, shake tarps vigorously, hahahaha...hmmmmm, wait a minute, you might have something there...if I do it in small doses, maybe they will become immune to the itch and never bother me again...yeah, that's the ticket...:rolleyes:

Actually, a small advantage to my current set up is that I have yet to use one single ounce of very expensive acetone to clean things up when I am done for the day...
I unplug all the electrical stuff, and give everything a good hosing, inside and out...

And yea, that's what I meant when I said that the sweat was evaporating inside me, just an off-beat way of saying that it was time to hydrate...Believe me when I tell y'all, I have been blessed in knowing my limits, and I don't take that gift for granted...I am very well versed in being properly hydrated, water is my friend, and I usually take precautions when I know I am going to be in the heat for prolonged periods of time, I always start drinking lots of water from the day before...You see, once you start to get dehydrated, it is already too late...I thank my military training for this tidbit of survival info...plus, I help a friend as an assistant instructor, giving firearms training classes throughout the year, when its over a 100, in the middle of August, in the middle of an open field, if you don't take precautions, you will probably end up in a rescue chopper, on your way to the emergency room. By the way, y'all know you can get dehydrated in the cold, too...as WoG says in his sig, "I'm just saying..."

And Thanks for stopping by gunsup, hope to be of continuing interest to all, and cheer on my fellow Iboaters...

Later all,
GT1M

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the mist idea, JDA...I actually thought of setting up the lawn sprinkler, one of those fan types that oscillate, then figured, A- with this kind of heat, it would probably just raise the humidity level unbearably high and, B- somewhat of an electrocution hazard:eek:...

LOL, shake tarps vigorously, hahahaha...hmmmmm, wait a minute, you might have something there...if I do it in small doses, maybe they will become immune to the itch and never bother me again...yeah, that's the ticket...:rolleyes:

Actually, a small advantage to my current set up is that I have yet to use one single ounce of very expensive acetone to clean things up when I am done for the day...
I unplug all the electrical stuff, and give everything a good hosing, inside and out...

And yea, that's what I meant when I said that the sweat was evaporating inside me, just an off-beat way of saying that it was time to hydrate...Believe me when I tell y'all, I have been blessed in knowing my limits, and I don't take that gift for granted...I am very well versed in being properly hydrated, water is my friend, and I usually take precautions when I know I am going to be in the heat for prolonged periods of time, I always start drinking lots of water from the day before...You see, once you start to get dehydrated, it is already too late...I thank my military training for this tidbit of survival info...plus, I help a friend as an assistant instructor, giving firearms training classes throughout the year, when its over a 100, in the middle of August, in the middle of an open field, if you don't take precautions, you will probably end up in a rescue chopper, on your way to the emergency room. By the way, y'all know you can get dehydrated in the cold, too...as WoG says in his sig, "I'm just saying..."

And Thanks for stopping by gunsup, hope to be of continuing interest to all, and cheer on my fellow Iboaters...

Later all,
GT1M

Good to note that. Most people don't know that you can get dehydrated in cold weather also. You will notice when it is extremely cold outside you lose lots of heat (most from your head). That is why its good to wear something over your head. I have worked outside in extreme heat/ and extreme cold weather for 7 years now. I have learned a lot from it. When your out there in the cold bustin your ars working you can get dehydrated. UUGGHH... NOT GOOD!!!

I for sure wouldn't put a mist of water in there. I thought about saying that also. It will like you said make it very humid. Also on top of that it will not be very forgiving with grinded fiberglass sticking to your body worse then it already does.!!!

Decker83

Commander

GT,
Looks good but you really need to vent your Dust Dome. You need fresh air in and hot air out.
Be careful in that heat. Really want to see you finnish this project.
Kent

rrumba

Ensign

GT,
that is extreme for grinding. Can you open up one end at least a little but to create a cross breeze with the fan blowing into the blue dome of death, and/or put a cut at the top and tape a filter in there so the heat can escape through the top as well. should keep the down some as well. get a kiddie pool set up right outside so you can do the nestea splash when you take a break..........;)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hiya D83,rrumba,

Thanks for the thoughts...
I kinda was thinkin the same thing earlier when I was rambling in post #83...

Later,
GT1M

PS- I kinda like the nestea plunge idea...;)

gus-gus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Right on GT, Right on!
Great job. The sprinkler is a good idea if it cycles onto the tarp, the on again off again will cool the tarp and therefore cool the inside. At least is works when humidity is less than yours. However now I live in a high humidity area and it does work here in Seattle. It was 111f two summers ago I used the sprinkler to cool a wall tent I was working in, it worked wonders.
Good luck your progress is awesome. You have some huge nads fo sho!

Friscoboater

Captain

I feel your pain. I did all my work under a cover in the Texas heat of 110. Drink LOTS of water.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Go to nearest garden center, purchase a small water pump...get a big bucket, fill with water...Build a small box...cardboard would work..put the box over the fan with the open side facing in...Buy an A/C filter, and place it in the back of the box, so air flows into box through filter and out the open end of box....run the water pump hose to the top of of the filter and get it to continually soak the filter, letting the water eventually drain back into the bucket to be reused...Run the fan from inside the box, drawing the air through the water cooled filter, and blowing it into your tent. Viola your own home made swamp cooler

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to the entire iboats community...
May the Good Lord's Blessings find all of you in good health and high spirits.

gunsup007

Seaman

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family too! God bless...

Decker83

Commander

Thanks GT1M

Wish the same for you and all of your family.

Kent

gus-gus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

May your stuffing be tasty

May your turkey be plump,

May your potatoes and gravy

Have never a lump.

May your yams be delicious

And your pies take the prize,

And may your Thanksgiving dinner

Stay off your thighs!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi GT just popped in to have a look and am very impressed with how you're going about the restro, that is one impressive grinding hut! and I am so jealous you're compaining about the heat it's about 55 during the day here and about high 30' to 40's at night what I would give to be experiencing Miami heat just for a week..

keep up the good work

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

May your stuffing be tasty

May your turkey be plump,

May your potatoes and gravy

Have never a lump.

May your yams be delicious

And your pies take the prize,

And may your Thanksgiving dinner

Stay off your thighs!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Thanks for the kind poem gus-gus, although the part about staying off my thighs, gut, butt, and everything else I kinda doubt...:D

Hi GT just popped in to have a look and am very impressed with how you're going about the restro, that is one impressive grinding hut! and I am so jealous you're compaining about the heat it's about 55 during the day here and about high 30' to 40's at night what I would give to be experiencing Miami heat just for a week..

Thanks fishfeatures,

If you'd like I would be happy to Fedex, email, UPS, DHL, parcel post, air freight, cargo ship, or just plain send you as much of this hot weather as I can...:facepalm:
Makes it dang near impossible to get anything done in the Dome of Dust and Doom...:rolleyes:

Me, personally, I like the cooler temps, its like free air conditioning...I am originally a Yankee from NYC,NY although that was like over 40 years ago and I still don't like the Yankees or NYC...:p After almost 40 years of living with two seasons, One hot, the other really HOT and wet...I would love 50's in the day and 30's at night. But not too much more than that either way, and I certainly don't like too much overcast and fog and rain...

Status
Not open for further replies.